Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel spacers

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
Hi all,

I've just fitted a set of 4 roughtrax 30mm spacers to my 95 Prado and the original studs on the front are about 4-5mm shorter than the rear, on the rear the roughtrax nuts fit flush onto the cars studs, but on the front there's about 4-5mm of thread still showing in the roughtrax nuts, my question is :- has anyone else come across this, and if so what have you done, fitted extended studs or left them and they've been ok ! The nuts are about 15mm in length, so that means they're held on by 10mm, I'm concerned due to the weight of the car on trhe studs !!!!
I've phoned roughtrax and they say that all 4 spacers are the same and they haven't heard of this before !

Please help !

Thanks,

Nick.

I would have thought that if your front wheels stayed on ok beforehand with the shorter studs, chances are the spacers will stay on ok too...

I think you need someone else with a 90 to check if the front and rear stud lengths are different. Checking the EPC I see different part numbers front to rear and that would be down to length i.e. thickness of hub material they pass through. It could be a previous owner put the wrong studs in or it could be normal but it's unusual IMO.

So last week I took the front spacers off, I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that the spacers were only held on by 8 full revolutions of the nuts, the wheels minus the spacers were held on with 10 revolutions and yes I know its only 2 revs difference but that's 20% or 1/5th. I ordered some extended studs from Merlin motorsport in Wiltshire that arrived at the weekend, I popped out one of the old ones then struggled to get the extended length back in, I had to bend the brake guard plate back nearest where the caliper would fit to give me enough space to fit the stud in, then ferk me if the damned spline wasn't smaller than the OEM stud :evil: After a call to Merlin they realised they'd sent me studs for a Ford and not a Toyota, so do be warned to check this prior to ordering any if you need some, the Toyota spline size is 14.30mm and not 13.80mm as is for Ford Etc.
Hopefully be sorted by Thursday so I can safely drive down to the New forest area on Sunday with my caravan in tow !

Nick.

Hi, I have a LWB 90 Series UK vehicle, I have fitted the same spacers (not actually supplied by roughtrax though).

The Toyota Studs on my 90 series pertrude from the hub the same amount front and rear, I didn't count the number of turns holding the nuts on but the thread was poking out of the nut (if that makes sense) both front and rear.

Dave

Dave, yes that makes sense, it's got me baffled as to why mine are shorter, wouldn't have thought an import should be any different !!! :roll:

Nick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Strange - I can whip mine off and measure them if you need - Are you sure the spacers are all drilled to the same depth - I could probably understand the two sets of spacers havign different depth holes for the mounting bolts (making the studs seem different) but I'm assuming you would have noticed this....

Just a thought

Dave

it's deffo the studs, spacers are good and all 4 are the same, just waiting for new studs to arrive and problem solved, thanks for your offer anyway,

Nick

I have 30mm spacers on mine. Also from roughtrax and have had them on for about 7 years now and not had any problem with them. You should be fine. :thumbup:

Beau said:
I have 30mm spacers on mine. Also from roughtrax and have had them on for about 7 years now and not had any problem with them. You should be fine. :thumbup:

Yes but there seems to be a case of differing stud lengths - Dave Wall above states that his studs are the same front and rear, however mine and BCG's both are shorter at the front by around 4-5mm than the rear.

You may have the same length studs F & R and therefore be OK. :thumbup:

Mine defo same length all round - Mine is a LWB Manual....

It doesn't look like the studs have ever been changed, but who knows.....

Dave

Taken from ToyoDIY for my VIN;

FRONT AXLE HUB
43501D BOLT, HUB (FOR FRONT AXLE RH)
90942 02049 KZJ9*, VZJ9* 6 € 3.71
43502D BOLT, HUB (FOR FRONT AXLE LH)
90942 02049 KZJ9*, VZJ9* 6 € 3.71

REAR AXLE HUB
42311U BOLT, HUB (FOR REAR AXLE RH)
90942 02052 KZJ9*, VZJ9* 6 € 6.14
42312E BOLT, HUB (FOR REAR AXLE LH)
90942 02052 KZJ9*, VZJ9* 6 € 6.14

At least I *think* these must be the wheel studs, as the diagrams have been removed. :thumbdown:

Strange that the rear ones seem to be almost twice the price of the fronts??

Diagrams still there.

Chris

Screenshot2012-01-24at215410.jpg

I fitted 30mm spacers to my 90 a few years ago, found exactly the same thing -been offroading many times and did loads of heavy towing with no problems at all :thumbup:

I don't think they are different side-to-side, the part numbers for the RH & LH fronts and the RH & LH rears match.

However they do seem to be different front-to-rear.

PETE BELL said:
I fitted 30mm spacers to my 90 a few years ago, found exactly the same thing -been offroading many times and did loads of heavy towing with no problems at all :thumbup:

Pete,

Mine ended up like this on the front :shock:

Landcruiserwheelspacer004small.jpg

chadr said:
PETE BELL said:

Pete,

Mine ended up like this on the front :shock:

Landcruiserwheelspacer004small.jpg

I fitted spacers to my colorado and all was good but that is not enough thread to go trundling down the road with and like you i am baffled as to why some have shorter studs.

Joe

Back