Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheels?

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I might/will be changeing tyres again soon. So the size I am looking at it 255/100/16 or 900/16. I am told by a tyre fitter friend that will fit on a 7.5/8.5" wide rim. But I am sure someone on here or the "other forum" that you need a 6" wide rim.

Anyway I have a spare set of alloys. But what wheels off another Toyota Land Cruiser is a 7" wide wheel and has the right off set or after an market wheel? I am thinking that some 70/75 series were fitted with the right wheels with the right offset, anyone know?

I know I can get Hilux wheels and use wheel spacers, but as I said I do not like wheel spacers.

Paul

if they're 255/100's i.m guessing they're michelin xzl's? I've seen plenty pics of 80's on factory steels running around the desert, so they must manage. Can't remember the name of the german camper conversions, but a lot of them seemed to run those on 80 steels, which i assume are 8" wide.

seems ian ran a set at one stage, looks like his are on hilux rims though.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... bie-2.html

The 255 85 deff goes on a std Yota alloy. I checked the manufacturer's data and they confirmed that this was the max wheel size that you could fit them to. I looked for 255 100 but couldn't find any stock anywhere. The tyre calculators didn't seem to have 100 aspect ratio in there data base so I couldn't' work out the height but I bet they are 34 - 35"

Chris

Given that the aspect ratio is 100, wouldn't that mean that the "thickness" of the tyre is the same as the width - i.e. in this case 255mm ?

So taking a size of 255/100R16 and using 25.4mm per inch (so 16 inches = 406.4mm), the tyre height would be 255 + 406.4 + 255 mm = 916.4mm. Which in turn is 36.1 inches.

I did run 255/100 XZLs for a while, Toby still does. I think the recommended rim was 6.50H. The H seems to be the key here, it means the actual profile of the rim is different to a normal car rim.

My local tyre bay could not get the tyres to seat on an 8" alloy, the walls were too stiff to stretch out that far. They tried a quick release air tank and even as a last dirch attempt the lighter fuel trick.

Yes, they are just over 36".

Ian

Correct Chad - I just couldn't be arsed to work that out. There was a guy on the drive delivering my new bumper! Priorities I'm afraid. :thumbup:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
..... There was a guy on the drive delivering my new bumper! Priorities I'm afraid. :thumbup: Chris

Nice one - look forward to seeing that thread! :thumbup:

I was offered Ian's set a few years ago. I know they come up to just over 36" tall and the ones I am looking at are just over 37" tall and they are not XZLs as they are more like a tractor tyre :shock: . I do not do the mileage I use to do. As the last time I went laneing was MAY :( . So I am going to take up trialing again, just this time in the LC :D .

Paul

Those should be a better size with the 4.88's!

What about Colorado VX rims? Those are 16x7 if I'm not mistaken and 6 stud. Key question is whether the offset is right for you...

Back