Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When it's time for a new chainsaw…

Thanks Flint. Think your right re chain.

After the Stihl strimmer failure I bought an unbranded one from B+Q. Totally brilliant. Shaft runs cool and it starts easily. Very nicely balanced as well. This is the 4th one I've had in 30 years. The first was a qualcast one and the conrod snapped. I welded it up and it lasted another year before breaking again. Just pressed steel.

We alway have used Jonsered saws in the past without a problem, one or two of the Stilh homeowner saws were real bad to start

I've recently got this
due to neighbours and noise from the Stihl I have had and loved for a few years. Will see how it lasts when used in anger. In thevUS they call it 60 volt and the same saw is called a 54 volt 0ver here due to 20v and 18v batteries which the batteries also run.

i hear what your sayin fellas, must be the thinner air up here... but I don't have the same starting problems with my dolmar ps 52, nor the kawasaki hedge cutters. my cheap Ryobi strimmer starts much better than the £380 stihl..

Has somebody had a fiddle with the carb or has there been fuel left in to gum up jets? Something's not right. Possibly fuel mix?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Or it is the model as I said a few a homeowner one's we noted bad starters, google the model number

Has somebody had a fiddle with the carb or has there been fuel left in to gum up jets? Something's not right. Possibly fuel mix?
no, we had it from new rich, its not been used for a good while now, the diaphragm in the carb probable needs replacing by now. my point is we don't have any these temperamental starting issues with other brands of kit.
I'm well aware arborists and gardeners etc swear by them so I have no idea..

Or it is the model as I said a few a homeowner one's we noted bad starters, google the model number
not used any of there stuff for a good while now david, only remaining thing is the strimmer that's gathering dust.

I really like the battery powered saws and have been thinking of buying one when the funds allow. Be good if you had an off grid solar system to charge it up on and again you have no fumes to breathe in which is the main thing I don't enjoy with the motor driven saws.

I've often imagined a tree surgeon 40ft up a tree cutting limbs off with and electric saw running off a diesel generator shouting down to the grounds man "chuck us up another extension lead!":lol:

I really like the battery powered saws and have been thinking of buying one when the funds allow. Be good if you had an off grid solar system to charge it up on and again you have no fumes to breathe in which is the main thing I don't enjoy with the motor driven saws.

I've often imagined a tree surgeon 40ft up a tree cutting limbs off with and electric saw running off a diesel generator shouting down to the grounds man "chuck us up another extension lead!":lol:
yeah battery powered stuff is coming of age now with lithium ion, I have as much of it as I can afford for tools. I hate leads. I hate 110v transformers even more..

I agree Mike, can't say I approve of the 110v system either as you don't even get a safe voltage to earth being 55v each side. Better than a 230v belt but still not classed as safe.

Ever encountered a 'Porta Tran'?

they havnt seemed to of changed for about 80 years neither.. its about time we had a depleted uranium power cell the size of a match box..

no I havnt rich.

It was a power tool rated transformer built into the corner of a metal drill case. Damned handy if a bit weighty for carrying round London in the 80s when one ten was king. 'T was the apprentices job (me) :) .

I'm a big fan of 110v tools... 5 kva box and big maffel power tools go hand in hand! 110v and 240v is like the difference between a 60 series and a land rover 90! lol

I'm a big fan of 110v tools... 5 kva box and big maffel power tools go hand in hand! 110v and 240v is like the difference between a 60 series and a land rover 90! lol
maffel? now theres a bit of quality.

It was a power tool rated transformer built into the corner of a metal drill case. Damned handy if a bit weighty for carrying round London in the 80s when one ten was king. 'T was the apprentices job (me) :) .
how do these brushless motors work?

my 13 year old dewalt 14.4 volt cordless drill is a bit of a site joke, its like triggers broom, I replaced 3 sets of brushes and then put a new motor in it, its on its third set of batteries.
I cant help but repair stuff..

Now this I don't understand, for the same tool, the power is the same so the voltage has no bearing on it. From a safety aspect, 240v tools have no Earth, and in fairness so do probably all 110v hand held tools which is really important as that Earth wire is the one that can kill you if you're unlucky and no amount of stepping down of voltage or RCDs will help you if you get voltage down it through a non isolated transformer.

Are your transformers isolated from earth or are they linked? A lot are linked.

Last edited:
how do these brushless motors work?
Well there'll be a permanent magnet involved somewhere, almost certainly the rotor. Then I'm guessing there's a multipolar coil around the outside with some clever pulsing electronics to cause it to spin but this is pure guesswork as I've not pulled one apart or otherwise looked into it. All I know is they're pretty powerful.

I used to have 14.4v stuff but it was just a tad not man enough for drilling joists at the time so I went 18v and have now standardised across my tools, with the lithium ion, buying some bare units.

Back