Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where would your interesting trip be to?

Hi Graham when do you think this will happen and how long do you think the entire trip will it take
RAM
Hi Ram,

The time taken to do the trip will largly depend on how often the group wants to stop, and take in the sights.
I feel with moderate stops, seeing some things, missing others, then I guess as a good starting point would be 8 weeks.
Could be less, could be more.
By far the most stopping and viewing time should be in China.
Perhaps some thing like this~~~~~

Take 3 weeks to get to the Chinese border at Krygystan, thats 4100 miles with 21 days = average of 200 miles per day, what you don't do one day, then need catch up on the next day..
Kyrg border crossing.jpg
Take 4 weeks in China, 3636 miles with 28 days = average of 129 miles per day, what you don't do one day, then need catch up on the next day..
For example:
Karakoram Highway , Old Silk Road, to Aksu & Kashgar, via Taklamaken (Read up on Taklamaken)
Turpan, (Grape Gully, & Goachang & Bezeklik)
Chengdu (Pandas)
Xi'an, (Terracotta army)
Taishan, (Beautiful Tai'an mountain)
Beijing, too much to list
Erenhot, which is the exit from China into Mongolia.
Then 1500 miles within Mongolia, from the entry point at Erenhot to Ulaangom, by the Sylkhemyn Nuruu National park, on the M52 Mongolia / Russia border.
From exit Mongolia to Calias say about 5100 miles with 21 days = 240 miles per day, what you don't do one day, then need catch up on the next day..

I would expect an average speed on the tarmac that we travel would see cruise control set to 50 mph, but could be a lot more or a lot less depending.
50 mph is good for economy, pretty stress free, and most trucks should enjoy 25 mpg to 30 mpg.
50 mph wont suit every one, but give and take.
But I feel that any one doing this trip, is really only going to do it once, so enjoy.
I would drive our LC120 with Fay my wife, as the guide for the group.
On returning to UK, I will sell our Land Cruiser, and buy one here in China.
Then we would probably do a second tour, but we would meet the group at the Chinese arrival border.
Then depending on what the group had planned, we would do the guide in China, until time to say goodbye, when we left you all at the departure border crossing.
Acommodation in China will largly be small 3 star hotels, costing about £15 to £20 a night, for your own account.
Fuel, not that really expensive when you get out of EU. China is some thing like 70 pence / liter.
I think roof top sleeping in China is not worth the effort, as one must (should) book into a hotel, and be registered with the police, which only 3 star and above hotels can do in China.
In the other countries, I don't know, probably a roof top tent sleep one night, and cheap hotel for the next night.

Gra.

Last edited:
This sounds quite a trip! I often wondered where I would travel to after I've done my Southern Africa tour. I've done Western Europe so that's off my list. There is Eastern Europe which looks really good and Nordkapp looks very interesting but all the way to China....yeah, I fancy that.

I think what would be very useful is if you could gather any info on recommended places to stay in the transit countries to and from China during your 1st tour and recommend those places to whoever comes out to meet you at the Chinese border. For me that would be an important bit (mainly to convince SWAMBO :icon-biggrin: that "someone trustworthy has been there and checked it out" kind of thing). Feedback from the travellers would then keep those places in check.

I hope this works out Graham and you can definitely put me down as an interested party for your Chinese tour!

I can just about squeeze two month off - on a recent trip we did just under 5,000miles in 10 days 50MPH is ideal for me, if you are starting a list please put me down as #1 as this is something I have been thinking about for two years.

Let me know if can help with anything.

Hi IOM,
Still early days yet, but I am happy to see interest.
China and the "Stans" is still quite an unknown to most people.
I know very little about Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

A tourist visa is needed for Kazakhstan
I believe no visa is required ( or free visa on arrival) for Kyrgystan.
No need a visa for Ukraine for up to 90 days.
Need Russia business double entry visa
Need a single entry 90 day tourist visa for Mongolia.

Gra.

Hi Graham

you've done quiet a bit research, i've driven to mongolia and drove through most os the stans (missed pak,afgan and tajik)
we mostly rushed through most of it but where ever we stopped it was really nice.

we didn't find decent cheap hotels where ever we passed through the stans, they were either really awful or really expensive.
not much hassle at border crossings and roads were awful full of massive pot holes so was impossible to build up any decent speed but like i said we just rushed
we'll love to go back and explore properly so i'll def be interested
ram

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have some prices, but really want to get this way down, before any committal.

The paperwork for the temparary vehicle import and export, and the provincial and inter-provincial travel is quite difficult.

We have almost all the government offices who needs to get this paperwork.

Also there is the temporary driving licenses you guys will need, and insurance.

Temporary driving licenses, and insurance are the easy and cheap parts.

Gra.

Just waiting for her to do the exam now.
Fingers crossed she passes.
I got my Chinese driving licence.
The hassle part is submitting the paperwork for the vehicles.
We are reasonably sure we have the right official departments to send this to.

Gra.

Just waiting for her to do the exam now.
Fingers crossed she passes.
I got my Chinese driving licence.
The hassle part is submitting the paperwork for the vehicles.
We are reasonably sure we have the right official departments to send this to.

Gra.

chinese law is too annoying.
nobody can drive own car in chinese mainland.
all Mongolians drive their cars only in border town like Erlian.

so you have to check the chinese laws.

i think, you can't tour in china by your own car.

chinese law is too annoying.
=Not annoying, just need to follow the rules.

nobody can drive own car in chinese mainland.
=Yes they can, but need follow the rules.

all Mongolians drive their cars only in border town like Erlian.
=Because they don't have Chinese licence, so can not drive in China.

so you have to check the chinese laws.
=I know the require to drive in China.

i think, you can't tour in china by your own car.
=You can drive your own car in China, but there is many things you must do before to make the papers right.

Hi Ganbayer,
Just a few comments I added.

I think you are in the Ulaanbaatar City?
Are you downtown, or out the city?

Gra.

thanks your comment,
share your experience in chinese laws and traffic rules.
off course how to take chinese driver license.

yes, i'm live in Ulaanbaatar city.

Back