Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where would your interesting trip be to?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
For me,
I would like from UK with a loop through China and Mongolia.

Here is what I would like, (secretly planning)

Step 1/ Calais to Kyrgyzstan
Step 2/ Kyrgyzstan through China China via Taklamaken desert, old Silk Route, Xi'an Beijing, then to Inner Mongolia.
Step 3/ Inner Mongolia to Outer Mongolia.
Step 4/ Outer Mongolia to Russia
Step 5/ Russia back to Calais.

Here are the pictures maps.

Gra.

Attachments

• Calais to Kyrgzstan.jpg
    Calais to Kyrgzstan.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 2   China map route.jpg
    2 China map route.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 105
  • 3   Mongolia.jpg
    3 Mongolia.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 4   Return.jpg
    4 Return.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I'm going to the Lake District next week :wtf:, not the same distance I know.

That's some trip Graham, how many miles do you reckon?

That's some trip Graham, how many miles do you reckon?
Hi Chas, well didn't get as far as working out a distance yet, but some thing like,
Calais to the border with Kyrgyzstan and China about 6780km
Looping around China and inner Mongolia about 6150 km
From Border with Inner Mongolia and Outer Mongolia, back to Calais, about 9700 km

Ha, :icon-biggrin:ha, :icon-biggrin: 22,630 km, :icon-biggrin: (14,173 miles) :icon-biggrin: oh :icon-biggrin: my :icon-biggrin: god, :icon-biggrin:need :icon-biggrin:a :icon-biggrin:rethink :icon-biggrin:maybe.

Gra.

Roughly in my 80, that would be about £1400 in fuel alone. :icon-surprised:

Hi Chas,
That seems very good running costs for you.
14,000 miles, for £1,400, your 80 is very efficient.

I don't know any fuel prices really.
I think I would expect about 28 mpg from my diesel 120 series.
So about 510 gallons or 2300 liters

Gra.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
14000 mls @ 18 mpg = about 779 gls @ £1,79 = Roughly £1394, I think, or have I worked that out wrong :think:

I think you left out converting gallons to liters, so should be:
14000/18 = 777 gals
777 * 4.54 = 3527 L
3527 *£1.50 = £5291

Of course that's based on UK fuel prices, I know for example in Russia it's only £0.50 per liter, so would be less

I think you left out converting gallons to liters, so should be:
14000/18 = 777 gals
777 * 4.54 = 3527 L
3527 *£1.50 = £5291

Of course that's based on UK fuel prices, I know for example in Russia it's only £0.50 per liter, so would be less
:doh: I thought I was doing something wrong, it didn't seem enough but I just couldn't see what it was. Thanks for pointing that out, :thumbup: obvious really.

Last edited:
thought something was wrong! 3000 miles this summer cost us £700 of diesel in europe

Hi Chas, you had me sweating for a moment !!:icon-biggrin:

Any way, All fuel Prices
I guessing at 9 km per liter (26 mpg), any more is a bonus, really would hope for 10 km per liter (28,2 mpg)
I excel the km's, with costs, km's in EU, Ukraine, Russia, Kaza, Kyrg, China, Mongolia, Russia, Ukraine, EU.
22,758 km for Euro2,310 AT 1.20 exchange gives about £1950

Gra.

Last edited:
That looks like an awesome trip Gra. Never mind the fuel though, the paperwork getting into each of those countries could be tough?

That looks like an awesome trip Gra. Never mind the fuel though, the paperwork getting into each of those countries could be tough?
Actually not that difficult for that route.
Ukraine, Russia, Kaza, Kyrg, Mongolia reasonably strait forward, just with reasonable visa costs.
By far the most difficult is China.
The notoriously difficult temporary import, temporary drivers licence, and the all guide costs.
However, Fay has been studying hard, and will sit exams around middle of December.
If she passes, then she can become an English tour guide.
The loose plan is to set up a small adventure tour company here, and if it all works as planned, she then offer tours around the interesting parts of China.
Fay, as the guide in our Land Cruiser, would fore-fill the Chinese law requirement for foreigner travel.
Fay would do the temporary vehicle import, temporary Chinese number plates, arrange temporary drivers licenses.
We would plan for small groups of up to 2 or 3 other vehicles, totally 4 vehicles at the most.
That would take the group to 6 additional persons, with ourselves making the party to 8, after that, the group could become to diversified, and you can't do that in China.
The route has to be planned, laid out, and approved by all the PSB (Public Security Bureau's) who's jurisdiction you will travel through, and the group needs to stick to it. This is typically why the Chinese tour company's charge so much.
Fay would advise on completing the Chinese tourist visa, which really isn't that difficult.
Land Cruisers or Land Rovers as these are very comprehensively spares supported throughout China that I know of.

Gra.

Last edited:
However, Fay has been studying hard, and will sit exams around middle of December.
If she passes, then she can become an English tour guide.
The loose plan is to set up a small adventure tour company here, and if it all works as planned, she then offer tours around the interesting parts of China.
Fay, as the guide in our Land Cruiser, would fore-fill the Chinese law requirement for foreigner travel.
Fay would do the temporary vehicle import, temporary Chinese number plates, arrange temporary drivers licenses.
We would plan for small groups of up to 2 or 3 other vehicles, totally 4 vehicles at the most.
That would take the group to 6 additional persons, with ourselves making the party to 8, after that, the group could become to diversified, and you can't do that in China.
The route has to be planned, laid out, and approved by all the PSB (Public Security Bureau's) who's jurisdiction you will travel through, and the group needs to stick to it. This is typically why the Chinese tour company's charge so much.
Fay would advise on completing the Chinese tourist visa, which really isn't that difficult.
Land Cruisers or Land Rovers as these are very comprehensively spares supported throughout China that I know of.

Gra.

Sounds great - good luck, hope its a success!

Hi Graham when do you think this will happen and how long do you think the entire trip will it take
RAM

Sounds like a great idea Gra. :clap:

I hope its a success for you. :icon-wink:

Can I be the first to express interest in this - lets make it happen...

I will certainly keep an eye on this one, Russia, mongolia, stans & china etc certainly appeal!!!

BTW Im just back from Egypt again & going to be giving the truck its annual overhaul / check / sand removal session in the next couple of months!

Andy

Hi All,
Well Fay is studying, and burying herself into the books.
If she passes, which she should really.
A starting date would be difficult to say at the moment, but perhaps May, June, July for starting could be a rough guess for now.

Gra.

Back