Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which GPS 1:25000 mapping app

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Seems to have been a while since this was last discussed.

I've just bought a Galaxy TAB 4 and looking for a mapping app for laning and response use, usual things like plotting routes, distance calcs and offline map storage.

It looks like a choice between Memory Map and ViewRanger but the cost of all UK at 1:25000 Explorer (for BOATS etc) is pretty off putting, I'd prefer all UK so I've got mapping wherever and whenever I need it.

Any current views on this?

Last edited:
I've used viewranger on the iPad for a while now and find it superb. For the UK I've only ever bought the OS map tiles as I needed them in 1:50000 for the areas I wanted. I also used it across Italy and France both for following trails and recording tracks. I think viewranger currently has a sale on for whole of UK maps and if they don't, they often do usually saving at least 20%

I got os maps full uk in the 1:50000 for £50 they sell them off now and again from there ebay shop.

i have view ranger on my pad cant fault it tbh

Are you after:

A seamless mapping app, that will sell you the app, and maps?

Or just maps that can be converted for your use?

Or just the app?

I'm not sure what maps are available for your neck of the woods, but if you had a mapping app for which you were able to convert/use many types of map, it would be more useful (but more initial effort) than an all inclusive solution which would be limited in the available maps.

I personally use oziexplorer,and source my maps separately. It is available for Android and pc. The pc version has tools for calibrating any map/aerial photo or even a mud map you drew in ms paint. Then you calibrate the map, and it can be used. When I have time, I'll post some pics.

Edit: when I have 15 posts, I can post links/pics.

I run memory map on a galaxy tab 3 (10.1") using the android app, works great for laning imo and you can buy 1:25k maps. Can plot routes etc and log where youve been, the gps is pretty acurate. Can didplay postion in co ordinates, speed, distance etc etc.

You can download the app free iirc, get a standard map then you pay for the 1:25k stuff. maybe worth a look at the app if still free before part with the cash.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just couple pics of the screen

]
20150101_110133.jpg

20150101_105916.jpg

Last edited:
Our RT uses View Ranger that was given to us by them, they gave us 1.25 mapping of the area we cover. We find it by far the best for mobile use

I have a few different apps, all do something slightly different......

Arctic Quest - I use this as I have all uk 1:25000 uk maps on .qct format which this reads. Probably memory map files originally.

Map.me - this allows me to download entire worlds road maps for offline use, ok for on road nav as unlike satnav I can zoom out and still read map :)

Everytrail.pro - this allows me to use aerial photos offline, ideal for navigating on tracks not marked on map.me

I also have viewranger but am probably going to delete it as never used, and also an app called mytracks which lets me record journeys and then download them as a gpx file - problem is im a techno numpty and havent tried it yet.......

The os maps are all on an sd card so not using tablets memory.

There's more options... You can use OziExplorer or BackCountry Navigator for Android (and pay for the maps or search for free topo maps - I've seen 1:50000 UK free maps), there's whole bunch of OSM (OpenStreetMaps) stuff - free, there's also some Garmin apps for Android (AFAIR StreetPilot and Viago) - accepts all Garmin maps.

I use CoPilot on iPad/iPhone (don't know if it's available on Android) but the maps are installed on the device so it works anywhere in the world offline, using GPS.

Price about 40 Euros including the world maps, which you can install/uninstall by region depending on available device memory.

Back