Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Replacement Headlight Bulbs

lc 120

Country Flag
uk
I need more light, what do you recommend, the HIR2/9012 or Osram Nightbreakers HB4?

Different vehicle but I have been pleased with the performance of Halfords Super Brilliance headlight bulbs.

Nightbreakers are good. There's a long and good thread on mud about this issue.
Another issue is that when you use low beam, you don't want the light to be too strong. If you put in 100 W bulbs, and switch on the 100W fogs as well, your eyes will adjust to the strong light close to the vehicle and you will see less of what is in the dimmer light further away. OTOH, with weaker low beams, you will see more of what is further away.
This is all dependant on the conditions, your environment. E.g. if you drive only on well lit streets and highways, you might want stronger low beams.

Not sure 100W bulbs would be legal in the UK?

If you're sticking to the standard (55W?) bulb then the Osram Nightbreakers are good - I've used them in various ratings (80%, 90% and now unlimited) over the years and have been very happy.

The current Philips X-treme vision claim to produce 100% more visible light than standard and have won the 2013 Auto Express Best Buy FWIW.

The halfords bulbs when you get them on special offer very good value. These are the ones I have and I've been happy.

100w would not be road legal in the UK and more likely to cause you an electrical prob, 80s tend to melt their fuse/relay box.

I recommend the hella plus or Phillips vision plus bulbs, fairly cheap and effective

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had 100w in my low and high beams. The low burned out the bulb holders and went thought builds at an alarming rate. Have just bought and fitted a 55w hid kit for low beam. Light is very impressive

If anyone is interested, Halfords are doing BOGOF on their Super Brilliance bulbs at the moment.

what bulbs fit an 80 H4 and H1? so i can go buy with out looking
stu

I replaced both the low and high beam standard bulbs with the HIR bulbs. The increase wasn't dramatic but definitely noticeable and quite welcome, it's a cheap and worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

you could Upgrade the wiring to the bulbs -made a big difference to mine.

I don't believe the 100 has the issues of sh*t headlight wiring.

I had to re wire the bulb holders to porcelain ones as the 100w bulbs burnt them out

Ive just bought a HID H4 kits from HIDs 4 U
Havent fitted yet as I don't think they will work, as the H4 on the Amazon lowbeam stays on when you use High beam
The kit, uses the same HID bulb for high and low, Theres a shield that click over when selecting high / low.
So I will check this out.

Douh that's what I get for not checking ! Mine are not H4 :( theres a bulb for high beam and a bulb for low beam

Back