Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing rear tail light bulb on a LC4 D4D 04/2006 Land Cruiser.

scooby

Country Flag
uk
I know it's a pretty stupid question but could anyone tell me how to get the tail light bulb out of it's holder as per images below please ?

The Cruiser has this type of tail light.

IMG_9573-A.jpg

And although I've got the bulb holder out of the socket I just can't figure out how to get the bulb out of the holder. I've tried turning it, pulling it straight out, etc. but I don't want to break anything so wondered if anyone would be kind enough to help me please ? Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.
IMG_9571-A.jpg

They pull out mate. Be firm but gentle - if that makes sense.
Try wiggling it while pulling it - they are a positive fit in there, and the location of the assemblies doesn't help with any slight corrosion that may be there.
Those bumper lights are not the easiest to get to, with minimal access behind.
Good luck !

Thank you very much for that explanation. I did try pulling it out and wriggling it at the same time but without any success. I did actually wonder if there was some special kind of tool to get it out by expanding the holder somehow. I even tried some long-pronged circlip pliers but no joy. I don't want to get stroppy because I'm not 100% sure that I have a replacement bulb. It's not the best idea that Toyota have ever come up with that's for sure ! :astonished:

It's a long while ago, but IIRC broke one of mine getting it out, fortunately I had gloves on, I then got grips on the guts of it to pull out. A bit scary as to whether it was coming out or not.
There is no tool - it's a 'simple' push in, pull out, as most are on the vehicle. Don't try and insert anything into the holder.
I think the shoulder on the bottom of the bulb is rounded, but you could try a screwdriver under it and gently lever it out from alternate sides against the white plastic holder, very carefully. Just a bodgit idea which may well break the bulb anyway. At your own risk of course.
I didn't have a bulb either, lol.

Last edited:
Thank you again for relating your experience. I intend to get a couple of the correct bulbs and then have another go at it. I thought that there is a strong possibility that the present one might break, especially if I started to get stroppy with it. Good idea of yours to wear gloves. Mrs. Scooby is always telling me off for not wearing them ! Then I thought it might be a case of a pair of long nosed electricians pliers or water pump pliers would get it out.

Can you give me the blub specification for that? I'm in the process of buying a new bulb for my red light on the same one. The lens is cracked as well but it's €111 for a new one, it's crazy!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you give me the blub specification for that? I'm in the process of buying a new bulb for my red light on the same one. The lens is cracked as well but it's €111 for a new one, it's crazy!

You can get the lenses in Ireland for €37. North South 4x4 Spares - NS4x4 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
I think they might be copies, but a lot cheaper. Originals from Amayama are about €65 with delivery. Not sure how observant Irish customs are. British customs seem to have stopped looking at parcels under £100 for duty, but you may not be so lucky.

Pretty sure the "red" bulb is just a W5W, but I usually just pop it out and have a look.

NS4x4 are the best! I'm going to pop into halfords tonight for the bulb and might order the lens too. The CVRT hate my jeep right now. She is in the exact same shape she was last year but the list of major fails is getting bigger and bigger.

These lights are one piece, lens is not seperate
APS auto parts do them for around £35 new (ebay) which is cheap (probably aftermarket)

Back