Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which way round do you install brake pads

Rob

Garage
OK I know that the frictional surface needs to be in contact with the disc :roll: but brake pads come with wear indicators which are tiny metal brackets on the end of the brake pads. Am I right in saying that these are there to make a noise when the pads wear out? If so do I need to fit them with the brackets in any particular direction? I would ask top or bottom but not all callipers are fitted on the same side of the disc so could you please give me an answer in relation to the rotation of the disc when the vehicle is moving forwards.

Rob, on any i've ever seen or fitted, it simply depends which side of the disk you fit the pad. It will eventually rub the disk when it gets worn and shouldn't matter as to the rotation direction. Check the instructions in the pad pack; if there are any particulars it will show there. The last pads I fitted from EBC came with no wear indicators (I think :shock: ). Not sure why. I check fairly regularly anyway so I don't really care. They tend to be for those that 'fit and forget'.

Rob said:
OK I know that the frictional surface needs to be in contact with the disc :roll: but brake pads come with wear indicators which are tiny metal brackets on the end of the brake pads. Am I right in saying that these are there to make a noise when the pads wear out? If so do I need to fit them with the brackets in any particular direction? I would ask top or bottom but not all callipers are fitted on the same side of the disc so could you please give me an answer in relation to the rotation of the disc when the vehicle is moving forwards.

Hi Rob

Not too sure what you are trying to fit, but wear indicators are connected via a wire that shows on the dash that
the pads need changing.

Sounds like the metal bits are "anti sequel" shims, that fit behind the pad (between the piston and the metal backing of the pad)

If I am on the wrong track, please post picture !
Steve

Steve wrong track completely. Rob I know what you mean. Taking the disc in forward rotation you can either fit the clip so that it is compressed when it contacts the disc or is spread open by the disc - yes? I have always fitted them so that they get spread. That way they are not going to wear the disc by digging in.

Make sense?

Chris

Steve im talking about these wear indicators (not LC pads BTW):
disc-brake7.jpg

Also the 80 doesn't have any fancy electronic wear indicators, but my sisters basic 1989 BMW 318 E30 has :?

I have not found any instructions that came with the pads, they are Toyota pads BTW.

The only reason I am asking is in case they damage the discs if fitted incorrectly. Chris your theory sounds reasonable, now i just cant remember which way reound i fitted mine :roll: Ill check the FSM to see if that will help.

Attachments

• disc-brake7.jpg
    disc-brake7.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 99
According to the FSM they should be mounted so the wear indicators are at the bottom on the 80 series, meaning that the wear indicators dig into the disc under braking when going forwards. I can only assume that if fitted the other way round (ie get pulled apart) that there should not be any problems with them damaging the discs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One thing that surprised me is that the Pads are handed - on the rear of the OEM pads there is an imprinted "L" and "R"...

I couldn't work out why - so I just replaced mine as they were fitted before (i.e. handed and with the wear indicator on the bottom).

Back