Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which year / version if you had the choice ?

As for the gearbox, please test both 4 & 5 speed to determine what You like best.

Here are pictures of respective 4 Speed
4spd.jpg
& 5 Speed Autoboxes
5spd.jpg

Both pics pinched online.

In the top pic U also clearly see the HEVAC manual controllers which are a dead giveaway for it being pre October `03 IIRC (or thats where I have found the "spilt" to be)
I have come across some rare late `03-> early `04 with 4-speed & "automatic" screenbased HEVAC & Info-Tainment systems.

As for the gearbox, please test both 4 & 5 speed to determine what You like best.

Here are pictures of respective 4 SpeedView attachment 112716 & 5 Speed Autoboxes
View attachment 112717

In the top pic U also clearly see the HEVAC manual controllers which are a dead giveaway for it being pre October `03 IIRC (or thats where I have found the "spilt" to be)
I have come across some rare late `03-> early `04 with 4-speed & "automatic" screenbased HEVAC & Info-Tainment systems.

Yep there are a few 03's with the upgrades inc 18" wheels new grille etc but not the 5 spd auto.about. Not seen a 5 speeder before 04.

Thats cool - looks obvious now you put them side by side :oops:

The one im in talks with at the moment is 100% a speed then :)

Personally I prefer the heating being controlled seperatly by the twist knobs but being picky about things like that could mean I end up waiting a long time !

Unfortunatelly You will not get manual HEVAC controll & 5speed Automatic ExFactory....

Indeedy but cant have it all can we - ill take either option on the right vehicle in all honesty :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Here are pictures of respective 4 SpeedView attachment 112716 & 5 Speed Autoboxes
View attachment 112717

Dont know if its just on the rav 4, but i much prefere the straight up and down movement of the shifter on my fathers 02 100 series. On ems 010 rav i find the stagered shifter movement very notchy and unnecessary.

Unfortunatelly You will not get manual HEVAC controll & 5speed Automatic ExFactory....

......... to qualify that statement you need to add " UK spec" as I have a 5 speeder with the manual controls sat nav VX spec reg 18/09/2003. Its an Oz import and they, along with other markets got the 5 spd auto in 03.

Interesting Andy! What is the exact build date?
Any chance You can throw up a pic of Your centre console?
Ever so often I see the odd import or foreign marked import throwing the "known" facts off bounce.
I don`t know if Toyota as other makers have differed the specs based on marked & what side the steering wheel sits on

BTW; There is at least 1 more centre console option. This pictured ifr from a (petrol) UZJ MY`02 with 4-speed, Sold new in the US (& YES, it is a Toyota not a Lexus :) )
2002_013.jpg

I just rechecked some figures related to when the 5-speed was released; According to my Parts Catalouge, Toyota introduced the 5-Speed A750 Auto gearbox mated to the 4.2 Diesel in June 2003.

I have yet to see them in person or even offered for sale in Europe.

Possibly introduced earlier in other markeds the way Any suggests relating to his OZ-Import?

Fell me in here please :)

Hi Pete, AFAIK mine was bought brand new in OZ and shipped directly to the UK and registered here. Its an interesting spec, VX trim but 17" wheels and no AHC, no roof bars, twin tanks though,no heated seats.
How would I find out the build date?
I think my console is similar but not the same as the image, I'll have to go to where it's stored and take a pic.

So most of what I have learnt about 100's on this thread seems to indicate the 50th anniversary one Nathanrobo has for sale is very clean and rust free making it a good option even if it's a 4 speed auto

I know several friends who have working 100's and to be fair both are pretty good as far as rust go's although one friend had the rear axle of his 100 nearly fall off due to rusty axle brackets.

I remember looking at a new 100 in about 2003 with a view to buying one....even in the dealers show room parts of the engine block and ancillary's were going rusty .......it's almost like Toyota knew they had beaten all the opposition with the 80 series and given up a bit with the 100......it wasn't only Toyota though in the late 90's and early 00's.....Mercedes quality was pretty dire and they were not alone.

I'm no Luddite and having driven more than a few.. appreciate the 100 is much better dynamically to drive and quieter and more refined than an 80 ....it just exasperates me that Toyota didn't improve things like rust prevention too......
After all my lowly Fiat Ducatto has a galvanised body and we have 07 reg ones on the fleet that have spent all their life as overloaded Service vans and we calculated that one with 120K on the clock had done 25K of that off road on fields and tracks.......not a spot of rust.....dent and dings ? .....loads , all it ever has needed are tyres , a clutch and 2 lower suspension arms .

Andy; Shoot me Your VIN pr PM please & I will try & pull the build spec through my parts catalouge.

@Grimbo; Faulty & crusted rear axle brackets is not unheard of but the 90 seems to be more prone to that...
Maybe because there are more of them around??

As for rust on new vehicles; I remeber I was ran off a Merc showground for pointing out rust under the bonnet of a brand new W210 at the time....
They went all downhill once they leaft the dealerships..........

Edit; Typo

Last edited:
What exact build date is it?
We can`t go by first date of register. Lets compare apples & apples :)
See vehicle details below.

Extra information on the vehicle:

Maker TOYOTA
Name LAND CRUISER 100
Production Date 01.2003
Body color 1B1
Period prod 01.1998 - 07.2003
Options GRADE: VX TYPE (VX);
DRIVER'S POSITION: RIGHT-HAND DRIVE VEHICLES (RHD);
GEAR SHIFT TYPE: ATM, 4-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT (4FC);
ENGINE 1: 4200CC DIESEL TURBO (1HDFTE);
ATM,MTM: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (ATM)
Notes HDJ100,UZJ100
Type HDJ100R-GNPEZW
Period cat 01.1998 - 08.2007
Interior color LE10

& what HEVAC control do You have Werner?
Manual knobs or intigrated in the InfoTainment screen as pictured above?

I have now come across someone who has a Build date 05/03 who has a 5-speed ATM
Interesting as the same parts catalouge state the 5-speed came in 07/03..........
Go Figure....
& I have a buddy who has a 10 or 11/03 with the "electric" HEVAC & Screen based InfoTainment system BUT 4-speed & LHD
Not sure of LHD or RHD matter..........

& what HEVAC control do You have Werner?
Manual knobs or intigrated in the InfoTainment screen as pictured above?

I have now come across someone who has a Build date 05/03 who has a 5-speed ATM
Interesting as the same parts catalouge state the 5-speed came in 07/03..........
Go Figure....
& I have a buddy who has a 10 or 11/03 with the "electric" HEVAC & Screen based InfoTainment system BUT 4-speed & LHD
Not sure of LHD or RHD matter..........
Integrated Peter, touch screen infotainment system, 4 speed Auto.

Just a thought - but I'm assuming that although the infotainment on the pic above looks a little different, the electronics and config at the back are the same as on the 50th??

Is there anyway to hook up a reverse camera and even DVD sys?

Back