Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Arbomast was a complete waste of time for me as well. It went brittle in about 6 months. I like the look of that butyl rubber SC. The trouble with the Polyurethane sealer is that it sticks so well it's impossible to get off. I'm on my 4th front screen so if it starts leaking again I'll take it out and try the butyl sealer with the new rubber I have.

With the butyl screen sealer I keep on about there really is no need to mask. It came off really easily with a plastic spatula and a rag. You can even roll a bit into a ball and pick up any remains with it. Far far easier just to run a bear round the channel in the rubber and put the glass in. Then do theories side. Let it go off a bit and remove excess. If you want to take the glass out again it will come out as it stays supply.

After the leakage from the use of Arbomast by Autoglass, wild horses wouldn't get me anywhere near it. It went hard ish like the sweet cigarettes that used to be around until they realised it probably wasn't a good idea to encourage kids to smoke with them. Fell out all over the place when I took the screen out and that which stayed was easily prised off. It just cracked everywhere.

SC, i cant for the life of me see what is easy about running a bear around the channel.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it CG!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bloody autocorrect!!!!!

Last edited:
:icon-biggrin:
At least you know i read your posts properly..

The problem with the arbomast you used was it was in the hands of a autoglass fitter..

I know there are a lot more advanced sealants nowadays but at the time i just followed the fsm. I bonded my glass in as per the fsm, probable wouldnt do this now as ive learned the screens are bonded in for the sake of the airbags. Bloody good adhesive/sealant though..

Hmmm, true…

I obviously didn't read my own post that time. Think my battery was dying.

Last edited:
Finally got the new LED bulbs and fitted them to the instrument cluster; well as you can see, they are bright!

Thankfully they are dimmable too, so I can turn them down if the glare gets too much..... :icon-cool:

20160107_203917.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking good Chadr! Is that a complete set with warning lights or just the instruments and where did you get them from?

Thanks. I initially ordered these from OZ after seeing them in Chris' 80 build thread (see post #2467 fro full details). However they were the wrong bulb type and I ordered some 501/W5W type LED bulbs off eBay. Talking to the OZ guy, apparently the 90 came with various different instrument illumination bulb configs and there is no simple way to tell (other than remove the instrument cluster and physically look) - another one of Mr Toyota's weird moments.

Hopefully will be simpler (and standardised) on the 80.

I put a PFran LED kit in the interior lights on the 100 today. The puddle lights in the door actually light up the ground now :)

Completed the set of upper lamps on the 95. Had the tails and second reverse lamp from last year. Replaced everything with proper bulb holders, and now have 2 tails, 2 fogs, 2 reverse and 2 indicators up top. It's like a Christmas Tree now....:icon-surprised:

IMAG1631_zpsw2hzscsh.jpg

Changed out the rear gearbox rubber support mount.
Mine literally fell apart in my hands when remove the cross member.

Dead easy job and worth doing if have an 80 with decent miles on it.

Full brake overhaul next. Should be fun.:wtf:

Dave.

Went to visit my local 'Rustmaster' (Waxoyl) Centre this morning, put it on the ramp and priced it up, will most likely have it done before the end of the month...

Put the rear screen back in today. Very easy. Used the old seal and didn't use any gobbo. Just wanted to have a dry run and see where I'd put the mastic. With the crud I fetched out, I'd be keen to see if it's actually sealed now it's back in. It did seem a very good fit

AW were supposed to be coming back today to re-fit the back widow due to it leaking after their first fit but the fitter due to come can't make it for some reason. Got to wait another week now. It was fitted dry (fitter had no sealant) and it leaked. Tried to seal it but to no avail, needs to come out and be sealed properly. Shan't be using these guys again.

And I'm sure that mine will still leak, but you never know. It wasn't a bad leak, but when I took it out, the amount of mud in the lower edge looked very much as though that's where the water was getting in past the glass. When the tailgate is raised it then tracks to the upper corner, dripping in on me. With all of that cleaned the outer seal is sitting more snugly. A new seal btw from Simon is £118

:happy-wavemulticol::happy-wavemulticol::happy-wavemulticol:I have a working gear box.
Had the sump off to make sure clean inside, gone through more atf then I want to admit to my boss lol.
Next step was to pull the box out and strip it if required.

I found where the water got in the gear box and trans box......

Breather pipes were off! That'll be my fault when did the rear main seal, meant to put new hose clips on when got it home but forgot :oops: well these things happen but my box seems happier at least.

Swivel Hubs, diffs all clear now, interior has been valeted and smells nicer too. New non damp air filter fitted, engine oil changed.

Gave it a good run out today and all is good with the old girl. It's nice to have it home again as been at work for the last week while sorted it out.
Owe my boss a big favour now as work has been busy and car park rammed, hasn't complained about the 80 taking up space and being in the workshop a lot, he got the valeters to sort the interior in works time too.

Happy for you Gary. Not nice when the old cruiser is poorly. Breather pipes off. Ahh. That would make sense. Very understanding boss too. I would think that car valet- ers are doing big business just now.

Happy for you Gary. Not nice when the old cruiser is poorly. Breather pipes off. Ahh. That would make sense. Very understanding boss too. I would think that car valet- ers are doing big business just now.

I was rather annoyed with myself, some foul language followed!!
I reckon if I'd have drowned it off road he would've laughed and said shift it!!
He got a bottle of his fave tipple placed on his desk this morning as a thankyou.

Yeah they're busy and so are we, more then 20 flood damaged cars needing either engines or engine repairs, quite a few have been written off too!

Back