Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

It's finally on!
20180422_191947.jpg
Thanks @Rosy for the help

We like a nice roof tent. Hey, is that the standard size or the MINI?

Well it's the standard Mini size (which according to the label inside is a small)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They're a good little roof tent. We've got one propped up on Its side in the valet bay!! I Want it but no one can decide what's happening with it.
I'll wait for it to 'fall over' and get damaged then Do them a favour and dispose of it.

Did a few bits to the 80 today, took the roof rack off, fold down table and mount off, fresh coat of paint as looking tired. Need to so the same with the sliders and winch mount.
Will polish the roof while the rack is off.

Repaired some rodent damage in the engine bay, re fitted the drawers and gave it a wash. Fallen out of love with it recently tbh and it's been neglected. Interior is a state and the paint rough and dull. We're making up though. Lack of free time hasn't helped.

Few other jobs to get sorted for a long weekend in the Dales at the end of May.
It'll be back on top by then.

They're a good little roof tent. We've got one propped up on Its side in the valet bay!! I Want it but no one can decide what's happening with it.
I'll wait for it to 'fall over' and get damaged then Do them a favour and dispose of it.

Did a few bits to the 80 today, took the roof rack off, fold down table and mount off, fresh coat of paint as looking tired. Need to so the same with the sliders and winch mount.
Will polish the roof while the rack is off.

Repaired some rodent damage in the engine bay, re fitted the drawers and gave it a wash. Fallen out of love with it recently tbh and it's been neglected. Interior is a state and the paint rough and dull. We're making up though. Lack of free time hasn't helped.

Few other jobs to get sorted for a long weekend in the Dales at the end of May.
It'll be back on top by then.

Life has it tides and turns Gary, sometimes it’s takes it toll. Putting some love back into the truck will pay dividends. Wishing you happy travels :thumbup:

:doh:Getting the '100' ready for an MOT after putting the front end back together........

Feb 28th, taking wife to the livery yard to feed daughter's horses on snow/ice. narrow road in the Bathgate hills, downhand right-hander and suddenly both ends are sliding. Its an Auto of course.

slide...spin...lampost...clatter..."Bugger".

From this:

DSCN8083.JPG

There was a lot of rust under the front and all the attachment points crumbled. After a new front support beam, front bumper/valance, N/S headlamp, N/S fog lamp and a washer bottle we have this:

DSCN8185.JPG

The impact shook the rust out of the front wings, so I now have a new pair, plastic liners, brackets and plastic clips ready for a paint job before fitting. Temporarily the holes are covered in painted Gaffer Tape.

My Insurance is dealing with the street lamp :doh:.

Thanks to Simon Holton for supplying the parts (and for putting up with the hassle when deliveries go missing!) :thumbup:.

Bob.

I replaced all the wheel studs on the front left wheel. It was more involved than I thought it was going to be and it was my first time going in that deep on the 80 so had a few surprises. Including the 54mm socket which didn't quite fit the nuts, so bit of work with the angle grinder and a hammer (on the socket) to enlarge it a little did the trick. Separating the hub and the rotor was a little bit of fun too. The other side will be a lot easier knowing what to expect now :) It was also the first time setting the bearing pre load so I will be keeping a very close eye on that for the next few weeks.

I replaced all the wheel studs on the front left wheel. It was more involved than I thought it was going to be and it was my first time going in that deep on the 80 so had a few surprises. Including the 54mm socket which didn't quite fit the nuts, so bit of work with the angle grinder and a hammer (on the socket) to enlarge it a little did the trick. Separating the hub and the rotor was a little bit of fun too. The other side will be a lot easier knowing what to expect now :) It was also the first time setting the bearing pre load so I will be keeping a very close eye on that for the next few weeks.

It's always good for anyone to do bits like you have done grant. Better to get an idea as you have rather than in a shxx situation on a track somewhere.

Definitely Karl - I'm putting the other side off until I've bought new CVs. I wasn't expecting to get so close to them with just replacing the studs.

Got everything back together after a b*tch of a clutch change job. Drives Ok, bite point right at the bottom as to be expected and sounded OK for the first few miles but now sounds awful. A really bad rattle at idle with the clutch out. Press the clutch and no noise. Sounds too heavy to be the release bearing, more like gearbox than clutch to be honest. I’m wondering if we’ve knackered something in the box, input shaft bearing maybe? Going to try adjusting the pedal as per the fsm but I honestly can’t see that making any difference. Very disappointing to say the least. If I can get it diagnosed for definite then I may have it fixed but I can see that V8 100 getting nearer!

Last edited:
Life has it tides and turns Gary, sometimes it’s takes it toll. Putting some love back into the truck will pay dividends. Wishing you happy travels :thumbup:

It nearly got sold tbh!! The wife gave me a telling off for leaving it unlocked with the keys in too!!
Out in the Dales if it behaves will be a good way of being friends again lol.

TP I had the same thing. Now I can't say it's the same noise, but what I found was with all the changes, the clutch for was rattling. Essentially it didn't have any pressure on it at all. When I touched the pedal, it tightened everything up just a hint and stopped it. I actually replaced the slave cylinder in the end as there seemed to be wear at that meeting point, but I think that as a temp repair, I blobbed a bit of weld on the end of the rod and it cured it. There's no way that this is enough to be riding the mechanism; it's a case of just taking up the slack.

I actually pulled the box (I still have nightmares) and changed the brand new release bearing for another OEM one. And thirty seconds later - the noise was back. I'm betting it's nothing more than insufficient pressure on the fork.

Got everything back together after a b*tch of a clutch change job. Drives Ok, bite point right at the bottom as to be expected and sounded OK for the first few miles but now sounds awful. A really bad rattle at idle with the clutch out. Press the clutch and no noise. Sounds too heavy to be the release bearing, more like gearbox than clutch to be honest. I’m wondering if we’ve knackered something in the box, input shaft bearing maybe? Going to try adjusting the pedal as per the fsm but I honestly can’t see that making any difference. Very disappointing to say the least. If I can get it diagnosed for definite then I may have it fixed but I can see that V8 100 getting nearer!

I just looked back through the thread to see your experience TP... I had exactly the same issue with a 1kzt conversion project the brown/beige. The known transmission was a good one with no input rattle and I really struggled to fit it on my own, then it had the dreaded rattle. I felt exactly the same! When I started to drive it a few months later the rattle disappeared after a weeks use to my relief. Did you check the input shaft for looseness when the box was off? When I took the box off my 24v the input shaft was wagging as much as a spaniels tail! But not as quickly! I think that the components will settle back into place and return to good. :pray::thumbup:

TP I had the same thing. Now I can't say it's the same noise, but what I found was with all the changes, the clutch for was rattling. Essentially it didn't have any pressure on it at all. When I touched the pedal, it tightened everything up just a hint and stopped it. I actually replaced the slave cylinder in the end as there seemed to be wear at that meeting point, but I think that as a temp repair, I blobbed a bit of weld on the end of the rod and it cured it. There's no way that this is enough to be riding the mechanism; it's a case of just taking up the slack.

I actually pulled the box (I still have nightmares) and changed the brand new release bearing for another OEM one. And thirty seconds later - the noise was back. I'm betting it's nothing more than insufficient pressure on the fork.

I hope it’s something as simple Chris but I fear not. When refitting the slave cylinder the piston had to be pushed quite a way back in to get it to fit behind the clutch arm so there is definitely no gap there. I’m going to post up a video of the noise in a separate thread to get opinions/ideas.

There was no discernible play in the input shaft Iwan although I didn’t actually measure it. Box was fine prior to new clutch, the only problem being clutch slip. The noise didn’t start right away, drove off from the garage as normal and the noise has developed in the last 10-15 miles so I can’t see it settling down but that would be nice!

It would be interesting to hear the sound of the noise Towpack! I'm of course not an expert but have some previous experience!

Back