Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

TP I had the same thing. Now I can't say it's the same noise, but what I found was with all the changes, the clutch for was rattling. Essentially it didn't have any pressure on it at all. When I touched the pedal, it tightened everything up just a hint and stopped it. I actually replaced the slave cylinder in the end as there seemed to be wear at that meeting point, but I think that as a temp repair, I blobbed a bit of weld on the end of the rod and it cured it. There's no way that this is enough to be riding the mechanism; it's a case of just taking up the slack.

I actually pulled the box (I still have nightmares) and changed the brand new release bearing for another OEM one. And thirty seconds later - the noise was back. I'm betting it's nothing more than insufficient pressure on the fork.

Did this make a squeaking noise? I replaced the clutch and release bearing on mine when I first got it. It wouldn't drive in 3rd when I got it and I can't remember if it squeaked before. As you say the noise goes away with a slight press of the clutch?

Went out to tension my winch rope today and she didnt turn. Worked out it was the motor and when I stripped it down there was a lot of rusty sludge in there. Anyone have an ideas on the best way to rectify this mess? Worst part is I have yet to use it in anger!

Depends how bad the corrosion is and what parts have actually corroded. I rescued a starter motor many years ago from similar circumstances using some alloy wheel cleaner which is very mildly acidic and did a pretty good job of removing the sludge and rust staining. When it’s cleaned out and completely dry I would check the electrical integrity of the windings as well as making sure the whole thing is structurally sound with no bearing damage etc.

Snorkel and headlight cowls. Snorkel was a right PITA to fit.
32464395_10156575735347625_1607208763964522496_n.jpg

Re painted the roof rack, wheels and sliders on the 80, had a little shuffle around in the boot.

Spent a couple of hours this morning giving the Beemer a wash and polish. Nice bit of stress relief.

Liking the fallout remover I've started to use, called aliens blood. Sprays on bright green and turns purple as it dissolves the brake dust etc, ph neutral so doesn't strip wax etc
20180513_102948.jpg

Not looking too shabby
20180513_121455.jpg

Not bad reflections
20180513_121501.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I always put a large cloth on the windshield when the bare wiper arms are tensioned like that.

I've never broken a windshield but I'm sort of paranoid :doh:.

Bob.

I am prepping floor and tray for bully liner be a few days yet before I can spray but it's getting close hope it's worth all this sanding anyone used this stuff before ?

I always put a large cloth on the windshield when the bare wiper arms are tensioned like that.

I've never broken a windshield but I'm sort of paranoid :doh:.

Bob.
That's could be a good excuse to replace it :icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Mah... honestly I never had problem with that...:dance:

Re-installed the winch , works mint! Thanks for the tips. Put her in today for Transmission service, I haven't driven it myself . The wife hasn't noticed any difference.

Fitted the voltage boosting diode (a nice 14.2v now), cleaned the EGR (bugger of a job on the Euro 4 1KD-FTV - you have to be a contortionist to remove and refit it), fitted main fire extinguisher, finished off snorkel install, and fitted main starting/cranking battery (Varta G7).

A5AB3FC9-EBB8-4FC7-8967-2978C7041C70.jpeg
Prepped the spare wheel support brace ready for the new crank mech to go on.
A filthy job but it will be great to finally get the spare wheel out of the boot after 2 years.
Its going in to have a new clutch release bearing (to stop the chirping bird noise) and handbrake cable this week.

cleaned the EGR (bugger of a job on the Euro 4 1KD-FTV - you have to be a contortionist to remove and refit it).

Hi Animal, did you fit the EGR blanking plate with 7mm hole while you did the EGR clean ? aves having to clean it again

Hi Animal, did you fit the EGR blanking plate with 7mm hole while you did the EGR clean ? aves having to clean it again

I didn't mate. I thought this engine didn't like to be blanked. Would you recommend it?

Anyway, as mine is a Euro 4 it's an easy job to add the blanking plate as it's not at teh EGR end, it's in another place that I'd need to put it, so I can sort at a later date.

EGR-blanking-plate-30L-1KD-FTV-Hilux-Land-Cruiser-_1.jpg

Same as the Aussie version (EURO 4). If you install the blanking plate with 7mm hole it lets through just enough gases to keep the Sensors happy. Also a Catch can will go a long way to keeping it clean, best of both worlds. I have done neither yet but when I do the clean I will throw the plate in.

Had a squealing and ticking noise come from the front of the engine. Narrowed it down to the Alternator. It was only replaced 18 months ago. Apparently because its fitted in a 4x4 it has only a 1yr warranty. I thought I would try replacing the over run pulley first as they are known to have issues. Luckily I kept my previous alternator which had the original pulley still attached. After spending $130 on the removal tool kit and borrowing a rattle gun from a neighbour (6 pack of rum) the repair was successful.

Back