Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

not the best of days.
getting an engine ready for sebding out tomoz. gave it a quick once over only to find it locking up when i turned the crank..very strange one as it was a good lump.
its now sat with the head off it fuel pump turbo etc off. im trying to find the issue.

Regarding the CB antenna, without going into the importance and effects of ground planes etc, try and mount the antenna with the loading coil above the roof line, obviously much easier with a top or centre loaded antenna. Below will have a big effect on performance. Also get a good ground at the fixing point and don’t rely on an earth wire routed to another point on the body/chassis.

have you had the chasie checked properly chas around the steering box?
I had the Cruiser at Julian's on Thursday to have a thorough check over before Romania and it got the all clear underneath, I'll get him to check the chassis next time I go there.

not the best of days.
getting an engine ready for sebding out tomoz. gave it a quick once over only to find it locking up when i turned the crank..very strange one as it was a good lump.
its now sat with the head off it fuel pump turbo etc off. im trying to find the issue.

Unlucky man, did you take the rocker cover and timing belt cover off before you stripped the head off?
Cause if you had a stuck valve then you would see the tension on the timing belt?

I'm guessing that the bores are all good and not rusty?

Unlucky man, did you take the rocker cover and timing belt cover off before you stripped the head off?
Cause if you had a stuck valve then you would see the tension on the timing belt?

I'm guessing that the bores are all good and not rusty?[/QUOTE

yes mate. took the cover off and cam belt cover. took injectors out. found nothing.

all the bores are good. engine all looks good. got to get the bottom pully off next and check the timing gears and then the pistons/bittom end. i just dont understand whats going on unless the engine was switched with a fxxed one before it came back to me from a certain person up north.
ill report back once i have foubd something

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh dear Karl.

yep thats what i though andy.
thing is it hasnt been run since it was taken out the good running truck. it came back to me and its now locking up.it either fuxxed up when he was driving it around or hes swapped them.
or i end up finding an issue somewhere. we shall see.

After 2 years of failing to get a satisfactory radio program on the dab double din unit, today i fitted a new aerial and hey presto!
Not just a digital aerial though. Its an old style stainless telescopic jobby but with two plugs and a small amplifyer box in between.
While prodding about i noticed the old style aerial socket wire was broken flush with the unit. So i had to dismantle it and solder the wires back together and reassemble it all. This must have happened during repeated in out in out messing with different crap digital aerials that stick to the screen.
Anyway, very pleased now. I can get test match special, 5 live and loads of other stuff.
What a saga

No real reason why the OEM telescopic Toyota wing mounted aerial shouldn’t work with DAB radio. Changing the connector on the end of the coax to suit is much easier than changing the whole thing. Never been a fan of the stick on screen aerials. A friend of mine offered me a DAB radio at the right price which worked perfect when connected temporarily to the OEM aerial but I decided I was more than happy with the Sony analogue/CD/mp3 I had at the time and couldn’t be bothered to change out the whole unit again, plus the DAB coveredge in Scotland was very poor at the time.

Dab coverage in devon is poor too TP, but at least i can get the essentials now.
Didnt try just a normal aerial but worth a go if upgrading before looking at different aerials. I tried 4 stick on types and they were all poor.

Very Nice, I am looking at a similar position on my LC5 , using a home made Door Jamb bracket to mount the antenna just above the tail-lights . My question to you doesn't your loading coil touch the body work and what is your VSWR like.

Hello MD.
No the coil doesn't move as it's mounted on a solid post below the coil. It's only the antenna that has flexibility, and as far as I know (bearing in mind that most of the time I'm looking forward), the antenna has never hit the body work either. Last time I checked, the SWR reading wasn't too bad and I seem to have good range on the CB considering. However, at present, it's powered through the cigarette charger and ideally I'd prefer to connect straight to the battery to reduce any other interference that may be coming through the unit.
I hope this is useful info to you, I'm not an expert on CB's.

yep thats what i though andy.
thing is it hasnt been run since it was taken out the good running truck. it came back to me and its now locking up.it either fuxxed up when he was driving it around or hes swapped them.
or i end up finding an issue somewhere. we shall see.

Did you get to the bottom of it yet Karl?

Did you get to the bottom of it yet Karl?

trying again tomorrow clive. just got to take the timing casing apart to have a look at the gears. If i find something in there all good. if not sump off and take the pisons out. ill be putting acl big ends in whilst im doing the job anyway.

nothing in the timing gears. sump off tomorrow.
Also checked the fuel pump. seems to turn nicely so dont think it was that.

Last edited:
trying again tomorrow clive. just got to take the timing casing apart to have a look at the gears. If i find something in there all good. if not sump off and take the pisons out. ill be putting acl big ends in whilst im doing the job anyway.

nothing in the timing gears. sump off tomorrow.
Also checked the fuel pump. seems to turn nicely so dont think it was that.

It was @grantw posting Karl, but mentally I was asking the same thing, must be some telepathy goin’ on :lol:

So, studs replaced in rear hubs for the side shafts, rear axle and hub seals replaced, hand brake shoes replaced.
Also repacked the bearings with fresh grease after cleaning them, they had no grease in them just EP90 oil from the diff which had washed the grease out, gives an idea how tough these trucks are that the bearings had not suffered.

Rear control arm bushes replaced. What I thought would be the difficult bit, bolt removal, was a breeze. Just a bit of surface rust on the heads and the bolts tapped out easily. The insides of the mounts on the chassis and axle were also virtually rust free, due I think to the oil Ive been squirting in there periodically.
The rear passenger side bush was shot, the rubber had come unbonded from the steel sleeve and pushed out quite easily. Cut the rest out with a hole saw. Cleaned up the arm ends and a coat of AC90 zinc paint and black stone chip finished the job. Going on the state they were in I think I'll work my way round the whole truck and change the lot. Rear upper arms next. Apologies for the blurred phone pics. Heat haze I think!

Bush1.jpg Bush2.jpg Bush3.jpg

Last edited:
Good job Phil.. one of the next jobs on the cards for mine! May fit the spare arms from the 24v as they seem good..
Like your method of pulling the new bushes in!

Will be off to the post office tomorrow when the paints dry!:thumbup:

The job went easier than I expected Iwan. The recommendation seems to be to use a hydraulic press which would probably be a whole lot quicker/easier but I don’t have one so had to make do. The tricky bit is getting the new bush started while keeping it square.
The clutch disc is packed and ready for collection today by Hermes but it hasn’t been as yet but I know they work quite late. If it’s not collected I’ll chase it up tomorrow. :thumbup:

Back