Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Got the clips out, smacked with hammer, how do you get the caps off?
20210827_153034.jpg

Ive got that one off now, much smacking with a chisel, only 3 more to go...

At least we cant blame your Handy work for the Vibration Nick.... I had every Faith... Crack on! :thumbup:

They can be pushed out with a big vice and some sockets or pieces of appropriately sized steel tube.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes..... The theory is there, just not all the bits. Thankfully @Rosy came along and rescued me with an angle grinder and some maltesers! Just gotta out it back on the truck but that is a job for tomorrow

Had an annoying problem where operating the indicators caused the front foglamps to flicker. Turned out to be the headlamp/indicator stalk. Changed out for a genuine Toyota part sourced in UAE. Changed a couple of blown bulbs in the instrument cluster while I was at it.

Reupholstered drivers seat , managed to get a mint passenger seat as the drivers side was shot swapped over the foam and the fabric and fells quiet different lol

Attachments

• 39070C90-78B9-4B80-8ECC-3CC2D5CC2633.jpeg
    39070C90-78B9-4B80-8ECC-3CC2D5CC2633.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DF055D88-E13D-49BD-8C66-FE5FE6BCD8ED.jpeg
    DF055D88-E13D-49BD-8C66-FE5FE6BCD8ED.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 38
IMG_2489.JPG

Maintenance time on the latest acquisition at Lomas Towers.
IMG_2486.JPG

I bought it with an intermittent starting problem, it took several ( sometimes lots) of key turns to get the starter to engage. Cured by taking the main starter lead off and cleaning the ring, hey presto starts every attempt.

First thing with a new truck, oil and filter change.

IMG_2476.JPG

All brakes seem good and a grease of the props and we're good to go.
IMG_2477.JPG

Next job is to sort some wheels out, I'm not a fan of the 3 spokers , 80 wheels are an option or some Weller 8 spokes blasted and powder coated black.

Ah! Thats why you were up at the crack of Dawn...... Tidy looking Truck that is Andy...... Crack On :thumbup:

Totally solid matey and that V6 is very underrated. I've owned it before, a while ago.

Is that the one you sold to a neighbour a few years back or last year was it.... And Yes Cracking Engine that v6

If you have a 90 and haven't had trouble with your rear bumper lights, then what sorcery have you employed to keep them from rusting?? But also, watch out for shorts that can arise from corrosion and try to burn the entire truck to the ground...

This was in behind the upper light cluster where the short cause wires to burn back up into the truck... (yes I had bypassed and rewired, but has been fine for 5 years like that). Luckily I smelled the problem very quick and disconnected the battery before any real harm was done. The block connector had to go...
20210903_202444.jpg

Now it has new bulb holders in the bumper light clusters too that should last a while..

20210906_203917.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet and attempt to remove the rear bumper from the '100'. I'm still doing body repairs (badly) and now have rear wheel arch repair panels so need to double-check that they are right.

The back-end is very rusty and I have a mind to remove the towbar in order to check for rot in the chassis rails (don't want 3.5 ton trailers coming loose :doh:).

I was expecting trouble as I stood on the bumper a couple of months ago and was rewarded with a pile of bits on the floor!

I started by removing the tow hitch and spare wheel and chiselling away at the thick rust scale and loose remnants of panels underneath:

DSCN0166.JPG

None of the nuts/bolts are going to come free without a fight and as I couldn't heat the bumper mounting bolts ('cos its plastic) I cut them off with a Sabre Saw.

The bumper then came off to reveal some horrors below:

DSCN0173.JPG

The thin tin bumper support panel and a couple of filler panels have rotted away.

No probs - that should clean-up :lol: :

DSCN0176.JPG

The main structure - chassis rails and cross-member - have lost some thickness but are still OK to use (i.e. hit them with a hammer and they go 'CLANG' :thumbup:) .

The towbar bolts are good and seized, but now I can see the captive nuts and can get some heat to them.

They'll be a lot of grinding-back to bare metal and metal prep to be done before this goes back together. This is now a long-term restoration project.

DSCN0179.JPG

I'll be sending another parts order to Simon Holton soon :icon-exclaim:.

Hey - Stuzbot - if you're reading this . . . Get that '90' chassis repaired, you have it easy :lol:.

Tomorrow I'll see how the repair panels fit :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Don't know if it counts as maintenance but came home, dropped the wife and kid off then went to park. Noticed the D light on the dash (auto) didn't come on.

Had forward drive but then when I got in the house I thought what if the range switch is busted and it is stuck in low gear.

Went back to it and ran round the block, no D light but it shifted from low to 2nd and back as I drove. Thought the fault must be in the display side of the system.

Light smack on the dash and my D light is restored. So I'm calling it fixed. No tools no parts didn't even need to turn off the engine or even stop!!!!

Back