Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

A job I’ve been meaning to do for a while!
fortunately just surface rust so took the worst of it off with a grinder and wire wheel, painted with Eastwood rust encapsulator platinum then top coated with 2k Eastwood chassis black. First time using Eastwood products, the encapsulator went on very well the 2k chassis black finished nicely. Time will tell how it holds up!
51AA6E42-C71A-4E28-9C9E-5444E4F965B4.jpeg
0221FE68-5026-4547-B53D-11DCECEFE56F.jpeg

Nice! That’s my plan, thought I’d give the Eastwood stuff a try first and I think I’ll stick with it for the rest. I’ve done underneath the spare wheel carrier and up to the rear axle too, time consuming process but the rear quarter is the worst of it I think
3C739748-D388-461E-9A44-24400B5082F3.jpeg

Discovered and tackled some rust at the front OS front wheel arch/wheel tub seam, not actually perforated yet but quite flakey and removal of the plastic arch flares will almost certainly reveal more. Treated it with some Aquasteel then some Hycote stonechip but will probably require arch flare removal and maybe some welding at some point but not a job for mid Winter on the drive! No sign of any on the passenger side strangely enough.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Getting ready for winter ( if we have one). I finally picked up some 17" wheels which I'd been after for some time, they were a bit scabby so I had them blasted and powder coated and fitted the Conti snow tyres I'd had for a few months. They should do for Maria to go to work if the weather gets bad and it'll save a few months wear on the others.
IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

They are 265/65/17's. They do seem a good bit smaller than the 265/70's that came off.

Not really maintenance, as such, more repairing my own f**k up. :angry-screaming:I seem to be going trough a phase of doing one job and making another just lately. While working on the RH front wheel arch I managed to put a nice deep scratch on the arch flare right down to the plastic, don't ask. I was going just touch it up and leave it for a while but I was that pissed off with myself I decided to attack it today with rattle cans and it's come out great. There's a place in Bolsover that mixes paint to code which is bang on for mine and they can even scan and colour match If required.:thumbup:

Attachments

• 3114DF9E-E585-4312-8328-D6E0B8B06BF2.jpeg
    3114DF9E-E585-4312-8328-D6E0B8B06BF2.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 52
Oil and fuel filters changed on the 70, greased props had a check round all ok. Keeping the 2000 mile oil change intervals like it's had for the past however many years, running like a Swiss watch

Finally got around to cleaning the sill vents in the 80 series - about a pint of black water came out of the passenger side - guess that would explain the slopping noise and the camp carpet in the passenger footwell... :whistle:

Been there and done that a few times. It amazes me that 80 sills don"t rot out more than they appear to do. Sunroof drains to inside the sills, what a daft idea IMO.

Replaced a LED bulb in the heater control panel. Also found out why the radio reception is so poor, there's no continuity from the antenna plug to the mast or to ground! It raises and lowers fine but it'll obviously have to come out to remedy. Looks a bit of a b*****d to get to!

Reactions: Raj
Treated the 120 to some fresh oil and a gen. filter today after a 200 mile drive back from Bristol Airport. Greased the prop while it was in the air.
IMG_2676.JPG

Gone a couple of thou over the 5K I usually change it at but I guess it won't have hurt it.

God bless you with 5k mile oil changes.. I've done mine at 10k on the button, and it has not done it any harm at all.. but if I was to change at 5k, it would have meant a change every 6 weeks at the height of my mile munching a few years back.

Yep Bob, 5K on everything. The 120 has done a regular 5K a year until this year when Maria has commandeered it to commute with. You're right though, 10K is sufficient, thats what mine had had till I got it.
I guess I'm stuck in the 80 series 4500 mile per oil change philosophy.

I change oil annually in the 80 and the beemer. 80 does 3 to 4k a year
Beemer does 8k a year but has an 18k or 2 year interval. Does a lot of short journeys too.

Hah! Aerial fault sorted! I thought the aerial would have to come out but the bad/non existent coax connection turned out to be the plug at the radio end :icon-biggrin:, I'll take fixes like that all day please:thumbup:. The plug is crimped on and looked perfect so I'll just solder on a new one. As I've discovered and many 80 owners may already know, access to the OEM electric aerial is not a 5 minute job. Think I got out of jail free there!:thumbup::thumbup:

Back