Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Smart set of wheels there Pete. What make are they? I'm considering a set of something suitable for the 80...:think:

hi buddy ,they are dick cepek torque 20x9 ,when i got them they were black with a machined rim that was silver and coated with lacquer ,the rim got a wee bit crusty with the rain etc so i had them coated -i got them from Silverline with the tyres -mickey thompson atz p3 35/12.50/20 and am very happy with them

Hi, got my arb roof rack back from the powder coating and fitted my new Lazer led lights ,cant wait till its all back together and gets dark so i can test them out:icon-cool:

IMG_0654_zpsdaba756e.jpg

very nice pete! :thumbup:

I just carried out an Engine oil and filter change, greased everything and then had a beer or two in the nice weather, so I will need to finish of the front, rear diffs and transfer box oils tomorrow :D

Which is quite handy as I need to find a new oil syringe or little mechanical pump to fill them back up! anyone know where I can get one? without ordering online.

You could Get a sprayer from b & Q. Oil in. Take spray nozzle off. Pump it up and you'll fill your diff quickly and with minimal mess.

Hi, got my arb roof rack back from the powder coating and fitted my new Lazer led lights ,cant wait till its all back together and gets dark so i can test them out:icon-cool:

IMG_0654_zpsdaba756e.jpg

That's a nice looking roof rack Pete. Have you had it powder coated black or is it an anthracite? Where did you get it done? I'm thinking of using a chap I know to get the work done (the-Polisher.com) but wanted other recommendations in the area.

You could Get a sprayer from b & Q. Oil in. Take spray nozzle off. Pump it up and you'll fill your diff quickly and with minimal mess.

Is the oil not to thick for these? I take it you mean the sprayers for weeds?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry for that guys, I said my remark in innocence!

I've managed to destroy 3 GG AT2s by sidewall damage, very annoying when there's loads of meat still on them. :icon-rolleyes:

PS Blimey, there was a rush of posts, I was responding to Chris & Gary's exchanges... :icon-surprised:

Last edited:
hi buddy ,they are dick cepek torque 20x9 ,when i got them they were black with a machined rim that was silver and coated with lacquer ,the rim got a wee bit crusty with the rain etc so i had them coated -i got them from Silverline with the tyres -mickey thompson atz p3 35/12.50/20 and am very happy with them

V nice Pete, I think I looked at those DC rims some time ago and they weren't available in 16s. I can't imagine going for a bigger rim on the 80, I even tried 15s but I didn't think only 1mm clearance to the caliper was a wise move.

Maybe I'll have another look at DCs Thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

PS I've just looked them up again and realized my problem wasn't getting 16s, it was getting them in 10". They are 16x8 when I'm after 16x10s. :icon-cry:

Last edited:
V nice Pete, I think I looked at those DC rims some time ago and they weren't available in 16s. I can't imagine going for a bigger rim on the 80, I even tried 15s but I didn't think only 1mm clearance to the caliper was a wise move.

Maybe I'll have another look at DCs Thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

PS I've just looked them up again and realized my problem wasn't getting 16s, it was getting them in 10". They are 16x8 when I'm after 16x10s. :icon-cry:

hi Clive ,you can get micky thompson classic alloy wheels in 16x10 -thats what i had on my silver 90 :icon-biggrin:

That's a nice looking roof rack Pete. Have you had it powder coated black or is it an anthracite? Where did you get it done? I'm thinking of using a chap I know to get the work done (the-Polisher.com) but wanted other recommendations in the area.

hi -its powder coated in gun metal grey by kilmarnock powder coating ,the wheels came out spot on but the rack is defo a 8/10 but was not to expensive because the guy did it last year and got the colour wrong ,all in all im happy with it :icon-biggrin:

So 10 days home leave last week and time to have a go at my 100 series VX which I bought 18 months ago and just drove. Before I start touring I wanted to baseline all the fluids and basic servicing plus overhaul the suspension. In addition the MOT failed on rear brake pads and cautionary on front pads so the jobs started:
In order to renew road licence MOT first.
Simple, new rear pads fitted, about 2 hours work taking it easy.
Then front pads, what a nightmare. 4 hours later and have so damaged the bottom pad locating pin on the first hub it has to be cut and drilled out. That mother wouldn't move. So refitted new pads with only single retaining pin and some bolts temporarily as it was Saturday late afternoon by the time I finished.
Sunday try the other side must be easier, No way cannot tap(drive) the bottom pin out with any amount of force. The end belled over first. So again off with the caliper and into the vice, cut flush and drill the locating pin out. Put all back together with temporary bolts in place. Monday order new retaining pins which arrive Tuesday and fitted in swift order.
Next task change all oils. Engine, front diff, transfer box and auto box all changed smoothly. Rear diff, no way can loosen the filler plug. Tried blow torching, hammering and driving it with punch, no movement.
So based on that failed effort and a review of the requirements to change the rear springs I decided the local garage's assistance was required so booked it in. In the meanwhile the spark plugs arrived and time to change them. Again problems the LPG conversion stopped me getting the plug spanner in, so strip out LPG bits on the RH bank. Eventually new plugs in place and dropped the truck off to the local garage to please fit the new rear springs and loosen the rear axle filler plug.
They succeeded and I completed the rear diff oil change but at the cost of £35 to loosen the bloody filler plug. Charges to fit the new springs were more reasonable. Anyway all finished with 3 hours to go before departing to Gatwick and returning to Jakarta.
Life wasn't this tough servicing my older 80 in SA :)

Got round to changing my fuel filter today, must remember to do a bit more often.

IMG_20140519_145952.jpg

IMG_20140519_145935.jpg

Sorry for that guys, I said my remark in innocence!

I've managed to destroy 3 GG AT2s by sidewall damage, very annoying when there's loads of meat still on them. :icon-rolleyes:

PS Blimey, there was a rush of posts, I was responding to Chris & Gary's exchanges... :icon-surprised:

don't worry Clive a tyre failure is one of those things and always a risk when don't stick to tarmac lol. I'm quite sure Chris knows there's no blame

After getting halfway through a service yesterday before drinking some beer, I finished off the front and rear diffs and replaced the transfer box oil whilst also replacing the fuel injectors on my brothers xtype. :D the oil still looked quite clean in all the diffs and transfer box and no lumps of metal so still good :D I was quite surprised with the quality of the diff oil considering the car spent quite some time wading through water in the floods, I never thought it would be a problem from similar experience in the army in defenders with wading and they had stock breathers too.

I did raise the front diff breather and got halfway through the rear diff breather but it came to a grinding halt when I did not have a union that would fit the thread! doh! so that will continue tomorrow along with the transfer box breather :D

Whats anyones experience with the sealing capability of the stock airfilter box with the three metal clips? it does not seem that water tight? I never plan going that deep but its something I had a quick look at. I may make a simple clamp bracket that will squeeze it a little bit tighter for when I may go wading etc.

Last edited:

IMG_0654_zpsdaba756e.jpg

Very smart Pete!

May I ask how you intend to power them up, meaning where will the cable enter the truck? I've re sprayed my 80 and I'm reluctant to drill having spent a fortune closing up the six holes (and fixing the dents) from the crappy OEM 80 chrome rack-waste-of-space thingy that was on the truck before the ARB went on :lol:

Changed the rear pads and hand brake shoes today, only to find the discs need changing. Did find what the rattle was on the near side, previous owner has had pads changed and never had the rubber boots changed so the slider pins are rattling about.
Used lbr hand brake shoes good quality just needed a lot of work to make the discs fit back on and Milner pads so see how they go.

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
New water pump fitted today as well as a pair of track rod ends and inner tie rods.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Gave the truck an "inspection" today and found out that I have a (engine) oil leak - seems like the rocker cover gaskets have gone and the rear of the engine and lower parts/steering rack etc. are all covered in a thin coat of oil. :-(

Also looks like the front ARB bushes are totally shot, so will replace them with the Superpro poly bushes I bought some time back.......

Really need to get the underbody/chassis rust protection sorted out soon too before it becomes an major issue.

Front brake pads needs changing and ideally the LSBV needs to be sorted out properly for the brakes to be 100% (IMHO) following my SL.

Oh well, will keep the weekends busy and the wallet empty!

Very smart Pete!

May I ask how you intend to power them up, meaning where will the cable enter the truck? I've re sprayed my 80 and I'm reluctant to drill having spent a fortune closing up the six holes (and fixing the dents) from the crappy OEM 80 chrome rack-waste-of-space thingy that was on the truck before the ARB went on :lol:

hi Clive the way i did it was to run the cable along the rack from the rear coming out thru the rubber gaiter next to the rear door hinges -along inside the head lining and down the rear corner post and inside the panels and so on:thumbup:

Back