Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Doing a few bits on the Gs I've got.

Just collect a 12v manual. Got a buyer for it but got to do a few bits.

New alternator
Fault with ignition due to the last mechanic joining wires wrong.
Windows not working.
interior swap.
Days going well so far.

After phase 2, phase 1 was like a Mclaren pit stop. Apart from the trailing arm bolts which all came undone not too bad every other bolt fought me off all the way. In the end I changed the rear springs, the dampers and top plates, replaced both rear bump stops and all 4 trailing arms. I think this is the 1st time as lot of these bolts had ever been undone, the amount of heat required and ingenuity not to round rusty bolt heads off or sheer them off was as much as I have had to use on an 80. All the bolts I undid I replaced with cap bolts so I shouldn't have this fight again with this one.
This is what I have replaced today.
IMG_0753_zps629b5d5e.jpg

The fight goes on, brakes next.

Andy

I had the same problem replacing just the shocks recently. All the top plate bolts on the rear shocks needed heat to get them out. At least you have the luxury of a lift which makes it a lot easier. Try it with the car up on stands, lying on your back in the rain. Not fun.

With only one functioning electric window on the 80 (drivers), it was time for some attention! The drivers window failed in the down position when we were in Morocco, I had to swap four wires around on the drivers door window control panel multi plug to get the drivers window working on the drivers rear window circuit, this temporary arrangement rendered the rears out of action as a result. Then after its recent 4.5 months of inactivity standing in the workshop, the passenger window now had stopped too!

First job was to swap the multi plug wires back to their correct positions, now with the original fault back I swapped the drivers door switch panel for a known good one (from Karl), result! The drivers window now worked :dance: as did the drivers rear window as well, but the nearside windows were having none of it. As it turned out, both of the nearside windows were stuck in position, due to lack of use :icon-rolleyes:. So off with both door panels unbolted the regulators and with the windows freed off, they both now worked well. Happy days :dance::dance:

Now on a roll, I decided to have a look at why the nearside speakers weren't working, this turned out to be a faulty sound effect setting on the ageing head unit, selecting a different setting restored sound to all speakers. Now we get to enjoy the 'hall' sound effect as we cruise along!

A couple of niggling faults ticked off the 'to do' list. Steph's happy that her window works and that she can hear the stereo, as Tony says "happy wife, happy life" :thumbup:

Checked diff oils, transmission oils and the wheel bearings for any water ingress after a lot of ford crossings last week, all spot on which is good. Re greased the props and adjusted the handbrake. Just need some brake pads now.

I need to mot it in the next week or two. Going to throw the keys to the valeters and get it machine polished while it's at work :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After going out the first time and going for a play, i did this...
photo 2.JPGbig oops!
But after a mornings help from a friend, it now looks like this!
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
very happy with the results :icon-biggrin:

like that, Thats the sort of thing I want for our 95, but without the bull bar bit....

@fbnss - any hope of some close up photos of your sliders (including mounting) please?

and underneath
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
i'm afraid i don't know anything about them, they were already on it.

They look strangely familiar to me.... :eusa-whistle:

very nice looking truck and great repair. Can you send you mate round to mine when he's done please. I could use a friend like that!

he's the fitter at work, i got a tail gate and wheel arch off of ebay, the right colour but the wheel arch had a chunk about the size of a 50p out of it so i gave it to the bloke who's been servicing my car for years, im well impressed with the results ( my first bit of bodywork Ive had done). We undid just about everything there was to undo to get the old one off and then we realized if you took the side light out you can just stick your arm up and reach the bolts.Although the bumper is attached at the moment its not properly on yet. it slips round the chassis rails and the bolt holes are out a nats c**k. So he's gonna have a think about it.
Chris, go on...

Today (and yesterday, and the day before), I've singlehandedly managed to destroy or snap off nearly every bolt I've touched on my front axle service, so it's back on the buses for the next week or so whilst I try to accumulate parts and paint :doh:

I think AndycruiserguyLomas needs to show me how it's done.

On the plus side the fuel savings might pay for the road tax later this month.

Not quite maintenance but rather a trip to Greenwich to collect my new to me Hanibal RR.

As last minute communication with GrantW failed as it was very last minute and my own fault I was left with make a plan or detour past Crispin which was a little out the way but thanks for the offer.

So make a plan it was.

amajugu8.jpg

As the rack was designed for a 110 Landy and then modified to fit a disco2 I had no hope it was going to fit the cruiser so off we went in the tab with roof rails a blanket and some rope.

We made a day of it in Greenwich with the bikes and a picnic and the rack fitted snug on the roof with no problems.

It's slightly older in style as it has the straight rear end rather than the rounded corners.

a7ase8uj.jpg

If you look on eBay they can be had for about £300 if you lucky or £400 if not. It's not a bad price given new they are £1200+ depending on model.

vyquzy8e.jpg

u8any3ym.jpg

yjypu9yb.jpg

unepunen.jpg

It's 200 long and 148 wide

ve4y8y8a.jpg

vytanebu.jpg

6 rusty bolt and a rubber mallet later it's broken down and makes for a great base to start with.

y9ujuvu2.jpg

bu7ejude.jpg

ypu7arev.jpg

7e4ejede.jpg

pahyzaqa.jpg

yny7a9a4.jpg

subejene.jpg

3ury5ydy.jpg

aruvuqu6.jpg

ajerenyp.jpg

qa9yqyzy.jpg

I don't think it will take too much work to get it all to fit. Next it was up onto the cruiser to see what it looks like.

ba4yqaqa.jpg

teba3aqa.jpg

utuzydam.jpg

ena3unah.jpg

I think the top rail will go as I won't be able to mount a roof top tent and open it. Next I need to consider height as when I mount the foxwing it needs to clear the rear tailgate when open. I will also look at storing a few item sender the rack.

I am very pleased and now to stage two of modification.

Attachments

• amajugu8.jpg
    amajugu8.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 51
  • a7ase8uj.jpg
    a7ase8uj.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 57
  • vyquzy8e.jpg
    vyquzy8e.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 57
  • u8any3ym.jpg
    u8any3ym.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 53
  • yjypu9yb.jpg
    yjypu9yb.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 47
  • unepunen.jpg
    unepunen.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 70
  • ve4y8y8a.jpg
    ve4y8y8a.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 52
  • vytanebu.jpg
    vytanebu.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 57
  • y9ujuvu2.jpg
    y9ujuvu2.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
As last minute communication with GrantW failed as it was very last minute and my own fault I was left with make a plan or detour past Crispin which was a little out the way but thanks for the offer.

Sorry again about that Warren - When it all went quiet I guessed you had made easier plans.

Back