Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

So wife was moaning (ooo er mrs) that the wheels felt funny on the 120... Trying to clarify gets me nowhere, so I take over driving.... Sure enough there is a clunk sound coming from front left on pull off are if on full lock, and around 50mph there is a wobble noticeable at the steering wheel....

Hmm says I as we pull up at friends house, don't drive on the motorway till I can check it...

Anyway I walk around and all looks OK, except I notice the wheel studs on left front seem to be sticking out a bit further than normal, so I try and turn them by hand...

Eek all 5 apart from locking nut are loose, almost at end of thread...

Tightened them up and Prob solved, but I can't understand why they were loose, all other wheels were fine. Last time wheels were off was at last service 6 months ago...

Very odd indeed, perhaps theft or malicious attempts, but can't figure it out.

Anyway, make sure you show your nuts some love guys

I'm working on the land cruiser tomorrow but today the other halfs jimny got some loving, fixed the sticky brakes and removed the catView attachment 123226

As a fellow Jimny enthusiast, I'm interested to know how much difference scraping the cat out makes. Can you get up to 63 mph following a long downhill stretch now? Is yours a G or M engine?

So wife was moaning (ooo er mrs) that the wheels felt funny on the 120... Trying to clarify gets me nowhere, so I take over driving.... Sure enough there is a clunk sound coming from front left on pull off are if on full lock, and around 50mph there is a wobble noticeable at the steering wheel....

Hmm says I as we pull up at friends house, don't drive on the motorway till I can check it...

Anyway I walk around and all looks OK, except I notice the wheel studs on left front seem to be sticking out a bit further than normal, so I try and turn them by hand...

Eek all 5 apart from locking nut are loose, almost at end of thread...

Tightened them up and Prob solved, but I can't understand why they were loose, all other wheels were fine. Last time wheels were off was at last service 6 months ago...

Very odd indeed, perhaps theft or malicious attempts, but can't figure it out.

Anyway, make sure you show your nuts some love guys

Lucky!!

It could of been someone trying to have the wheel away. Are there any marks on the locking wheel nut? have they tried to use a locking wheel nut removal tool?

As a fellow Jimny enthusiast, I'm interested to know how much difference scraping the cat out makes. Can you get up to 63 mph following a long downhill stretch now? Is yours a G or M engine?
It's a t reg so it has the older engine It seems to have a little more pick up now but I'm not sure if that is just the brakes not sticking anymore I mostly did the cat for piece of mind as I have read people have problems with them and it was easy to do. It will do 70 if you are brave enough and don't mind your filings rattling out. I'm hoping removing the cat will help the fuel economy how can a 1.3 1 ton car be worse on fuel than an 3 ton 4.2

Lucky!!

It could of been someone trying to have the wheel away. Are there any marks on the locking wheel nut? have they tried to use a locking wheel nut removal tool?
Nope no marks on the locking nut at all. I suspect they just worked loose, but really don't know...

It's a t reg so it has the older engine It seems to have a little more pick up now but I'm not sure if that is just the brakes not sticking anymore I mostly did the cat for piece of mind as I have read people have problems with them and it was easy to do. It will do 70 if you are brave enough and don't mind your filings rattling out. I'm hoping removing the cat will help the fuel economy how can a 1.3 1 ton car be worse on fuel than an 3 ton 4.2

There's a top 10 surprisingly uneconomic cars list somewhere. No prizes for guessing what's top! I find 45 mph is where the bravery is needed. To push on past the speed wobble.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bit of a random weekend really !

Took the parking mirror, side steps and front "bull bar" off.

Also had a good poke around everything and all seems good - couple of small leaks but ill get round to them in time :)

Also removed the old alarm system ready for the new one - only had one remote of by an unknown maker that was starting to play up so took it all out before I got stuck !

Finally, this is done: the right rear wheel well is finished. It's not beautiful, but it is solid and will be fine for a few years.

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
9.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Thanks mates, cruisers are my pride and joy, I love the way these car are done.

A little warning for those who decide to change the buffers between fender and hood. I bought two different sets, both unoriginal and I threw money because the size and shape do not match. Eventually I found them original: they cost as those reproduced, but they are perfect. You don't always find the original spare parts and you have to fall back on those reproduced, but sometimes copies are really nasty. The original is on the right side of the pictures.

5334990300.jpg

Ok, so not much 'maintenance' again, but I finally got new tires and original wheels back on at the weekend.......
upload_2017-3-7_11-47-48.png

I'm loving the BFG AT KO 2's, they've totally transformed the ride from the Enduro's that were on it...

So today i fitted the drivers side mechanism, the original one was not as bad as the passenger side but here goes
old engine off
old engine on
new engine off
new engine on

After that i finally did something i've been putting off doing, fitting the catch can. I had a go at making a bracket ages ago and failed miserably. I asked a mechanic friend for advice and hes said to just drill through the bulk head as theres nothing behind it, so pulling back the sound deadening in the footwell to double check i decided to put it next to the rubber grommet. bought a rivnut thingamy the other day so today was the day.
View attachment 123250
turns out i don't have a 7mm drill so i had to do some filing, this took ages, naturally i di'nt drill the 2nd hole inthe right place either so another age past until...
View attachment 123251
View attachment 123252
no its not dead level, no it's not perfect but it's on!
Then after much faffing with pipes iended up with this
View attachment 123253
I've used the original pipe work except for the bit from the metal pipe to the air box (which is now tucked in behind the battery should something happen and a quick fix to standard) The clear plastic pipes it came with didn't fit on the Toyota ................... ( pokey out bits that pipes fit onto) and the rubber hoses i bought didn't fit onto the ..................( pokey out bits) on the catch can so i inserted the plastic pipe inside the rubber pipe at the catch can. will check regularly for any leakage but it was a pretty tight fit.
Hello Nick, that looks pretty good. Being a bit unlightened on engine stuff, I had to look up what a 'catch can' was and what it does...... pretty smart. I know you've only just fitted it, but have you noticed any change in performance, and I'd take a guess that you've already had a go at draining it? Was there anything to speak of?

I don't think it fills up that quickly Bert! I only took it for a quick run after fitting to check nothing would fall off. It was pointed out to me that I had a lot of oil in my intake pipe so no harm in getting one.
Ps. I don't think it's a performance enhancement. Just prolongs the life of the turbo, maybe.

The catch can basically prevents oil dirty air being burnt in your chambers Bert , same principal as the egr which is burn it twice to save the planet and sod the buggers who have to pay for repairs . If it vented into the air you wouldn't see oil slicks on your drive but they made that illegal .

Ps. I don't think it's a performance enhancement. Just prolongs the life of the turbo, maybe.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it fills up that quickly Bert! I only took it for a quick run after fitting to check nothing would fall off. It was pointed out to me that I had a lot of oil in my intake pipe so no harm in getting one.
Ps. I don't think it's a performance enhancement. Just prolongs the life of the turbo, maybe.
Hello again Nick....re the large bore pipes going into and out of the catcher, are there any issues with incorrect balance of pressure? What I mean is, with the large diameter pipe going into a small pipe, then back out into the large pipe, will there be a bottleneck or restriction in the amount of pressure passing through resulting in back pressure? I'm not technical so could be talking absolute garbage here......

same principal as the egr which is burn it twice to save the planet and sod the buggers who have to pay for repairs......

Doing something with my EGR is another one of those on the list.......

To be honest I know nothing! I just made it fit. I don't think there's much pressure there. I'll run it for a bit and check if there's any leakage or until someone who knows more tells me otherwise.

Thinking about it, it must be under less pressure than the air going into the turbo/intake or else you'd permanently have an oily air filter.
I repeat, I know nothing!

Back