Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Couple of projects this weekend on the Land Cruisers:

1) I've joined the awning brigade, but need to sort out brackets etc still:
IMG_20200201_140940882.jpg

Drifta X Supapeg 180* awning, for the RHS (it's upside down at the moment which is why it was on the left) Got the old fashioned Thule bars, so going to make up a bracket to go inside them to mount it up to, but by the time I'd worked out how I was gij g to do it, it was Sunday lunchtime and the steel shop I scavenge off cuts from is closed over the weekend.

2) Clutch in the 40 hasn't been right for ages, and I finally psyched myself up to sorting it out.; The pedal was out of adjustment by about 15mm so reset that and the world is all good.

Had half an hour free so had a little go with some colour balm for the leather.
Seats aren't in bad condition but a few areas need TLC.
Well a quick clean (could easily spend a couple of hours doing that) apply some balm, buff it up then cream over the top.

Before
View attachment 163677

After
View attachment 163678
View attachment 163679

I've got a small area that needs a repair on the base, have a repair kit that will sort that.

I'm impressed with the results for a quick try on that area, I'll do all the seats at some point. Will see how hard wearing it it
Nice job, but what really impresses me is that you had a whole half an hour free. :)

Haha. I left work early as had enough for the day/week. Was a good de stress
Joking aside, I balm my leather seats in my 100 especially on the drivers side on a very regular basis, and even more in the Summer, leather and heat just don't like each other.

Keep up the good work.

Got the awning all fitted up today, drilled the brackets at work using the pillar drill and then tapped the threads I needed at home.

Made the brackets out of 6mm flat bar - got them bent up when I got them cut to length, so that made it easier:
84333677_172113727400612_8316613108189626368_n.jpg

Bit of a different approach, but it works quite nicely - put one bolt in (there's 2 holes per bracket) and the whole car will rock if you swing on the bracket...)
IMG_20200204_194759331 - Copy.jpg

And very quickly set up (because I'm impatient)
83828115_182296059681669_3050452431235186688_n.jpg

83741604_162365461882097_5914292527778758656_n.jpg

Power steering was getting a touch heavy and lacking feedback... So out with the old...

IMG-20200301-WA0002.jpeg

And in with a litre or so of ATF. Back to normal now thankfully

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All the drive belts today with a new alternator. Looking forward to a few dry days!

Expensive weekends

Timing belt kit+water pump
Front and rear pads
Rear discs
Front drop links (MOT issue)
Diff fluids
TC fluids
Air, fuel, oil filters
Front wheel bearing
Wheel mounting studs
Skid plate removal.

And the garage now has her to do some welding for me. (They also did WB and TB)

I received a message from Simon today - my '100' N/S Inner Sill is on its way - to join the O/S Sill I bought last year.

No excuses now, I need to do some serious fabrication and welding before the MOT; which is due in late April.

I hope we get some dry weather as I'll have to do this outdoors - my garage is home to another restoration project at the moment (nothing on wheels :icon-wink:).

It never ends :icon-rolleyes:.

Bob.

Like lots of others this self isolation has landed me with time on my hands so I thought I'd start the pre MOT jobs I know the latest "80 project" needs. When I bought it it was MOT'd but it ran out coinciding with the heater matrix replacement on the 24V auto. So, starting with the brake pipes today I replaced the two across the back axle and the one from the LSV to the back flexible. There was plenty of use of the hot spanner as things were quite seized but everything came off eventually.
Tomorrow I'll replace the front to back metal pipes ( with S/H Toyota ones) so we'll see how that turns out.

I received a message from Simon today - my '100' N/S Inner Sill is on its way - to join the O/S Sill I bought last year.

Grrrrrr - the sill panel has gone missing :angry-screaming:. The tracking log (Hermes) says they attempted to deliver three times - but we were here and other vans managed to arrive successfully. Simon has chased it but no response.

I suppose one day it will turn up (unless its been chucked into a field somewhere).

So much for my 'Lockdown Activity' :icon-rolleyes:.

Did I hear on the radio that MOTs are allowed to be delayed by 6 months (I wasn't really listening at the time) :icon-question:.

Bob.

Had a couple of bulbs out in the heater/AC control unit so replaced them with LED’s. They’re relatively easy to get to. Just don’t make the schoolboy error of changing them with the lights turned on as I did. Somehow managed to short out one of the holders and a wisp of smoke later there was no power to any of them. This meant removing and stripping down the control unit where closer inspection revealed I’d burnt out two tracks on the PCB, they very thin. Quite an easy repair so all good. The really annoying thing is the fact It was my own fault after a lifetime of working with electronics and repairing circuits on PCB’s, even the newer SMC stuff. What a plonker!:angry-screaming:

You’re right Bob, a temporary excemption on MOT’s has been passed......
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...d-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coronavirus

Tested the Yaris on Thursday, straight through as it always does. It was due today so not eligible for the extension on MOTs and Maria has to be available for work at school feeding front line workers kids.

I kept my distance and sat in the car for the brake test and did the seat belts, lights etc so he didn't have to get in the car.

Grrrrrr - the sill panel has gone missing :angry-screaming:. The tracking log (Hermes) says they attempted to deliver three times - but we were here and other vans managed to arrive successfully. Simon has chased it but no response.

I suppose one day it will turn up (unless its been chucked into a field somewhere).

So much for my 'Lockdown Activity' :icon-rolleyes:.

Did I hear on the radio that MOTs are allowed to be delayed by 6 months (I wasn't really listening at the time) :icon-question:.

Bob.

I have had my last 3 Hermes deliveries go AWOL. Absolutely useless company to deal with and iam sure they only employee thieves.

After wasting a few weeks waiting and phoning and waiting i decided Hermes very obviously have no idea what service they actually sell , and so i phoned head office then every place my delivery had supposedly passed through and eventually discovered my packages had been sat 30 miles away for 2 weeks because each were to heavy for one man to lift . I collected them and walked out with one in each hand . I did the job i had paid them to do .

With time on my hands and a spare set of 285's and some rough 80 wheels I thought I'd do something positive. I sent the wheels to be blasted and got them brought back (£15 each) and then painted them with all the half used aerosols in the garage. I did buy 2 satin black new ones and had them delivered. The result after probably 2 1/2 hours was this:-
IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

They must have been blasted with some fairly coarse media at high pressure as they had quite a rough finish but considering the state of them to start with its not too bad.
I sent the wheels and tyres to the local tyre place and had them all mounted and balanced and then fitted them on my 24V auto as its pretty much my daily drive these days ( or was !!)
I'd had a new set of BFG AT KO2's on since last year ( done about 3K) but decided eo run the others off for a couple of years as they are 7 years old and the BFG's about a year old.

What went on,
IMG_1913.JPG

what came off,

IMG_1911.JPG

I am really a fan of the BFG AT and have been using them consistently for more than 20 years but it doesnt make sense to me to let the other set run out of time and not get some use out of them. Just out of interest the Coopers are 2kg heavier than the BFG's, but required very little weight to balance them on the wheels wheras the BFG's consistantly need much more .

Any thoughts on the Coopers, anyone using them?

You done a cracking job there Andy :thumbup: ..Dont know about Coopers, But very impressed with my Falken WildPeak's..

A bit deflating after reading the post about the wheel respray, but I checked my tire pressures today, they were all okay apart from the spare, I knew that would be low as it has a very slow puncture that I can't find, I always keep the pressure higher than normal in the spare, and as I have an onboard compressor it was a breeze to top up. :thumbup:

Stay Safe

I've got Cooper at3s on my 120 which were on when I purchsed. I dont like them, as if I inflate to recommended pressure, they look flattish and are heavy on the steering. The rubber seems too soft.
Also I continually have to top up pressures all round, tyre man says it is because alloys are shabby and don't seal properly. Could be.

Back