Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Regular maintenance - 5k oil change (5w30 toyota semi synth), oil filter, cabin filter, diesel filter, cleaned MAF sensor

Today I am working on a repairable Chevrolet Corvette that was recently purchased at abetter.bid for only $6,000. This car is a great deal for any Chevy enthusiast, as it is a classic model that is in need of some TLC. I am taking on the task of bringing this car back to its former glory. First up on the maintenance list is a thorough inspection of the car's mechanical systems. I am checking the engine, transmission, and suspension to ensure that everything is in good working order. I am also looking for any signs of wear and tear that may need to be addressed in the near future. Next, I am focusing on the car's exterior, giving the car a thorough wash and detailing to remove any dirt and grime. We are also addressing any cosmetic issues, such as dings, dents, or scratches.
I am making sure that this Chevrolet Corvette is in tip-top shape before it hits the road again. I am confident that with some hard work and attention to detail, I can make this car a true showstopper. If you are a Chevy enthusiast looking for a classic car, be sure to check out the car auction website, you never know what you might find!

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj
Rear crossmember needed some less rust in it...

Screenshot_20230119_203855_Snapchat.jpg

Temptation to build a bumper is there, but the truck is almost completely factory stock, so that would just send me down a rabbit hole I can't afford!

Busy day today, Changed oil and filter, checked levels, greased props and cured an annoying rattle on the exhaust on the 120.

Cured an annoying small leak on the washer bottle pump grommet and changed the oil (11L) on the Teabag.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great ! The good old washer trick never fails.
I have a slight rattle at times from heat shield above rear axle, where the aluminium has worn/corroded around the bolt head.
Will be washer job on that, problem is getting the bolt undone, as rusty.

My 120 had an annoying squeak on that exhaust joint! I wouldn't have even suspected it, but a fourby4diesel video mentioned it and said if you put your foot on the tailpipe and the noise stops, it's that joint. And he was right!

I chased that squeak on the 95 for a while. Haven't had it return since I replaced the exhaust from the Cat back.

Had to revisit the 120 exhaust this morning, two washers on the other bolt cured the rattle.

Then onto the 80, we're going green laneing next weekend in the Yorkshire Dales so a bit of a check over was deemed necessary.
Greased the props ( yet again), gave the autobox a good flush through with 15l of ATF, its like it came out of the can now. Checked all the levels, checked tyre pressures, oiled all the hinges ( including the fuel cap), all belt tensions were good, all brake pads thick so I reckon we're good to go.
Just got to pack it ready for a potentially great weekend.
On the road test the auto box did indeed change more smoothly as occasionally on light throttle it would change up with a bit of a thud which it doesn't now. I've had it 8 years now and its the first time I've changed it so it goes to show ATF goes have a limited life. The drain plug is magnetic and had virtually nothing on it.

Breather kit fitted to both diffs and the gearbox and transfer case. Roof rack off and bolts taped up with PTFE tape and a smear of silicone in the holes for good measure. Fingers crossed no more leaks.. While I was under the truck I spotted the rear diff pinion seal is weeping a bit so better get that checked out..

Just changed all brake pads and calipers. While I had it jacked up, I noticed the offside front wheel bearing has some play. Yay, another job...
Also seem to have developed an oil leak – not had a chance to investigate thoroughly yet.

Mine was showing an engine oil and filter change warning so this Saturday went to Toyota and got all the service parts, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. Planned to do a lot as I was alone at home all weekend. Drained engine oil and changed filter. When I took out the oil, by mistake Toyota gave me the wrong oil. I had 4 ltrs from the previous change so filled that one and went to T but they don't have the stock. Left the car like that with half oil and in Hi position and completed the oil change on Tuesday.
Somehow job was done but when I went in to update the maintenance record I found out I only did 3000 miles from the last change. The prompt was for 6 months interval I entered and not for the miles. Now updated the record to just miles and left the date blank.
Didnt have time to learn power steering and brake fluid flush so booked a new garage for these jobs for now. I also asked him to check the diff breathers and sort out the front diff leak.

When under the car I opened the front difff filler plug to check the oil level and top it as it was leaking for a very long time but to my surprise about 200 -300 ml oil overflowed from it. Its like brand-new oil, no color change but there were some air bubbles. It's all mystery so waited for a while until it stopped flowing out and just fitted the filler plug back.

When under the car I opened the front difff filler plug to check the oil level and top it as it was leaking for a very long time but to my surprise about 200 -300 ml oil overflowed from it.

How does that happen? I mean how does the level end up higher than the filler plug? Was the car on even ground?

Glad you're keeping it well maintained... :)

How does that happen? I mean how does the level end up higher than the filler plug? Was the car on even ground?

Glad you're keeping it well maintained... :)

I've found the difference between a hot and a cold oil level can be several mm. A cold fill to the bottom of the filler can have it pouring out when it's warmed up.

New Bosch wiper blades fitted, no more juddery wipers. For now anyway lets see how long it lasts..

Back