Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Even if you worked in the rain, you’ll sleep with a peace of mind!
On my part I got my truck dusty today. But I washed it before going to bed.
8E8A68BC-29FA-482C-941B-E38C9AD2C79F.jpeg
220696CD-1B42-4B9F-9BCB-75D9069840D5.jpeg
8E8A68BC-29FA-482C-941B-E38C9AD2C79F.jpeg

Installed a 30 litre water tank for camping. Placed behind wheel well so not stealing any space where drawers could go. For longer trips a couple of water jerries could be used to top it up so quite versatile without having a wopping great tank in there.
21654228-94A1-4986-B6F3-5D438FD8E736.jpeg

Just need another anchor to hold it down. The side is screwed into the side wall so its already pretty secure.
Relocated the jack and tool kit and left access to top up the rear window washer container

Last edited:
Looks a bit crusty under there trev!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice craftsmanship. I always envy the talent of others. Keep up the good work!

The 120 has been losing coolant recently, couldn't spot a leak anywhere, but at 214K everything looks like it could be suspect. Various write ups suggest that the water pump should have gone by now. So dug into the piggy bank and treated it to some shiny new bits. There are numerous articles on Youtube showing how its done. So off we go, any interesting findings I shall report on.

IMG_4681.jpeg

Well technically yesterday.
Full brake service, clean up exercise the pistons in their bores and made sure all the sliders were moving freely, fresh lube up and reassemble, no new parts needed.
Surprising how even when you do them every year initially getting the pistons to slide back in requires a bit of grunt but subsequent compresses were easy, that's the beauty of multi piston calipers, makes exercising the pistons easy.
Did the same on the Forester, notably the brake pedal is applying brakes faster better and with less movement of the pedal, again that's only been a year at most, fortunately same drum inside rear disc park brake design as our Cruisers for the win.
Then a quick blast over with ACF50 under both cars.

Daughter was asking me about this brake servicing lark tonight, she runs Honda Civics and yes i mean in the plural, horrid bloody rear calipers on those which also serve as the rear park brake hence have to be wound back cos of internal self adjusters hence making exercising the pistons a right PITA, she does much of her own servicing work now so wants me to show her how i do mine on hers, do i walk into 'em or what?
Not looking forward to her Type R cos fitted with huge OE Brembos at the front, which unless someone has put some lube on the through pins holding the pads in place can be difficult to drive them out.

Have the same Brembos on my Evo 5, they are not too bad to service. Might need a small pin punch to drive the pins out if they are a bit stuck.

Daughter and her chap both have the same type R's and work on them together, daughter's i believe came out OK (and she tells me she lubed the pins going back in and she looks after the car well anyway) but her chap's needed heating so welded in by salt corrosion were they, knocked hell out of them but they weren't shifting without heat
Both 2016 models both owned from new, the trouble is Honda don't fully strip the brakes out like Toyota on major services (they were both dealer serviced first 4 or 5 years to keep SH and extended warranty intact) so it can be several years before the huge front pads especially get removed, the rears are tiny and don't last long at all.
I'm a big believer in annual or at the very least every other year fetching the pads out for a proper brake service, not sure which manufacturers apart from Toyota do this as part of a major service (they did the job thoroughly on my Hilux including having the rear drums off, i checked), or even if normal garages can be trusted not to just squirt brake cleaner in the general direction only serves to dry out any lube that might have been used previously.

B.B. are you doing the timing belt and tensioner at the same time ? I don't see them there and it would make sense to change them while in that far changing the water pump.

Did 4K oil change. The plan was to change at 5K but still have the confusion between kms and miles so decided to do at every 4K miles which is approx 5K kms. Changed, oil, engine oil filter, air filter, and cleaned MAF sensor beside the oil filter box. Took off everything and tried to reach throttle sensor to clean it but could not locate it so left that for next time. Did everything last weekend, got a steering lock and packed the car.

Attachments

• IMG-3295.jpg
    IMG-3295.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-3286.jpg
    IMG-3286.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-3287.jpg
    IMG-3287.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-3289.jpg
    IMG-3289.jpg