Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why own an old vehicle?

I had an old car, a BMW 525i from 91 that that I kept until a few years ago, used as a daily driver that is still running fine, I know the bloke who bought it . I still regret that car, because even if it was from 91, it was at the time top of the line and was comfortable, great seats, had AC, quiet and fast enough. The sound of the 6 inline at 5k rpm was raising hairs on my hands... it was great. I sold it because after less than 2 years after a costly full respray rust at the door sills came back.

For the time back than, it was full of electronics. Most issue I had with it were normal wear and tear - suspension bits, some hoses cracking.. etc..

I do myself all the maintenance on 120 like I did on that one. The mechanical work is more complicated because this one is a turbo diesel, infinitely more complex fuel/air distribution system that one th\at was a simple naturally aspirated engine.
You want a simple fix any ware with a 90% of the faults repairable that can stop you dead, buy a naturally aspirated petrol and have with you stop leak - and duck tape

For me, the electronics, the reliable ones, not the Land rover type, are helping, because I can read some faults and already gives me a idea where to start looking.
Anyway. the next one for me after the 120 will be for sure a petrol. And petrol landcruiser with a an engine up to 3.5 maximum that I could afford to pay taxes on it - nowhere to be found, so will go for a tacoma or Hilux V6, diesel is dead in europe, hence the issues people from forums have trying to sell the rigs. Even if you buy a Euro6 some green nuts win an election and ban them.

I don't want to start a build again, love the vehicle and forced to sell it after..

Last edited:
Most new bikes are full of electronics but many come with onboard diagnostics so you dont need a fancy plug in tester or a laptop loaded with manufacturer specific, dealer controlled software. Just put the bike in diagnostic mode, read the code from the dash, look up the code in the service manual and it tells you whats wrong so you know where to start looking and what, if anything, to change. If all cars were like this maybe the home mechanics would be much more at ease with buying a newer vehicle.

I've just spent done this in the HJ45 today
60325715_426668137897176_2099000248981520384_n.jpg
This was today left at 7.20, got home at 17.15... on top of 1.5hrs in it yesterday... all up just under 700km

Was it fun? Well, I did manage to keep up on most of the highway, sitting at about 100km/h, which is the going speed most of the time. It was a bit cold this morning, and yesterday afternoon as there isn't any heating, nor is the cab perfectly sealed...

Does my back, shoulders and legs know about it? Hell yes, and that's before I unload the new tray and canopy...
60358805_424483945055954_5052312326846283776_n.jpg

It wont be getting Repaired Andy, Im gonna loose money weather i fix it or just part chop it for something else Its been sat down the Marina for 8hrs now, And its stayed up fine , Ive been underneath there's no leaks / creaking, Or anything amiss .. Might have just been a one off... It raises and lowers itself fine on the Button. So Dont Know.... Ignore it.. Sorry for the thread jack Rich..

Have a word with trev at freedom 4x4. i sell the airbags and trev can convert the airbags on the truck to spring ;)

Have a word with trev at freedom 4x4. i sell the airbags and trev can convert the airbags on the truck to spring ;)
Thanks for the offer Karl, But my spare money goes on the 80...suspension was fine this morning.. Every thing stayed up, Im hoping it was just a one off..... Any way Trevor will be Busy enough rebuilding my Engine soon.:thumbup: Wont be long Now Trevor!!!

I enjoyed that Rich, thanks for posting.
For me, my old HZJ 80 hits the mark. There’s plenty more comfy vehicles I know, but I did a 1,000 km round-trip at Easter, and enjoyed every km of it. There were 6 of us in the truck, luggage on the roof, nobody complained of travel fatigue, and I had the usual cruiser grin throughout. I’ve always had old cars and kept them going long after their “normal” lifespan, but I’ve never owned a car for 13 years like I have this 80, it does everything I want, starts on the button and never misses a beat. It’s basic, simple and I can feel the road under me like the guy with his old ford truck in the video.
What more do I need? Nothing, is the answer. Just another 13 years in it or more if I’m lucky.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I understand the charm of an old car.
What I don't understand is why all people freak out about electronics. Like all things, if done well they are fine. You mean absolutely every car made in the 80's or 60 was bullet proof ?
Like now they had good cars, and bad ones.
I haven't heard any horror stories about dying in the desert because of electronics. Now you can connect with a phone, delete errors etc. go straight to the issue.
Engines are more complicated and less reliable due to pollution rules not because of electronics.

The tools you need to do work on an 150 are the same as the 80, the only extra thing is a phone or a laptop.

And I also appreciate surviving an impact at 70 km /h and some comfort to be able do 1200 km / day without forming blood cloths, going nuts from noise or dehydrating from lack of AC .. so I get to spend more time to my target destination instead on some highway road.

right know the only thing that is worrying me about a new land cruiser or hilux is the ad blue system and dpf.

take a look at the link below... 2 of the most highest mileage 4x4 in uk are prado 120.
https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/4x4s/toyota-land-cruiser-hits-484000-miles
ha ha, the owner of the 80 in that article is a mate of mine.

cars of that era, nice though they are, are ok for a drive around the countryside of a sunny weekend, stopping off at a couple of pubs imo..
for me the 80 is the perfect mix of enough driver comforts such as aircon, cruise control, power steering, coil springs etc. its all pretty simple stuff too, most of it being serviceable with overhaul kits from Toyota.

I understand the charm of an old car.
What I don't understand is why all people freak out about electronics. Like all things, if done well they are fine. You mean absolutely every car made in the 80's or 60 was bullet proof ?
Like now they had good cars, and bad ones.
I haven't heard any horror stories about dying in the desert because of electronics. Now you can connect with a phone, delete errors etc. go straight to the issue.
Engines are more complicated and less reliable due to pollution rules not because of electronics.

The tools you need to do work on an 150 are the same as the 80, the only extra thing is a phone or a laptop.

And I also appreciate surviving an impact at 70 km /h and some comfort to be able do 1200 km / day without forming blood cloths, going nuts from noise or dehydrating from lack of AC .. so I get to spend more time to my target destination instead on some highway road.

right know the only thing that is worrying me about a new land cruiser or hilux is the ad blue system and dpf.

take a look at the link below... 2 of the most highest mileage 4x4 in uk are prado 120.
https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/4x4s/toyota-land-cruiser-hits-484000-miles

An electronics failure could leave you stranded with no warning. A mechanical failure usually has some warning. Also mechanics almost anywhere in the world will have some idea how to fix a mechanical problem, not so an electronic one.
500000 miles is common on 60 and 80 series landcruisers, you don’t hear about it because it’s normal!
You can’t generally bodge fix an electronic problem.

Loved the video. There is no enjoyment in driving a car that does it all for you. Keep it simple and mechanical.
Hi Allan, you joined up then. :dance:

Pop over to the ‘introduce yourself’ section and say Hi and post up some pics of your truck, and I’ll see you at Simex.

Rich

Ok, this ones a bit extreme and in a different class altogether… but what a blast this thing is. Quite literally.

Wasn’t quite what the original video aimed at but I couldn’t think of a better place to put this.
:)

Last edited:
The video summed it all up for me. We've owned our 40 for 16 years and for the last ten it has been our only means of transport. Obviously being retired I don't have to worry about long distance fast travel but we plan accordingly and enjoy every minute - grin factor for both of us. Like Clive I have never owned one vehicle for so long. However it will hustle when needed - like being late for a ferry! I really enjoy the driving experience - fast or slow, on-road or off-road.
Yes it is primitive by today's standards but very reliable, simple mechanics, etc.. but it suits us and what we want.
I drove Dave's 80 recently which was a great experience. But modern cars hold no appeal for me what so ever however a while back a friend lent me his Chrysler 300 when we were in the UK - the first 15 minutes where enjoyable but then it was a comfortable way of covering a lot of miles which it did perfectly so it did what it says on the box. For us it did not have the grin factor and I personally felt too remote from the road .
I understand the employment of efficient engines, and the inclusion of clever electronics and sophisticated safety equipment with so many cars on the roads but for me it is about the driving experience and I appreciate that these items are a necessity for many but not for us.

Regards,

Rodger

Its an interesting discussion and I think it really depends on use (Roger - in your circumstances I would tend to agree). Older cars tend to need more "fettling" but are genuinely more fixable. My concern with very modern stuff is the amount of sensors and electronics - not just from a reliability perspective, which are definitely getting better, but also in the event of an accident - modern cars are increasingly likely to get written off in relatively low speed collisions - imagine a very modern car with all the toys and 9 airbags. You have a minor bang and the air bags blow, the crumble zones wreck the front end, those nice Xenon lights are in bits... you get the idea. This also goes for off-road orientated modern pick ups, of course... which raised a question around how off-road tough they really are...

Its an interesting discussion and I think it really depends on use (Roger - in your circumstances I would tend to agree). Older cars tend to need more "fettling" but are genuinely more fixable. My concern with very modern stuff is the amount of sensors and electronics - not just from a reliability perspective, which are definitely getting better, but also in the event of an accident - modern cars are increasingly likely to get written off in relatively low speed collisions - imagine a very modern car with all the toys and 9 airbags. You have a minor bang and the air bags blow, the crumble zones wreck the front end, those nice Xenon lights are in bits... you get the idea. This also goes for off-road orientated modern pick ups, of course... which raised a question around how off-road tough they really are...
Thats an interesting point, Has anyone seen the countless you tube Vids of modern 4x4s.. Being lost to the Sea because the electronics would not allow power too certain wheels because of Traction control Kicking in Etc, There is a classic of a fairly new Mitsubishi, and a Landcruiser i think, Being swamped by the incoming tide To be rescued at the last minute by an Old Discovery 2......If i can find it il post it up... If i remember the Landcruiser was just passing and tried to rescue the Mitsi..

Back