Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why so may "Time outs"

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
What is causing this?
When I try to log in, it often taks perhaps up to an hour.
UK time is between 3am and say 5 am

SnapShotTimeout.jpg

Graham

Don't know Graham, try a traceroute to see where the delay is as it could be anywhere between you and the server or the server itself.

I've not had any timeouts from either home or work.... Even from my mobile over 3G it's fine

If you're in China at the moment it could be latency anywhere in all the hops being taken - especially with Facebook and twitter traffic hammering the Chinese networks at the moment due to Steve Jobs' demise ...

FB & Tw are both blocked here, and have been for a long time.

Jon, how do I do a trace route.
I was beginning to think it might be a particular time in UK, when the server is backing itself up maybe?

Back to FB and Tw, how do I stop websites trying to load in FB and Tw, when I know it's just wasting time, as they are never going to load.
Is there a way to prevent the task of laoding the FB and Tw adverts from the outset?

Graham

Graham said:
Jon, how do I do a trace route.
In windows open a command prompt and type in (without the quotes ;) ) "tracert www.landcruiserclub.net" and it should work through all the hops between you and the server printing a line of data per hop that shows the length of time taken for a responce. Not all hops respond, some servers ignore the requests but see if it makes it as far as printing a name on the fasthosts.net.uk network which is where the server lives.

Graham said:
I was beginning to think it might be a particular time in UK, when the server is backing itself up maybe?
The server does do a backup in the middle of the night across that time period and is busy doing a full rather than incremental job on the 1st of the month and Sunday mornings but at worst that might make the server a bit sluggish not fail to respond at all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back