Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Windcreen Cracked

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Well it had to happen sooner or later, but today was the day :thumbdown:

Mrs driving to work this am in the 120, it developed a crack, after about 20 mins of driving it is now across the entire screen.

I know I can get this done on my insurance and it's a excess cost, but who can do the replacement? Autoglass are the only company I can think of.... Any opinions of them? Any alternatives?

Not happy right now, as from stories I have heard/read, the new screen hardly ever goes in ok or without some issues down the road. Not very happy right now :(

Bad news Tony. Only thing I can say is that I wouldn't want to do it when it was freezing. All the trim etc will be stiff and brittle. Never had a screen done on my 120 but have used AW several times and never had a problem other then leaving an oily hand print on the screen

C

When our Colorado had to have a new screen, our insurers determined who replaced the screen - turned out to be Autoglass... Generally a good job but when I looked closer a while later, the scuttle under the window seems to be fitted less well than it was before... I should have called them back but... :doh:

Just keep an eye on them & I think they will be ok

Good luck

Think its down to the individual screen fitter, but the last couple bodged the job badly with paint damage from their cutters. Is there a possibility of going to a Toyota stealer as it is a newer vehicle and still get it with the same deal as autoglass?

Well it's going in for a service on Wednesday at the stealers so I will see if it can be done there. I will call the insurers and see what they say. I am in no mood for a bodge job, that's for sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had mine done in August, I had to use National Windscreens as they were the preferred vendor from Admiral Insurance. They did a fantastic job, a proper OEM screen.

It's important to not use the vehicle for a couple of hours after its fitted to allow the bonding to set.

What happened Tony ?
Was it just a small chip to start with ?

I hope Toyota can do the replacement for you.

Graham

Just called Toyota and they won't/don't do screens so it will have to be Autoglass or whoever the insurance company use. Won't know that till later on today/tomorrow.

Not sure how it cracked, Mrs was driving, but I suspect it was from a older stone chip, which I never had filled :roll:

The dealers dont do the windcscreens/glass they will get somebody in to do it for you if anything.
If you can take it into Autoglass as the better fitters work in the workshop on the more expensive jobs,and will generally have additional pairs of hands if required.The glass is bonded/glued to the body so to do in a clean dry warm workshop is much better than doing on your drive in the wind,rain,snow etc etc.
I know as I spent many years doing the job. :thumbup:
Plus the xs is usually £50 or poss £75 but it doesnt effect your no claims,so isurance definetly the way to go.
cheers Gary

Gary Mead said:
Plus the xs is usually £50 or poss £75 but it doesnt effect your no claims,so isurance definetly the way to go.cheers Gary
My XS from Adrian Flux is £100 :shock:

Personally I wouldn't go to autoglass. Generally they pay peanuts and get monkeys that have very little experience. If your insurance will stretch go to a good local independant company. Worth paying the extra to be honest. I have had a job done by my local autoglass on my hilux and the fitter they sent out made a right sows ear of the Job. The screen seals leak and he damaged the car putting it in. Including using my A-bar as a step ladder and covering the seats and carpets with cow sh*t from his boots as he stood all over them. :twisted:

Well just called the insurance company and they use Auto Windscreens. No option for taking it to them, it has to be done on the driveway. Not entirely happy about that, but nothing I can do about it.

£50 excess and the earliest they can do it is the 14th December and that is subject to change is it's raining or snowing or whatever.... :(

TonyP said:
Well just called the insurance company and they use Auto Windscreens. No option for taking it to them, it has to be done on the driveway. Not entirely happy about that, but nothing I can do about it.

£50 excess and the earliest they can do it is the 14th December and that is subject to change is it's raining or snowing or whatever.... :(

I would ask for the fitters mobile no. as when i had one changed on my focus because it kept raining etc we arranged to take it into the local depot and they put it in there so i bit of persuasion and I'm sure he would prefer to be in a warmer climate.

Well this turned out to be a mighty long story..... might as well go and get a cuppa and get comfortable....

Last update on this thread had Auto windscreens coming in on the 14th December to replace the screen.... I had a clash with work so I called their call centre to see if there was any other day I could change to...... sure the muppet said, we can do it next week sometime... as we would be travelling to France that week I said, nah can't do that, let me keep the original appointment! The muppet then said, nope you can't have that one anymore as I had to release it and in the 30seconds to check for another appointment it has now been taken.

WTF was my response, I am about to do upwards to 2000 miles travelling and I don't want to do this with a cracked screen.... sorry "nothing we can do" was the response...... Okay so this left me with having to book an appointment for Jan 5th (I think) as this was when we would be back....

So off we go and have our nice holiday, drive to the Alps and back, then drive to Ireland and back, thankfully without any issues.

I take the Jan 5th as a work from home day, as the engineer is expected between 9am and 12.... Guess what... nada. I get a call at about 11am from the fitter to say he can't fit the windscreen today as they never had the delivery and that they can't fit what they don't have. Well what can I do, I agree and the fitter says his manager will call me to arrange a booking. Yeah likely story.

Anyway about 3 days later I get a call from the infamous call centre, and they agree an appointment for the 2nd Feb as they defo will have a screen by then... okay says I, that's fine.

Well the 2nd Feb arrives, I take another WFH day, and end up waiting all morning for a no show. Bearing in mind the chap was supposed to show up between 8 and 12, nothing not a call nada. At about 1pm I get a call from the fitter, who is on his way, he was caught up in traffic... okay says I, I am her come round and get it done.
So he arrives, takes the screen out and I look at it and say, well where's the sat nav piece that is supposed to be at the top of the screen... the chap umms and arrs for about 15mins calls a few folk and agrees that they need to order the genuine Toyota screen which will have this piece stuck to it. At this point he gives me the choice if I want the screen he brought fitted or do I want to have the Toyo want. Well I want the right thing so agree that I will wait for another appointment to fit the correct one.

So it's another couple of days, and then I get a call from the call centre, and the glass will be here soon, and agree that they can come and do it on the 18th Feb (today).....

Then this happens:
http://www.autowindscreens.co.uk/

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

On 14 February 2011, M J Cowlishaw, D L Z Wong, and C J Farrington of Deloitte LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of Auto Windscreens Limited (“the Company”) and now manage the affairs, business and property of the Company.

The Joint Administrators act only as agents of the Company and contract without personal liability. The Joint Administrators are authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).

CUSTOMERS:

Regrettably due to the Administration of the Company all operations have been temporarily suspended. We hope to resume shortly.

In the interim, if your query is in relation to either a previously scheduled appointment, rectification work or a new booking and is of an urgent nature we would advise you to contact your insurance company or fleet provider to arrange alternative options.

For all other queries please write to:
The Customer Services Manager
Auto Windscreens Limited in Administration
Britannia House
Storforth Lane
Chesterfield
S40 2UZ

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience.

Yup on Monday 14th Feb Auto Windscreens went into administration! Dam it, I am never going to get this bloody screen replaced....

However... I get a call on Tuesday 15th from who I initially think is AW (I did not know they had gone into administration at this point) and who I think are looking to change the appointment again..... Actually turns out to be Autoglass and they arrange to replace me screen for me. What a stark contrast, they can do it the next day :shock: yup no endless waiting etc... I couldn't do it the next day but agree to take it into their workshop in Watford on Thursday (yesterday) to get it done.

So it was fitted yesterday, took them 1 hour and I had to wait another couple of hours for it to dry. No marks no road noise, seems fine. Will need to wait for some rain to make sure it's sealed properly, but they do guarantee it for life (well as long as we have the vehicle). What a totally pleasant experience. Talking to the fitter afterwards, I relayed this whole saga to him and he just shook his head and actually said the guy that came with the wrong screen clearly did not know what he was doing as the sat nav piece is only a stick-on piece which is added after the screen is fitted... sigh.

So long story short it's done now. Do I feel sorry for AW... well only a small bit for the poor guys who have lost their employment, but to be quite brutal, what a terrible company to have had any dealings with. Customer service... non existent.

Down side is that I had o pay my excess twice, but I will be reclaiming my lost excess of £50 back from my credit card company

/rant ramble over.

Back