Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Won't start .

Shayne

Guru
Finished an oil and filter change when she called me in for tea so rather than going for a run as i usually do i just let it tickover while i put tools away .

9pm supergran is off to work and the truck stalls before getting out of the lane . First thought shit how long has the fuel light been on so i put a jerry can 5 gallon in the tank .

Still nothing :think:

oops , i forgot to fill the filter with fuel no wonder the primer does nothing . Filter off and filled , I filled the pipe from filter to pump as well because the primer is still worthless and shes tries to start but dies quickly .

To pump air into the fuel tank while priming is my next thought but i've no spare pair of hands to help so i would be grateful for any suggestions .

Crack off injector pipe onfront cylinder and turn over on the key. Should bleed itself up. Once running nip it back up should be fine.

Bravo Gav i do that on the boat so i don't know why it never crossed my mind , typically it leaves two cars parked illegally and i know people are working in the lane tomorrow back and forth with a trailer :icon-rolleyes:

Nearly but no cigar and i gotta stop nieghbours must be cursing me while they try to sleep .

Lol i can push my 90 but i'm not moving this lump on my own .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pull the pipe off the fuel pump mate then prime filter untill you get fuel at the pump then start

No chance and i'm baffled , the only way i can get some lumpy life is to pour diesel into the pipe feeding the filter as well as filling filter to pump .

Halfords don't sell a non return valve so theres little chance of getting one today .

Primer housing is shot surely if 5 minutes pumping got nothing to the pump .

The world hates me thats what it is , 3 years of too many cars and now we are sharing one between 3 families and right now it will be parked in a hospital works car park until it returns to take someone else to work , until it returns here to take the rest to work and then it will be dropped off in the morning so it can return to hospital .

Could the pipe from the tank be blocked? Try blowing air down the fuel pipe into the tank which could clear the blockage.

Worth a try thanks Towpack .

Local parts supplier has a 10mm non return valve so the plan is to fill all the pipes again put the valve in and crack an injector .

But i don't know anybody who drives a car i didn't buy and they all pedestrian now for one reason or another and i just found out i cant get a taxi without downloading the app and entering my bank details so i told him to shove that right up his ............ a 5 miles walk might do me some good :(

Unless you pressurize the tank with air from the filter feed by leaving the filler cap on !

3 cheers for Towpack he's a beautiful man :clap:

It's worth pulling the sender out of the tank. The pick up pipe may have crap in it too.

Can i get to that without dropping the tank ?

The 10mm check valve looks to small to me so i think i will wait for the postman to bring a 12mm and put it right before the filter .

yes mate. back seats out 8 14mm bolts. carpet back. 3 screws take plate off floor and your at top of tank. 8 8mm bolts and it's off. not a bad job and good to get it done tbh

I cut the carpet to get to it. Makes life easy. Then just use sticky sided velcro to close the flap down. I figured that getting in there might be a regular maintenance task.

Sorry for the thread jack but am having trouble with my 100 auto been through the click no start thread basically broke down and turned out to be the starter solenoid got a rebuild kit from Roughtrax rebuilt it checked it fitted it click no start took it off mechanic came checked the electrics took it away bench tested said all was OK refitted it click no start rechecked all fuses and relays click no start Has anyone got any ideas please oh and now central locking don't work but alarm does might have blown a fuse on that one

Good call for pick up sock. If it stalled after vehicle not moving for a long period crap might have settled on the sock. Very easy job.

Cheers folks thats something for the weekend , if i've learned anything about the 80 its to never show it a spanner when you might need to drive it soon , on the bright side it will keep going until you have time to fix it .

9pm supergran is off to work and the truck stalls before getting out of the lane . First thought shit how long has the fuel light been on so i put a jerry can 5 gallon in the tank...

If your fuel warning light was on a good while and you were running on the dregs of the tank, it might be the dreaded diesel bug, which lives at the boundary between the diesel and the layer of water in the bottom of the tank.

It happened to me once on a previous van. I just made it to a filling station, running on fumes, after going into the red on the motorway. Filled up with diesel, sighing with relief that I'd made it in time. Then drove off and spluttered to a halt about 2 minutes later. Long [and expensive] story short, diesel bug [in the form of black slime] n the bottom of the tank had got sucked up into the fuel lines and blocked them. Luckily the two fuel filters stopped any of it getting into the pump itself, or it would have been a rebuild job.

Back