Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

X-Eng handbrake for the 80 series

Hello and welcome, Simon!

X-Eng Simon said:
A quick final question for you, do you know if it's the same transfer box in a 70 as a 79? I've had an enquiry from someone who has a (possibly more than one?) 79 series converted for military use who wanted to know if it would fit?
I don't think so - the 79 is a heavy-duty version and typically comes with the 4.2D (1HZ) or 4.5 petrol (1FZ) and now replaced with the 4l V6 petrol. The UK 70s seem to have either the 2.4D or the 3l TD, which I imagine use lighter-duty gear boxes and t/cases. IIRC the gearboxes on the 79s are either H151 or R151 - perhaps someone with a 70 can post their gearbox code. Obviously if they're the same, then it stands to reason that the t/cases would be interchangeable :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Cossack said:
I've just spoken to Simon of X-Eng and volunteered my 80 as a guinea pig, :dance: He needs to have a look underneath for an initial inspection to see what is necessary but won't be able to do anything for a couple of weeks as he has a Jimny on the ramp that he is fitting 80 series axles to. :shock:

Hey Chas, I just wondered if you've been to visit Simon yet or if anything has started being developed....? :whistle:

Lorin said:
Cossack said:
I've just spoken to Simon of X-Eng and volunteered my 80 as a guinea pig, :dance: He needs to have a look underneath for an initial inspection to see what is necessary but won't be able to do anything for a couple of weeks as he has a Jimny on the ramp that he is fitting 80 series axles to. :shock:

Hey Chas, I just wondered if you've been to visit Simon yet or if anything has started being developed....? :whistle:
I haven't heard from him yet :( he was supposed to contact me when he had his workshop free. I'll give him another call.

EDIT
I've spoken to Simon again and was told the development is going ahead, a plastic prototype has been made and taken to a manufacturer who says it's perfectly viable and Simon will be contacting me in due course :thumbup:

Cossack said:
I haven't heard from him yet :( he was supposed to contact me when he had his workshop free. I'll give him another call.

Cool. I'll also send an email. I want that handbrake :twisted:

EDIT
Great news Chas - keep us informed :thumbup:

X2

I'd like a front and rear one :dance:

Be nice to ditch the OEM one and have brakes that actually stops you. Mind you just put new discs and pads on the rear. Coupled with a complete clean out of the mechanism, it's working pretty dandy at the second.

Chris

Not been around for a while so I've only just seen this thread...

I'd definitely be up for one of these! :dance:

Chris's comment about front AND rear may be quite a good compromise if the discs need to be a diameter wider than acceptable for brake force and clearance reasons

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think Simon of X-Eng encountered difficulties, can't remember what now, and the project was dropped.

Back