Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Intercooler

fridayman

Garage
I have an intercooler off an import Prado that I want to fit to my Colorado (1KZ-TE). I have the intercooler, the 2 front scoops that go behind the grill and the rubber ring to fit into the bonnet "fire blanket". It looks like I still need a part that attaches the intercooler to a manifold on the top left side of the engine - does anyone know of someone breaking a Prado?

Does anyone know if I can just simply bolt it all up and it should run fine, or is there more too it..?

As far as I'm aware you just bolt it all up and so long as its airtight it'll run fine. I think on the 80 you then need to manually adjust boost and fuelling to get the most benefit in terms of power but even without doing this you would still get lower EGTs, some increase in power, and possibly a small improvement in mpg when driven gently. Not sure what you'd need to adjust if anything on a Colarado.

Right then. This is a list of the parts I have got together to fit a Prado intercooler to a Colorado 1-KTZE. I got all these after comparing my truck to my brother-in -laws Prado.

Inlet manifold.
This is different on a Prado as it turns the throttle body through 90 degrees and sits it level to connect it to the intercooler. On the Colorado, the throttle sits at an angle leaning towards the engine. The throttle cable bracket is also turned to face the front of the engine block. The kickdown cable on an auto will also need to be re-routed to come up to the bracket on the nearside of the engine.

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

[[Throttle body.
This differs from the Colorado one by having a collar on top to connect the rubber inlet hose from the cooler to it. The throttle sensor is on the other side as well. This might mean you have to extend the wiring to get it to fit. Not sure on this bit as there seems to be enough slack to get it on. Will have to see when I fit it (only been in the shed for two years :whistle: )

DSCN0900.jpg

Intercooler
This sits on top of the engine on two brackets which bolt to the sides of the cylinder head. The front bracket is on the drivers side of the head and the rear one extends down the back of the head, held on by two bolts. They are a real PIA to get in and tighten up as there is not much room between the bulkhead and the block. You will also need to move the water pipe going to the heater matrix as on the Colorado the top hose of the two crosses over the rocker cover and will foul on the bottom of the intercooler. The Prado has a metal pipe to do this with but you only need to extend the pipe and clamp it above the heater control. On the intercooler underneath by the outlet to the throttle is the new position for the air temp sensor. This sits in the pipe between the air filter housing and the turbo inlet. The wiring should be long enough to fit and the connection is the same. The sensor on the cooler screws in as it sits upside down when fitted.
DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

Throttle cable.
On the Prado this is much longer than on a Colorado. I got a cable from a 16v Corolla 2000 model at a breakers for £5 instead of £45+ vat from Mr T. This goes round the front of the intercooler and back onto the bracket on the throttle housing.

Turbo pipe
This fits on top of the turbo outlet and goes up to the cooler. It has four bolts to hold it onto the cooler and connects to the turbo with a hose the same as the cross over pipe does .
DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

Inlet pipe.
I have this as it came with the kit I purchased. The only difference I can see is that it doesn't have a hole in for the air temp sensor. On the Colorado you could just make up a plug to go in this hole and use it anyway.
DSCN0901.jpg

Air scoops.
These fit between the front grill and the radiator crossmember. They force air up into the bonnet channels which direct it onto the cooler via a cutout in the fire blanket. There is a rubber seal which sits onto the intercooler directing the cool air through the fins and onto the engine. I have talked to Allisport and was advised that a bonnet scoop would make the cooler more efficient. Depends if you want to keep it a standard set up or not.
DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

The complete kit as it should sit on the engine
DSCN0912.jpg

If you have any questions please PM me and I'll do my best to answer them. Also I can try to send any pics to you but I'm not that clued up on attachments and emails yet but I will try. HTH

Nice writeup, but so small pictures... :? almost useless. Bigger ones, like someone already are. Please. :pray:

I have enlarged the pics and hope they havent lost too much detail. I hope to fit all this soon and will take photos as I go. HTH

Thanks Steve. I am waiting for the last few bits from Karl, then I will have a go at fitting mine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back