Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shower

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
Having carted a propane shower heater across Western Sahara (yes, I was with SWMBO!), I decided to try to find a more efficient and easier solution. Afer a fair amount of time reseaching on the web I concluded that a heat exchanger system would fit the bill. Most seem to be available from US or OZ (if in stock!) but I found this firm in the uk (http://www.thefreeheater.co.uk). The web site isn't overly convincing as there are no physical contact details, but I spoke with Matt Savage who has fitted their kit, and rates it. It's also one of the few that incorporates a thermostat so that you don't burn your nuts off! I won't be doing the job for a few weeks, but I'll post the results..... (just need to remember the shower gel :thumbup: )

Good find andrew :thumbup:

I like the hot water idea and im going to have a look t the thing chris brought. A engine block heater is goin to be a must for me and something like what you have posted would be a breeze to set up to it.

looks smart - but a big outlay for the full pumped kit,
more than double the price of the gas system Chris got

Whats it like?
Did you fit it?

Yes, sorry, I thought that had posted the pics. I have a 70L water tank in the back of the truck, where I have also mounted the Whale pump and water filter for general drinking use. I ran the supply pipe from the back, under the drivers seat and through the floor where the rear heater used to be, and then up the bulkhead to the heat exchanger. It works a treat :)

Main heat exchanger block...
FRE3.jpg

Thermostat valve and pump (needed if you want to shower with engine off)
FRE4.jpg

Outlet with standard Hozelock connector to connect shower head to.
FRE5.jpg

The whole jobbie
FRE2.jpg

Whats it like?
Did you fit it?

Last edited:
Ah ha! I knew there was someting else I needed to add to my truck.

Andrew, have you got anything more detailed on this setup. Does it work well? How long does hot water last after engine off? how many sowers do you get once engine off? Whats the setup with your cold water feed?

Is it as simple an installation as it looks?

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Andrew, have you got anything more detailed on this setup. Does it work well? How long does hot water last after engine off? how many sowers do you get once engine off? Whats the setup with your cold water feed?

Thanks

Well that's exactly what I was going to ask!!

Andrew

Could you share your supplier of water hose as I have a similar setup and need to get some temperature resistant hose to plumb it all in.

Sorry, been away for a few days. The hose actually comes with the kit, and there is plenty of it. I then wanted to do another job, so found some on fleabay, but I can't remember which supplier.
Andrew

Could you share your supplier of water hose as I have a similar setup and need to get some temperature resistant hose to plumb it all in.

Last question first, the installation is really easy, all the necessary bits are in the kit, and the supplier is always helpful over the phone. I was amazed how well it does work, and you really do need the thermostatic valve to keep the temperature down. I was using it in N Africa, so the engine would take longer to cool down than on a wet weekend in Wales, but was good for an hour or so. The number of showers depends on the size of the shower head and your tank capacity. My 70L tank (from Tek Tanks in Bordon) and Whale pump ran for about 10 mins, but I will be fitting a small crappy shower head next time and would expect to get 3 times longer showers. The water alwas ran out before the engine cooled down!

Thanks

Right. I want one. Seeing as I will do away with the rear heater in any case, could I just pinch those connection to supply the hot water to the unit? I think I would go for the pumped system. Last thing you want when having a show if the throb of a 4.2 running just to push the water around.

I use my gas one more for heating washing up water than anything. it's so fast, but not instant to set up and takes useful space. That being said, it's a fantastic thing.

Chris

Andrew,
Are there any details on the KW or number of plates the heat exchanger is?

I've been slowly assembling various parts for a little while now to build a shower and this is one of my last few remaining pieces.

Thanks,
Grant

Sorry, I don't have that info, but I'm sure that the guy at The Free Heater company will be happy to answer as he designed it himself (or so he told me!)

Andrew,
Are there any details on the KW or number of plates the heat exchanger is?

I've been slowly assembling various parts for a little while now to build a shower and this is one of my last few remaining pieces.

Thanks,
Grant

I like that idea / much neater than my one - which sounds like your original. Fine if you're camped somewhere static for a week with no facilities...

Carry bag (size 9 boot for scale :lol)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483638.479040.jpg

Unzipped
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483658.665229.jpg

Legs attached (2-piece adjustable)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483671.355209.jpg

Shower head attached
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483705.993415.jpg

Chimney on top
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483728.372826.jpg

Gas bottle attached
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483753.413582.jpg

Important bits
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483728.372826.jpg

Controls
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483812.182113.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483826.083419.jpg

Attach hose from tank / tap here

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369483837.226238.jpg

In a shower tent bits great!! SWMBO loves it of course. Lives on the roof rack normally.

Edit: the stainless pipe is a sealed water jacket - so heat is drawn up the inside and heats the water. Temperature is adjusted by altering the flow rate ...

Last edited:
Looks good Gary.
Where did you buy that from?

Gra.

Can't remember Gra - somewhere in Jozie ages ago - like 2000-ish

How do you light it Gary? It's a good looking thing. Proper shower.

Chris

Stick a match in one of the vent slots - there's a serious burner that screws into the bottom of the sleeve and lights pretty easily. Need a long match though. I suppose I could rig a piezo lighter onto it from something else easily enough :lol:

I bet NathanRob could build one of them in a day !

Looking at how good he builds Veggie atomiser fuel things, this will be a piece of cake :whistle:

Gra.

Back