Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Immobiliser problem.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Having stood my 95 GS up at the end of Sept and removed the batteries to store them and leave them on an Accumate I needed to move it yesterday so, refitting the batteries I expected it to start as usual. When I fitted the batteries, right one 1st the indicators flashed on which eventually stopped but when I turned on the ignition and tried to start it just spun but did not fire up. I am presuming the fuel is not being let through to the pump. Usually its an instant starter so I guess its to do with the immobiliser.
Is there any procedure I need to follow as I havn't had this problem before with others? the battery is good in the fob and its the square type with red and black buttons.

many thanks

Andy

Have you tried locking and unlocking the vehicle with the fob Andy? If the immobiliser is armed, it might just need turning off and resetting.

The fob isn't operating the central locking, it lights up though and has no affect on anything??

Andy

Andy try checking the 7.5 amp IGN fuse, may have popped.

Try re-coding the fob to the alarm ECU. If the batteries have been off that long it may have 'lost' the fob. I take it the immobiliser is part of the alarm and not the transponder -in-key type of later models?

How about locking and setting the alarm , then belt the wing mirror or something to set the alarms off . Use the fob to open the door again and it might just synch things ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well its not the fuse, I will look at it later as I have a few other jobs to do at present. Yes TP, I may try to do that if I knew how. Shayne, I'll try that after I've got it synced.
It would seem that the immobiliser has lost the fob since it did work previously, locking the doors and setting the immobiliser as it should, now nowt happens on way or another. If I can get it to recognise the fob I thin k it will work.

Andy

Hate to admit it Andy but i forgot to look in the owners manual until someone mentioned it and for my 90 fobs you have to hold both buttons down for 2 seconds while near the truck tore-synch , such a simple thing is easy over looked i reckon :oops: . my fobs were dead anyway but i thought it worth a mention .

I have an identical alarm to yours Andy and the same problem after the main batteries have been disconnected.

Cure no-1. Turn ignition on. Close all doors. Press the black button for 15 secs to sync the fob.

If that does not work.

Cure no-2. Disconnect both batteries. Turn ignition on. Connect both batteries.

Your fob battery needs to be new and the fob contacts cleaned and greased. They corrode even when dry. I've had 2 of these alarms now and for some weird reason both had the aerial wound round the box. On my green 80 I unwound the aerial and I can now use the fob from nearly 200 feet away whereas before I had to be almost on top of the car.

Frank

Many thanks Frank, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I've taken the batteries off again now though and put the 100 where I was going to put the GS. I will make a note of this though for when I get the GS out in the spring when the salt's gone.

Andy

Back to this, I put the batteries back on with the key turned on, switched it off and back on and it started instantly. Fob to immobiliser and central locking works as it should.
Many thanks Frank :clap: .

Andy

Brilliant - just answered one of my questions in another thread.
Thanks Andy/Frank!

IQ

I have an identical alarm to yours Andy and the same problem after the main batteries have been disconnected.

Cure no-1. Turn ignition on. Close all doors. Press the black button for 15 secs to sync the fob.

If that does not work.

Cure no-2. Disconnect both batteries. Turn ignition on. Connect both batteries.

Your fob battery needs to be new and the fob contacts cleaned and greased. They corrode even when dry. I've had 2 of these alarms now and for some weird reason both had the aerial wound round the box. On my green 80 I unwound the aerial and I can now use the fob from nearly 200 feet away whereas before I had to be almost on top of the car.

Frank

Frank or anyone else!

during my recent engine problems and repairs, The truck had been off the road so long the batteries were very low =, so I disconnected them both and recharged them. Upon re-installing, I've had exactly the same immobiliser problem as described by Andy in the original post, coincidentally we have the same trucks. Well I followed Frank's instructions as quoted and they worked, well cure number 2 did.

Unfortunately tonight, I've had to remove the drivers side battery to allow me to delete the Land Cruiser self-immolation circuit (Inlet heater wiring & relay) upon re-connection of the batteries, its bloody immobilised itself again, this time however Frank's cure number 2 isn't working.

I've tried about 10 cycles and after reconnecting the batteries, if I turn the ignition off the hazard lights start flashing & red immobiliser LED light comes on. If I don't turn the ignition off & go for a start, it will start, but on shutting down, it instantly immobilises itself.

Last time when this worked, when the hazards started flashing, I just used the fob & it locked the truck, then unlocked and all was good, this time, it's not playing ball.

Does anyone have any suggestions? For info, I have the key fob with one black & one red button.

Thanks all.

IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

Above is all the fault finding in the Scorpion 5000 installation manual as supplied to UK Toyota dealers. Contrary to some beliefs the systems were fitted at the local showroom workshops by Toyota Techs, not at the port of entry in UK. Some installs were good and some bad.

Now in addition to the above there is a fuse block behind the glove box. This is part of the install and nothing to do with the original Cruiser wiring harness. I should check the fuses.

The system needs maintenance. There are back up batteries in the siren unit. They need replacing every 5 years. Also CLEAN the contacts in the fob and replace the battery. The contacts may look clean but they won't be. UNWIND the aerial cable from around the alarm box. Some techs left it wound round as on mine. With an unwound aerial mine now unlocks from 50 feet away whereas before I had to stand on the bonnet.

Evening Frank,

Thanks very much for posting this, I really appreciate it. will try following the resync procedure (Problem 5) as the Problem 10 reset hasn't worked for two nights running now. I've ordered some new Duracell batteries from Amazon Prime which should be here tomorrow.

My system has been messed with for sure prior to my ownership, the siren wasn't under the bonnet anymore when I bought the vehicle., I've located the ECU & fuses above the glovebox, the install looks a mess, ECU was held by only one screw, fuses flapping around loose, aerial was unwound though.

Back