Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

For the BFG AT lovers out there........

All-New-BFGoodrich-All-Terrain-KO2--2--top-three-quarter.jpg

136325144_33-1250-15-cooper-discoverer-stt-mts-on-15x10-rims-x-4-.jpg

Just wanted to compare .

not too sure about that comparison as one is an AT and one is a MT type tyre

for an AT tyre the new BFG is pretty aggressive, especially on the side lugs, it seems like a real cross over tyre with an AT type tread that you would be running on on the road but much bigger side lugs than say a GG AT2 which should give it superior grip in the mud and better ability for climbing out of ruts (where my current GG AT2s really struggle).

In essence the centre 70-80% is AT while the outer 10-15% on each side is more MT orientated.

I likey very much, however I am unlikely to ever buy any as I have enough rubber in stock to do at least 300K miles. Bearing in mind I am lucky to do 5K miles a year one set of BFG A/T's should last me till I stop driving 4x4's.

Andy

They look very much like the old BFG Trac Edge to me

Forgot the pic of the ones I have in our yard that have done 65000 mile
They were new in 2000 its the big lugs that help so much
haganu5a.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the trac edge is a top tyre. imo one of the best all round you cant get any more.
stu

I likey very much, however I am unlikely to ever buy any as I have enough rubber in stock to do at least 300K miles. Bearing in mind I am lucky to do 5K miles a year one set of BFG A/T's should last me till I stop driving 4x4's.

Andy

yes, I worry about you and your rubber fetish!

the trac edge is a top tyre. imo one of the best all round you cant get any more.
stu

yes, I liked it. The AT back then wasn't really aggressive enough while the MT was a bit too much for what I needed, the trackedge filled the gap nicely.

i had a set for road trips in my 90 and then put them on my d22 when the mtr wore out.

The tamer sipping suggests it will probably loose the mountain snowflake symbol. This is currently one of the big selling points on the current tyre. The General Grabber AT has gone the same way, reducing snow and ice performance making the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac the only true all round tyre left soon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The tamer sipping suggests it will probably loose the mountain snowflake symbol.

I did think about that when i read it. Don't the Nordic folk already put more sipping on the current BFG a/t?

They do not have the mountain snowflake symbol. The M+S rating does not really mean anything as the tyre does not need to comply with any standard in order for the manufacturer to sell it as a M+S tyre whereas the the mountain snowflake symbol does. Arguably the minimum requirements for mountain snowflake rating these days are quite poor when compared with how well modern winter tyres preform but the BFG AT is not a winter tyre but it does meet the minimum requirements for a winter tyre. That is why they preform better in snow/ice than a M+S rated tyre.

If want a winter tyre then you would get a proper winter tyre, but if you want a genuine all rounder then a AT tyre which qualifies as a winter tyre is desirable. The biggest compromise with AT tyres is usually performance in mud, which is what tyres like the ST Maxx address but you compromise the tyre in other areas usually snow/ice performance.

All this is making the Duratracs the only true all rounder with acceptable mud performance. Lets hope the new BFG AT can compete with this tyre:

1005_8l_02%2Bgoodyear_wrangler_duraTrac_tires%2Btractive_groove_technology.jpg

The new BFG AT:

All-New-BFGoodrich-All-Terrain-KO2--7--sidewall-tread.jpg

Look good to me, current all terrains will need replacing soon, do we have a price and or availability? I can't complain about the present set of BFG s as I've had a sort of rolling replacement system on the go, started with a puncture , my fault, running too low a pressure ( long story, boring) then replacing just the fronts etc etc , however approx 80k miles have gone past during the whole episode, which I think is very good for 8 tyres that are not worn out, and will probably go another 15 to 20k miles, so I think I might need newies end of this year. I am a BFG fan, although I have had good service from a set of Maxxis on the Froader. Regards to all

picked up my set yesterday did yours not get to you Andy?

285 for the front and 315 for the back. it will be ok wont it?

Back