Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota's most rugged Land Cruiser is back in Japan

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Can't see that this has been posted anywhere... Seems they're bring back the 70 series...

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. is bringing back the Land Cruiser 70 in Japan, catering to nostalgic demand for the rugged off-roader that's favored for challenging terrains and as an aid agency vehicle in disaster zones.
The 3.6 million yen ($35,000) Land Cruiser 70, the toughest of the Land Cruiser models, arrives at Japanese dealers Monday. But it's on sale for only a year, with planned production of 200 a month.
Japan sales were discontinued in 2004, but fans have long wanted the model back because of its fun-to-drive features.
"If you ever have to entrust your life with a car, I'd choose the Land Cruiser," chief engineer Sadayoshi Koyari told reporters at an event for car fans in Tokyo.

More: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/25/4307754/toyotas-most-rugged-land-cruiser.html

Thats awesome, shame there only getting the petrol version though. :think:

Interesting, I wonder if Toyota are doing some market research or responding to a genuine demand. The Defender as we know it will soon be off the market leaving the Wrangler and Jimny as the only 2 solid axle off roaders in europe. Maybe in the UK the 70 would have a hard time if it came back but that would be a different story on continental Europe.

I do wonder what a 3.0 D4D in a proper heavy duty 70 would be like. I reckon that would cause a bit of a stir in Europe.

G Wagon is the other one Rob. :icon-wink:

Yeah heavy duty 70 with the 3litre D4D would be cool. :thumbup:

I'm waiting to see what happens down here, Toyota are meant to be stopping the 70 in Australia within the next few years. :icon-cry:

Really hope that doesn't happen! :pray:

Even with all the issues and some of Toyota's stupid (landrover like) decisions with the later 70's I still love them. :clap:

Keep forgetting about the G Wagon, mainly because the diesel one starts at £84k and the petrol one starts at £124k. Even though with some tyres etc. it is a great off road car but the price makes it so far removed from, well, reality.

hmmnn, be an interesting thing with the 3.0D4, especially with the pickup. A proper workhorse. shag all use for expeditions though with all those emissions controls.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks like it's the 1GR-FE out of the HilUx, FJ Cruiser and Prado (120 and 150 series) as it's the 4.0 V6.

Makes sense as an engine option, as has already been said, shame that it looks like it's a Japan only option...

Back