Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beb replacement

I do stock them yes.

As far as I was aware I enquired to find out how many sets were left before acl folded. I had the remainder apparently

Personally for the cost of bearings and bolts I wouldn't risk not changing them,these engines are very expensive to replace or fix.

Yes, especially after Karl's earlier post, I'm gonna be staring at the ceiling until I do it.

So, what's so special about the ACLs? I've found that those from Toyota are the same as the 24 valve engines now, so is there any gain with either or are they equal and it's just down to price? When I contacted my local Toyota parts chappie, without looking for too long, he could only seem to find +0.025 and +0.050 available. I guess he just needs to look harder?

Ive seen a few 24v engines inc the 100 series with bearing issues but nothing com paired to the 12v engines.

Would I buy cheap bearings from Milner or anyone else NO CHANCE. That's not because I sell Acl it's because it's not a part that is a cheap or easy fix if the parts fail.

0.025 and 0.050 are the the regrind sizes. So you have standard, 0.025 and 0.050 sized shells (i.e. bearings). That's three sizes which do not overlap. With Toyota shells each group has 5 sub-sizes very close to one another. For the standard size there are sub-sizes 2-6. You will most likely have a standard size crank but you won't know which 2-6 number you need until you have removed the shells. Strictly speaking you should order the same sized shells and check the oil clearance using plastiguage.

Some people use other makes of shells. These come in three sizes. Standard, 0.025 and 0.050. Each size only has one size so there will be no choice.

It is essential whatever shell you use to check the oil clearance with plastigauge. Toyota or any other manufacturer could supply a faulty shell or your crank shaft pins may be badly worn (unlikely). For whatever reason the oil clearance must be within tolerance otherwise the engine could be severely damaged.

I would probably ask my pal to check the crankshaft with a micrometer…but this is of course only one half of the story. I've never used plastigauge but he has and may have some.

I need to buy some beer.

Does anyone know what the tolerance is for the oil clearance and the same for the crank journals? I am assuming they will be slightly oval but hopefully within tolerance.

Standard oil clearance for the main bearings is 0.036 to 0.054mm (0.0014 to 0.0021"). Max is 0.10mm (0.0039"). The BEB's are the same. If you're going the whole hog and checking for ovality and taper the max is 0.020mm (0.0008").

Personally I think toyota give different sizes so people buy from them.

Stds will ill be fine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks TP. Just need to decide on Toyota or ACL and get the bits in.

It's a good point Karl. If the result is the same, do we need to go to the trouble of checking and getting the shells matched to the journals?

It's a good point Karl. If the result is the same, do we need to go to the trouble of checking and getting the shells matched to the journals?

In a brand new engine on the assembly line then there's some sense in it. On an engine that's already done 100k+ then probably not.

Quick check that things are ok then standard ACLs then.

As tow pack says. From new or building a f1 engine then yes you need to be on the ball.

Personally for me stds are fine if the engine hasn't been open before

All the tolerances and measurements are in the Toyota workshop manual. Even tells you how to use the plastiguage.

It was easier for Toyota to grind the crankshaft and con rods to an approximation and produce accurate sized shells than to grind them exactly and have exact shell sizes.

When the M1 opened there were no speed limits and Aston Martin test drivers used to use the M1. They ran big end shells because of too big an oil clearance so they went on to the variable shell size approach.

Thanks Frank, using Tapatalk, I don't get to see all the other goodies on the home page etc. I'm guessing after doing a search that I need to look on my PC and the FSM is at the top somewhere. Didn't realise it was there.

When the M1 opened there were no speed limits and Aston Martin test drivers used to use the M1.
I remember AC Cobra drivers testing on the MI and the police couldn't catch them so they started using Daimler Darts (SP 250) a beautiful car
love-158.gif

I'm not sure they could catch a Cobra though. had a 1959 Dart many years ago.

I remember AC Cobra drivers testing on the MI and the police couldn't catch them so they started using Daimler Darts (SP 250) a beautiful car
love-158.gif

I'm not sure they could catch a Cobra though. had a 1959 Dart many years ago.

Oh yes! Probably the most famous (infamous?) motorway speeding incident of all time, reputedly over 180mph! Was in development testing of the legendary, Carroll Shelby inspired 427 Cobra by racing driver Jack Sears. Don't know that much about the performance of the SP250 but the road version of the 427 Cobra was the fastest production car ever produced at that time and the car they were testing was the race car for Le Mans! You can still order a brand new 'continuation' 427 Cobra built to the same spec by Shelby International. That'll be the first car I buy if I win the lottery. No traction control, ABS, electronic suspension etc..etc. Just 500bhp, 500lb/ft, a gearbox and rear wheel drive. A real sports car from the days when drivers actually had to drive them. JMO

My Dart did about 130 max, but it had wicked acceleration.

Aston Martin crashed one of their Le Mans Project cars on the M1. Not much was left but I think they used the chassis number again.

Ok, so my 81 is in my pal's garage with the oil draining overnight. ACLs bought (thanks Karl), sealant, sump splitter, FSM open on the page, plastigauge at the ready.
Tomorrow is B day!

You'll be fine, job well worth doing, even if they're not in too bad a shape. Mine weren't bad at all, but I felt better having replaced them.

Peace of mind, and all that.:thumbup:

Good luck with it StarCruiser. When you've got the hang of the job you can pop round and do mine if you like :thumbup:

Back