Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine vibration 1HD-T

JV sends his work to RVS Swindon. I've talked to them on several occasions and they seem OK.

Hmm…most interesting t1pper. What you describe sounds very much like what is going on with mine. I'm gonna try that trick. I guess having all the injectors serviced/ reconditioned should be good for a 21yr old engine anyway as a bit of a birthday present if nothing else.

In case I end up going down the injector recon route, does anybody know of a good company wot does it? We used to have Lucas CAV in Chichester but they've long moved on.

You could try S & S Diesels in Waltham Chase / Bishops Waltham in Hants. Not a million miles from Bognor.
Ian

Thanks for those, I'll keep them in mind. Have you had experience of S&S Ian? It certainly might be worth me popping to see them.

Yes mate, the company I work for (agricultural dealer) use them quite a bit for anything from injector refurbs to injection pump calibration/rebuilds etc as well as new stuff for machines we don't have the franchise for. They don't just do heavy machinery stuff though, they always have cars and commercial vehicle stuff going on. Give them a call 01489 893834 and see if they can help.
http://www.ss-diesel-services.co.uk/

Ian

Thanks Ian. I took a look at their website and they look like a good bunch of guys with a pretty good history. I'll give them a call, they may even have heard of my vibration issue though I'm sure there's a hundred and one possible reasons.

No worries, Hope they can help and then I might feel like I've actually contributed something useful for a change :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a good idea Frank. Probably well worth me taking a trip over there.

There used to be a place in brighton called automarine diesel that are competent.

Popped in to S&S Diesel Services today. Easy to find, and, what looks to be a real gem. Spoke to Ian there who poked his head under the bonnet, revved the engine to varying levels, mainly low, and then said I had a slight misfire that could be felt at a certain RPM. So, either a valve or injector he says. So as there is no struggle to start, any smoke-at all, the prime suspect is…(fanfare) injectors or more specifically, an injector as yet unidentified. They charge a minimal charge for testing injectors and would normally do that when they arrive and report their findings.

So, out will come the socket and spanners to remove the injectors and get them over to them for a look.

Just the sort of place and people I was hoping for. Very knowledgeable, helpful and (necessarily) very clean, if slightly old fashioned workshop. And they're Denso agents. Impressed so far.

You did a rough comparative compression check. Any valve leaking enough to cause symptoms with the engine running would be shown up on the comparative test so hopefully it will be a faulty injector which does not involve taking the head off. Good luck.

Popped in to S&S Diesel Services today. Easy to find, and, what looks to be a real gem. Spoke to Ian there who poked his head under the bonnet, revved the engine to varying levels, mainly low, and then said I had a slight misfire that could be felt at a certain RPM. So, either a valve or injector he says. So as there is no struggle to start, any smoke-at all, the prime suspect is…(fanfare) injectors or more specifically, an injector as yet unidentified. They charge a minimal charge for testing injectors and would normally do that when they arrive and report their findings.

So, out will come the socket and spanners to remove the injectors and get them over to them for a look.

Just the sort of place and people I was hoping for. Very knowledgeable, helpful and (necessarily) very clean, if slightly old fashioned workshop. And they're Denso agents. Impressed so far.

Good to hear, hope they can get you sorted:thumbup:

For the last few months my HDJ 81 has been suffering from engine vibration. Not badly, but it's there. Worse on cold start but still there when warm. Thing is, although the old girl has her 21st this year, she's not done many miles, about 130,000 in fact.

So, I've searched on here for threads on vibration, and there's a few, but they all seem to stop without someone saying 'aha! Thanks guys it was……and it's all sorted now!'

After reading these threads, I've checked/changed the following:-

1, BEBs- were in almost perfect nick, still vibrates
2, fuel filter-was overdue by 6000miles (oops) but still vibrates
3, filled the filter with Wynns Eco Diesel and ran it through-still vibrates.
4, ACSD cold start device-although the gaiter is split, this still operates (Has anyone got a gaiter they can send me?)
5, took the ACSD off as there is some talk of bits breaking off and lodging in the pump. I'm not sure which bit breaks (anyone know?) but here's a photo up the bore of the pump. View attachment 19826The actual lever on the ACSD was fine (as far as I could tell looking at photos of other people's on here) but I don't know whether the bits that can break are part of the pump itself?

Looking at the photo, I'm not entirely sure what the ACSD acts upon. Is it the grey wedge shaped lever at top left? If so it looks vaguely like the lever on the ACSD MIGHT be scoring on the face of it rather than acting to move it left, if you see what I mean, though there isn't any evidence on the edges of jumping or being forced around the end. Anyone got any experience here to know how this operates and what should be where, acting on what?

Thing is, I'm not entirely convinced it is the ACSD not acting on the lever, as the vibration is more noticeable when cold, this would surely be the time when it should be least noticeable due to the pump internals being set for cold starting and possibly staying there. Which surely would give poorer running (which it does) only? However, the more I look into this, the more I feel it is a timing issue as the vibration is mainly noticeable at idle, even fast idle, but is less detectable during normal driving…but it's there. Starting is the normal-half a key, and she still has plenty of go when driving.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
Richard

A bit late but ive got a gaiter you can have if you still need it.

Oh what a star CG!! Yes please![emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

No probs, pm me your details and ill send it to you.

Injectors are all out now ready for a trip to see the Doc!![emoji6]
I've taken the opportunity to remove the crossover air pipe from the turbo to do a drawing of the flange in preparation for my planned intercooler. Got that done this afternoon…then my PC froze!!!!!! Had to redo half of it!!
I'll probably do the leaking inlet gasket at the same time as its been oozing oil for the last 11 years.

I'm considering fitting the new gasket with a smear of Hylomar or Loctite flange sealant or even RTV either side of it for good measure. Anyone got any thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with any "good measure" stuff when i did my intercooler it was on and off for weeks until i was happy with everything , you shouldn't need it in any case unless your boosting very high psi

Back