Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

OK Chas first.

Yep, that's the route or one of them. Some folks have taken the slight detour up to Prague, it's supposed to be worth the visit. Depends on how quickly you want to get here. I can tell you straight that the journey from the Hungarian border will take you as long as the journey to it! :lol: Well not quite, but it's a good 6/7 hours to my place from the border!

Shayne & ratrace, don't get too exited! The house isn't that big really, it has 3 bedrooms in the original part and we're part way through building an extension, that you can see across the back.

Actually, your visit will prompt me to finish it!

The extension will give 4 extra bedrooms, and it will extend the existing two upstairs bedrooms. All rooms will be en-suite, (except our room :doh:) :lol:

It will also give us two chill-out rooms (I don't know what to call them, rooms to watch TV, play on the internet, read a book, whatever) and a big open balcony for kids to play on or whatever.

There you have it.

The frame and exterior is finished, windows and doors are in. All we have to do is put in the interior wall finishings and install showers, toilets and washbasins (all x 6), oh, and floors, and light fittings, and goodness knows what!

It's coming, just slowly :icon-biggrin: (started about 5 years ago.... ) :whistle:

:shhh: its taken me 10 years :doh: shes bound to read this :auto-swerve:I better buy some tiles or something before she does :violence-hammer:

I wouldn't expect to be put up Clive its great just to have a destination in mind , if we can take a shower on arrival i couldn't ask for more .

Must admit forward planning has never been a strong point of mine but 2 or 3 off weeks off the map really shouldn't present a problem for me so i'm happy to just go along with whatever works for others . Not sure the boss will be happy to sleep in the truck though so i'm gonna have to give that some serious thought , roof tent is the obvious solution but i really don't want one on my truck :think:

Clive that's a very kind offer of the house but i've still gotta keep her indoors in some level of comfort while outdoors and sounds like a week on the road .

:shhh: its taken me 10 years :doh: shes bound to read this :auto-swerve:I better buy some tiles or something before she does :violence-hammer:

I wouldn't expect to be put up Clive its great just to have a destination in mind , if we can take a shower on arrival i couldn't ask for more .

Listen, I don't think there's a plan yet but something may evolve. You can pass by for a beer & BBQ or you can stay for a month, either's fine with us!

You may want to use it as a base for a few days, whatever. The good thing is that you guys are coming. It will be just great for me to put faces to the names and meet you face to face! :dance:

you got to be joking, I coming just to see the house. But yes the more the better
Already the wife has yes
And got a rough route to Romania so that will do me until after the New Year as I working on Portugal at this time

Just got to work out the cash side of the trip

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What i meant was i wouldn't like to impose , having seen your pics and read your comments about the place i fear if you just gave me a patch of garden i might never leave !

What i meant was i wouldn't like to impose , having seen your pics and read your comments about the place i fear if you just gave me a patch of garden i might never leave !

Ha ha! That's about how I felt 12 years ago, when I came!

Nobody's imposing Shayne, and I also don't want to interfere. I feel that I've already hijacked ratrace's original "Deva plan" although if you're here for a couple of weeks, it could be a two centre holiday in Romania, Deva and Comarnic.

Really, it's all up to you guys, were here if it helps.

Thanks Shayne, I rarely suffer from hangovers but I'll bear it in mind.

Clive, would this be the route to your home? Sorry it's such a small pic, it's big on my screen.

View attachment 9123

I've just punched Dover to Comarnic into my CoPilot nav thingy and it gave me this (I think it's identical to your map Chas)

image.jpg

Equally small and useless :lol:

Mmmmmm, well I thought it was useless, but if you zoom in, at least it's readable.

Last edited:
OK Chas first.

Yep, that's the route or one of them. Some folks have taken the slight detour up to Prague, it's supposed to be worth the visit. Depends on how quickly you want to get here. I can tell you straight that the journey from the Hungarian border will take you as long as the journey to it! :lol: Well not quite, but it's a good 6/7 hours to my place from the border!

He's not lying there guys!! Though by 2015 there may be about 30 miles of motorway in Romania!!

He's not lying there guys!! Though by 2015 there may be about 30 miles of motorway in Romania!!

Well, we are getting some built, but it's slow progress.

My job is preparing claims for contractors, and they're all clients of ours!

There are motorways, Arad - Timisoara is open to traffic (not a lot of use to you) and we have the A3 Bucharest to Ploiesti (again no use to you and not much use to anyone else, it's 10 km longer than the national road and brings you into Bucharest in a very strange part of town).

Anyway, don't be in a rush, and enjoy the national road, it has bends and hills and towns and villages! You'll actually see Romania, motorways are a bit like flying, you see nothing at all.

Just to confirm, you are talking 2015 presumably summer, as in about 18 months time, yes?

Time to get my finger out and do some jobs in the extension!

I'm interested in this as well. I'm sure I could rustle up a trailer to bring you some goodies Clive.

this might be a very good trip

can't do nothing until 1st April 2014, so will starting looking at possible dates about February time and also we should have some idea by then who is going

But summer is ok with me at this time

Last edited:
I'm interested in this as well. I'm sure I could rustle up a trailer to bring you some goodies Clive.

John, that's amazingly generous of you, if I was doing a trip from the UK like this, I would try to avoid towing a trailer at all costs! Thank you very much for the offer, it's most kind of you!

I'm in the process of trying to source a manual gearbox and a complete front axle for my 80 here, without much luck so far. The worst case scenario would be to find them in the UK, Karl for example, and try to ship them here. I'm reluctant to ask, but would your generosity run to trailing these heavy and dirty items 2000 km plus?

I have the name and address of an international road haulage company but I haven't contacted them yet. It's difficult to organize transport to Romania, especially the added complications of arranging delivery, say from Karl, to a depot in (usually) the London area.

I'll give this some more intense thought John, before we discuss it any further. I can only thank you again for the very kind offer! :icon-biggrin: :dance:

this might be a very good trip

can't do nothing until 1st April 2014, so will starting looking at possible dates about February time and also we should have some idea by then who is going

But summer is ok with me at this time

Summer 2015? Or Summer 2014? I'm even more confused now:lol:

the company i work will accept holidays for 2015 from April 2014

Sorry but trips like this i need to think about at least 1 year in advance

Clive, its fairly likely I will be in you general area of the world some part of next June-September. Just depends on work, animals etc. I would imagine I could drop those items to you because there won't be any back seats in mine only a bag!!

So if your stuck let me know. I have to drive across England anyway to get there so providing I don't have to detour too much to collect them its not a problem.

PM me some time early next year about it.

Clive, its fairly likely I will be in you general area of the world some part of next June-September. Just depends on work, animals etc. I would imagine I could drop those items to you because there won't be any back seats in mine only a bag!!

So if your stuck let me know. I have to drive across England anyway to get there so providing I don't have to detour too much to collect them its not a problem.

PM me some time early next year about it.

Wow! I can't believe this, one moment worrying about arranging some tyansport and the next having two offers in as many days! Thanks Yogi :icon-biggrin::thumbup:

I'll get some PMs off to Karl, to see what discount I get on a bulk buy!

Still Yogi, a front axle is a bit more than an extra suitcase, I'm not sure how well it would fit inside a truck :think:

Anyway, very generous of you to offer, and it would be great to see you if you're passing this way at anytime.

Cheers!

Hi Clive,
with no seats it has to fit OK. The lifting in and out will be the only hard part!!

And ther is NO SMILEY FOR 'HEAVY' so I just added a few random ones as instead :cry::violin::shock:

Last edited:
Back