Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Silly question

Personally i think you should spend some time deciding if a 70 or 80 or 90 or 100 or 120 series would suit you best , i'd bet my bottom dollar they will all beat your freelander off road .

Buts what's the difference between 80 up to 120 in ability
I understand the lc5 has toys etc

Will I wholeheartedly agree with the last statement Shayne, I'd think a move from a Freelander to a 70 would be a bit of a culture shock for most people. I drove a 2012 Freelander recently, and it's quite civilised..

From on what I can gather from the few posts here, a 120 is a good bet, as a balance between comfort, fuel economy and off road ability is wanted.

If you want a pure mud plugger, the 80 wins (1992-97 4.2 diesel usually - the bigger LC) - more torque, solid axle on the front = more articulation

if you want some fuel economy then the 90 (Colorado) or 120 is where to look

90's are getting old though, and good ones are harder to come by.
I'd take my 95 over a 120 all day long, but that's probably sentimentality talking too!!

Thanks lol
i feel like I'am in school again
when I look at auto trader/eBay they never say 80/90/120 etc
I've been told you have 3 lockers for axles
is this for all modals
sorry for being a fool, no ask no learn lol

A modified 80 will flog just about anything short of a Unimog , trouble is they are getting old so usually require a fair amount of work to bring them up to scratch . I wouldn't swap my 90 for any 120 but thats individual preference . Just saying you should find out more about cruisers in general before choosing what series you want because , unlike landrovers , every series of cruiser is different from the next .

Thanks lol
i feel like I'am in school again

If it helps, I'm a secondary teacher by day!

Just do a quick google with the number after 'landcruiser' and you'll quickly recognise each model.
Not all models have 3 lockers - only the 8O has all 3 I think. but UK spec should have a centre and rear locker on a 120...

if you need 3 lockers to get you out of trouble... You're in a LOT of trouble and would have help to get you there I would imagine

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I compare 40/70 series cruisers to series I/II/III and defender landies, depending on what country you are in.
60 series cruiser falls somewhere before range rovers and after 109 series landies.
80/100/200 series cruisers are range rover competition.
90/120 series cruisers are discovery competition.
Rav4 is freelander competition.

Bit simplistic so feel free to disagree but thats my take on things.

Additionally 40/70/80 are all solid axles front and rear, everything else is independent front and solid rear axles.
Feel free to correct me if I have omitted anything.

..... lol

Thanks lol.... no ask no learn lol
Are you a 'young un'?

The reason I ask is text speak seems to be more prevalent in today's society. I was on a train a few months ago and a young girl of around 10 or 12 was talking to her mum. I lost count of the number of time the girl said 'lol', she didn't actually 'laugh out loud', she actually said 'lol'. I'd never heard this before and thought how sad basic human interaction has become.

Not having a go here by the way, maybe it's the norm and I'm just getting old :icon-biggrin:

In answer to your question, see the old 80 series which were built between 1990 & 1997 as the 'Defenders' and the LC3. LC4 & LC5 as the 'Freelanders'. The 80 series is pretty much bomb proof and will take you anywhere but don't expect any more than 21mpg from a 12 valve auto, or 30mpg from a 24 valve manual. You also might want to consider the agility of both vehicles, the 80 is like driving an old canal barge, whereas the LC3/4/5 is like a boat.... not a speed boat, more of a cabin cruiser maybe.

You wont have a rear diff locker on an LC5, it will have the ATRAC system which is a bit like marmite.

if you want a 120 series with centre and rear diff locker you need to look at an LC3 but most come with cloth seats with the occasional one being upspeced to leather.

the front diff will be open on the 120 and the 90/95/colorados.

Are you a 'young un'?
Yes, 52 year old big kid

Are you a 'young un'?

The reason I ask is text speak seems to be more prevalent in today's society. I was on a train a few months ago and a young girl of around 10 or 12 was talking to her mum. I lost count of the number of time the girl said 'lol', she didn't actually 'laugh out loud', she actually said 'lol'. I'd never heard this before and thought how sad basic human interaction has become.

It's 'like' that gets me, sometimes, it's used so often it's hard to understand the actual sentance!
I mean like, WTF!

Where's the 'Like' button when you need it :icon-biggrin:

Ha ha
well after lots off reading I'am thinking 120,lc3 so far
should that give proper axle lockers, or still some salt off traction control in stead

with an lc3 you will get a centre diff lock and electronic rear difflock the front will be be an open diff. but of course you could fit a nice air locker or some sort of true trac in the front.

.... or still some salt off traction control in stead
Ahhh, so that's why they put it down on icy roads in the winter.... and there was me thinking it was to melt the ice.

And good on chips to :laughing-rolling:
have you noticed my spelling s##t

Personally i think a 2001/2002 D4D 90 series would serve you better especially as getting one instead of an LC3 would leave about 4 grand in your pocket to spend on modifications . JMO

I can't let this go without plugging 80s, they're stronger than the strongest thing if you want to offroad it, with lots of torque, 3 lockers when you need them, comfort, limitless opportunity to lift and modify. Less gizmos to plague you too.

Downside is less economy and the size, if that's a problem. They're getting old now too, but if the frame and body are good, the rest is almost bomb-proof mechanics. JMHO. :icon-biggrin:

I can't let this go without plugging 80s, they're stronger than the strongest thing if you want to offroad it, with lots of torque, 3 lockers when you need them, comfort, limitless opportunity to lift and modify. Less gizmos to plague you too.

Downside is less economy and the size, if that's a problem. They're getting old now too, but if the frame and body are good, the rest is almost bomb-proof mechanics. JMHO. :icon-biggrin:

Your car car sounds like a proper beast, photos

Back