Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'SWAMPY' MY 02 LWB 3.0 D4D GX Colorado

I guess your drives looking something like this now then :icon-smile:

IMG_3193.jpg

A very poignant picture that Steve, I have sort of technically owned Fiery for a day prior to Sis paying me, very weird seeing that line up of trucks.

I've probably said before that I only got my 120 for towing and now I'm on my 4th ( tenuously ) Cruiser.

@ TonyP, I'm trying for the full set :icon-biggrin: 70, 90, another 90, 120.........what's going to be next I wonder?

Sis is delighted and I have a few weeks to prep it for Switzerland, so coolant upgrade and thinner engine oil is next. LHD headlights already ordered along with new rear bumper lights. A few other minor tweaks to make it Sis friendly and it's ready to go.

She reckons she'll only have it for a year (importing cars into Suisse is very expensive) so Fiery may well turn up here for sale again, but somehow I suspect Sis might get attached and want to hang on to Fiery.

One thing is for sure though, the criteria was for a reliable, capable in the snow at altitude and mechanically simplistic 4x4. Fiery fits the bill and will deliver. It was awesome driving it home today, comfortable and tight handling on those A/T's. A real credit to Steve's TLC during his ownership.

Last edited:
So what mods are you planning Steven? :think:

I'm looking forward to seeing/reading a trip report about Swampy! :dance:

When are you hoping to get out next? :icon-biggrin:

So what mods are you planning Steven?
Well to be fair it's ready to use, but where's the fun in that :icon-smile: Apart from swapping a whole pile of stuff over from Fiery, accessory sockets, CB, storage, 80 series springs, winch, etc I've got a good handful of things to sort out that I inherited with the truck. I need three headrests, one for the middle row and two for the folding seats, I had not even noticed they weren't there till I got the truck home and the wife asked where they were :whistle: I also need to get a spare key sorted as she only came with the one and that does not fit any of the doors! A new set of locking wheel nuts as she again only came with the one key and that has a lug missing! A pair of front mud flaps and the near side intercooler scoop and one head light washer. My first real job needs to be having a look at the front axle as its noisy, very noisy, but I did buy it knowing this. I guess my first real mod will be the new wheels when they arrive, but they're a secret so :eusa-shhh: :whistle: :icon-biggrin: I also need to remove the rock sliders to shorten them slightly and get them blasted and powder coated in satin black. I'm in the middle of relocating the ARB switching, but also want to relocate the ARB compressor from under the bonnet into the rear of the truck. I'd also like to make a load guard to separate the passenger compartment and the boot space. I would also like to fit OME suspension up front at some point.

Then that would be it all finished like :lol: :eusa-liar:

I'm looking forward to seeing/reading a trip report about Swampy!
Me tooo :icon-biggrin:

When are you hoping to get out next? :icon-biggrin:
Funnily enough I was on the phone to Giles just this afternoon and looks like it'll be very very soon :icon-smile:

Send him my regards. :thumbup:
I shall do Ben, I'll be seeing him next week :icon-smile:

I forgot that I had already carried out my first mod :icon-smile: I'd fitted the silvered front indicator lamps and the crystal side repeaters :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7172_zps759fcb16.jpg

IMG_7173_zpsc086700a.jpg

I popped into Halfords today to pick up a set of the Bosch Retro-Fit Twin Aero wiper blades for her, luckily they didn't have the sizes I required in stock as I managed to get them £9 cheaper on ebay :icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

I also picked up a Sat-Nav mounting Disc and a new mobile phone holder that I fitted this afternoon :icon-smile:

IMG_7415_zpsdf637449.jpg

IMG_7414_zps3ba3e740.jpg

IMG_7416_zps19d8bc1f.jpg

IMG_7417_zpsc5ce00e5.jpg

IMG_7418_zpsa2bb70c5.jpg

IMG_7419_zpsfa3e2181.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I managed to grab some time today to have my first good poke around Swampy :icon-biggrin:

Pulled off the front bumper and all of the Asfir plates and had a good look around and poke about. All is not looking so bad, UJ's and slip joints all appear to be good and no leaks or broken bits. The front axle however is shagged!!! Both oil seals have gone and are leaking, one worse than the other, the pinion bearing has up, down and side to side play in it and the outer half shaft bearing the same, oh and the oil drain plug is sheared off flush to the housing! Thought it sounded bad on the test drive :icon-smile: So, one R56 front axle required please :pray:

IMG_7420_zpsdb4d2e04.jpg

IMG_7421_zpsdffbc965.jpg

IMG_7422_zpsc04f587f.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer :icon-evil: Not a pleasant momento from a previous owner :angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

The reason why it was sold? Shame that you have to fork out and spend time doing an awkward job, before you can even enjoy your new toy.

Hope you find the correct diff at a good price.

Hope you find a diff soon.
At least you were already aware you might have to do this.
Looks like that gearbox skid plate has done its job in past. Has a big ding on drivers side.
Good luck.
You could weld a nut on that sheared plug.
But i guess no point if diff is fubar and coming out

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

R56? Shame, I know where there is a perfect R57!!! With new seals :icon-rolleyes:

R56? Shame, I know where there is a perfect R57!!! With new seals :icon-rolleyes:
Mmmm.........an R57 you say Chris :think: You may have found my perfect excuss to change the gearing for the better :icon-biggrin: Where's that then and do they have the rear axle available? I'm prety certain that the R56 is the 4.1 and the R57 is the 4.3 :icon-smile:

Although ToyoDiy do list my truck as having either a 3.9 or a 4.1!!! Not sure I've ever come across a 3.9 in my Collie Diff dealings, I wonder what version that is then :think:

Last edited:
Think man, think!
Lincomb? This autumn? All day spent under a green Colorado? Wrong diff?

Give me strength

Think man, think!

Lincomb? This autumn? All day spent under a green Colorado? Wrong diff?

Give me strength
Ah yes of course :lol: :lol: Has anyone got the chaps number :icon-question: :shifty:

Just copied this from an old thread;

Have a look at your VIN plate, the bottom row has 4 groups of numbers.
The 3rd group will say which diff you have on the rear. 4.300 or 4.100 and if its LSD, manual or open
It won't tell you the front diff ratio but it has to be the same as the rear if its a permanent 4wd.
Thats why they have a sticker on the front diff to show what ratio it is.
I bet yours says A02B if you have an R17 front sticker.

diff codes
4.100 diff no LSD possibly manual lock A01B
4.300 Diff no LSD possibly manual lock A02B
4.300 Diff with LSD A02A
4.100 Diff with LSD A01A
My VIN plate says K-- F--- A01B A--- F. That says I have a 4.1 Diff in the rear and that matches the R56 stickered Diff up front. So the R57 set would be a great option, a great option in fact :icon-biggrin:

Just need to find someone to build the ARB locker back into the R57 Diff :think: Can't think of anyone though :? :icon-smile:

Last edited:
I removed the sliders today, marked them up ready to be slightly shortened up the front end to allow me to fit some mud flaps and to have some gussets welded on. they'll then go off to be blasted and painted, can't decide how to have them painted, powder coat or normal paint have been offered. Anyone any thoughts as I was going to have them powder coated in satin black, but this finish is not so good if chipped apparently :icon-question: :icon-exclaim:

IMG_7451_zpsc8213112.jpg

IMG_7452_zps9c2e2480.jpg

IMG_7453_zps9e811e9b.jpg

I do love the way they look without steps or sliders :icon-cool: :drool:

IMG_7454_zps87afe065.jpg

I also fitted the winch tray that I'd made for Fiery & it went on like a glove :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7446_zps733c95c5.jpg

IMG_7449_zpsbe606422.jpg

IMG_7450_zps8cd01ab1.jpg

Last edited:
Thats strange. I thought the GX and VX always had 4.3 diffs. And that only FX had 4.1 diffs.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

I've no idea how they decide what ratio diffs to fit to each vehicle. I always thought it was down to what tyre size is fitted to each vehicle. I wonder what size tyres Swampy came with from standard, I guess that may answer the question. It could also be down to different gearing in the gearboxes and transfer boxs. Back in my Suzuki days all the information was commonly available and we all new exactly what models had what ratios throught the diffs, transfer boxes and the gearboxes including all the gears 1st to 5th and reverse. This kind of information on the Toyotas seem less easy to come by particularly with respect to the Collies. ToyoDiy also list a 3.9 diff for my model?!

Last edited:
Got cracked on with getting the front axle off today and split open. I used the tried and tested method of removing the upper wishbone bolts and flopping the hubs out of the way. The only difference this time was that I removed the Hub Nuts first as I wanted to put the truck back together without the front porp shaft, front axle or drive shafts so I could still use it in 2WD while I get the front axle sorted.

So Hub Nuts off, jacked up and wheels off, lovely day for it :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7459_zps6d72a35a.jpg

Hang on a mo' :think: :icon-exclaim: :wtf: is this :icon-question: :icon-exclaim: I don't recognise this hub nut set up, anyone else seen this style before :icon-question:

IMG_7460_zps3667612a.jpg

IMG_7461_zpsa72a13f3.jpg

This is the one on the opposite side and what I'm used to and that other one is larger than my 35mm Hub Nut socket, the largest socket I own :icon-smile:

IMG_7462_zpsde3253cc.jpg

No time to waste, so out with the universal Hub Nut removal kit :icon-twisted:

IMG_7463_zpsf5bdd741.jpg

And it's off :dance:

IMG_7464_zps15158f9e.jpg

Here's the difference between the two CV joint shaft ends :?

IMG_7465_zps36119d0e.jpg

IMG_7467_zps2f00c701.jpg

IMG_7468_zpsd18831ce.jpg

Upper wishbone bolts out :icon-smile:

IMG_7469_zps18a956a3.jpg

Drive shafts out :icon-smile:

IMG_7470_zps54c8e6b5.jpg

Good job I've got some spares to replace that odd on with :icon-smile: Although it does look the same as the others apart from the shaft end and Hub Nut arrangement :icon-neutral:

IMG_7471_zps20945b18.jpg

IMG_7472_zpsb23c4ade.jpg

IMG_7473_zpsad2f2b31.jpg

Front prop shaft off :icon-smile:

IMG_7475_zpsf1272c0d.jpg

Bit more fiddling around :icon-smile:

IMG_7476_zps107a4aa3.jpg

And BANG :icon-exclaim: Off comes the front axle :dance: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7477_zps266a0940.jpg

IMG_7479_zpse1b4d599.jpg

IMG_7480_zpse4641c88.jpg

Split it open and apart from less than 50% of the correct quantity of oil what do you think I found............

IMG_7482_zps6739a562.jpg

IMG_7483_zpsbcd0ed99.jpg

IMG_7484_zps6ed23488.jpg

.......Loads of Lincomb SAND :icon-twisted: :icon-exclaim: :icon-exclaim: :icon-exclaim: I had noticed when laid under her giving her a clean when I first got her home that the front diff breather was not connected :icon-rolleyes: :icon-neutral:

IMG_7481_zps9963260f.jpg

Got all the bits into a bucket of Diesel and gave them a good clean.

IMG_7485_zpsa3bf453a.jpg

IMG_7486_zps52ad0f3d.jpg

Ring and Pinion look OK with what limited knowledge I have, but I'm happy to take advice on it. In the photo of the Pinion you can see it's mostly shiny, but there's a little closer to the flange end that's not so shiny.

IMG_7489_zpsddfeb78a.jpg

IMG_7490_zpsf1fd6468.jpg

IMG_7492_zpsbd438144.jpg

I'll replace the ARB seals if they are easy enough to get hold of, but I have to say that the locker wasn't leaking any air when I tried it, so they may be OK.

IMG_7493_zps4e8f0457.jpg

IMG_7494_zpsf101f259.jpg

All of the bearings on the other hand have had it and are very rough and grindy when spun!

IMG_7495_zps0a03fb2a.jpg

IMG_7496_zpsb52adcd1.jpg

I also removed the Hub Shaft ends of the drive shafts to fit back into the hubs so I could get Swampy back down and onto her boots and use her in 2WD while I sort the front axle out. There's a few more photos to come, but my camera battery ran out and then when it was charged again it was dark :icon-smile:

IMG_7497_zps0e5a6475.jpg

IMG_7498_zps8137425f.jpg

Here's a few piccys that I took this morning now it's daylight, these short days are already starting to get me :icon-twisted:

This is the oil that I managed to catch and about the same quantity went onto the block paving :shifty: :icon-smile: I guess that there's a good 2/3 table spoons of Lincomb sand in the diff that all got in through the axle breather as the breather extension pipe was not connected and was in fact tucked up out of the way! I guess it must have been like this since the locker was fitted and the front axle was last removed a year or more ago.

IMG_7505_zpsf10ce633.jpg

IMG_7506_zpsf217f9b2.jpg

Here's what she looks like underneath now with no prop shaft, no axle and no drive shafts :icon-smile:

IMG_7507_zps33e2ee63.jpg

IMG_7508_zps06b99fb4.jpg

This is what I've done to allow me to continue using the truck while I get the axle sorted out. There's still some grease in the CV joint and I've just pulled a rubber glove over the end to keep the shite out:icon-smile:

IMG_7509_zpsd1d14c9d.jpg

I also managed to get the winch tray, recovery points (now painted black) and the Asfir guard mounting bar re-fitted :icon-smile:

IMG_7511_zpsd34fc5aa.jpg

IMG_7510_zpsd608d29a.jpg

And I fitted my new Bosch Aerotwin retro fit wiper blades that were £9 cheaper for the set from ebay than Halfords :icon-biggrin:

Got them from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ACEparts-Performance-Lighting?_nkw=aerotwin+toyota+land+cruiser&submit=

IMG_7500_zps59c22691.jpg

IMG_7501_zps9c5a01a2.jpg

IMG_7502_zps0b1273bb.jpg

IMG_7503_zpse27da9d6.jpg

thats a nasty amount of sand in there

shame previous owner didnt plug the breather back in...

Back