Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'SWAMPY' MY 02 LWB 3.0 D4D GX Colorado

I'm surprised you didn't turn some nice wooden caps for the CVs there Stephen. Not your usual standard of workmanship at all.

That's not a bad idea is that Chris :think: :icon-smile: My Uncle turns wooden bowls and things as a hobby I'd probably be able to get him to to turn me something up and out of something real exotic like Holly or Mohogmoney :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
But then it wooden go......boom boom tish.

Had a bit of a play today and trimmed up the front bumper to get it to fit round the winch tray, trimmed up some of the winch tray also. May have to get it re Galved :whistle:

IMG_7510_zpsd608d29a.jpg

IMG_7511_zpsd34fc5aa.jpg

IMG_7513_zps4e09c2b3.jpg

IMG_7514_zps5469fa0c.jpg

IMG_7515_zpse93ebcef.jpg

IMG_7516_zpsb0b25dec.jpg

IMG_7517_zpsf49517c1.jpg

IMG_7518_zps287a1e47.jpg

IMG_7519_zps87a3ccaf.jpg

Not sure how this photo came about, but sure was a lovely day down here in Essex :icon-cool: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7521_zps8f3d79ff.jpg

IMG_7522_zps461ba470.jpg

IMG_7523_zps907d6106.jpg

IMG_7524_zps5b9e2f4f.jpg

IMG_7525_zpsf0e2c342.jpg

I also fitted my personal registration plate to Swampy as the transfer paperwork had come through :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7526_zpse16ba890.jpg

IMG_7527_zpsed55cdf4.jpg

I like the way you've done that its very subtle compared to Fiery's trimmed bumper , your tempting me to follow suit !

I like the way you've done that its very subtle compared to Fiery's trimmed bumper , your tempting me to follow suit !

I know a place that the winch mounts are selling new for £250 delivered or there is a second hand one in great condition going for £150 delivered.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:thumbup: That's a very neat job.

Very smart and good neat look

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

That looks like a nice neat install. Good work.

Very nice work Steven! Shame about the sandy diff, what a bummer! You'll get it sorted! :icon-biggrin:

Following the disappointing discovery of a good quantity of Lincomb Bomb Hole Sand in Swampy's front axle and pretty much everywhere else, for example the rear bumper lights have a good quantity in them leaving a sandy tide mark half way up the inside of the lens's!!! It would appear that the previous owner had a lot of fun at Lincomb that weekend. I wonder if he made it through? I stole some time today to drop the Auto box oil, transfer box oil and the rear axle oil, each time preying that I find nowt, but good clean oil! I'm happy to report that I found them all to be of good quality and all at the correct levels, but just to be safe I passed them all through a filter funnel before putting them back in.

I did take some photos, but my iPhone has decided to update iOS7 when I plugged it into the computer!!!!

EDIT - The sliders have also been modified (shortened and gussets added) and they have gone off this morning with the winch tray to be sand blasted for £40 before all getting galvanized prior to being painted Satin Black. Still can't decide weather to have them Powder Coated, 2K'd or just painted with normal cellulose paint :think:

Last edited:
OK, here's some update photos :icon-biggrin:

I given the front bumper and winch tray a final fettle to get them just so. I had to remove the headlight to squeeze back down the off-side bumper edge cleats as it just wasn't sitting well on that side. I wonder if the previous owner bumped a tree at Lincomb as 80% of the off-side front wing molding clips are busted or missing also! It gave the opertunity to wash away some more of Lincomb while the headlight was out :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7542_zpscff57a57.jpg

IMG_7543_zpsfffce770.jpg

IMG_7544_zps26a8eeda.jpg

IMG_7545_zps532d239c.jpg

Here's all of the bits that I've removed from the bumper and the winch tray. Hence the reason that the winch tray has gone away to be blasted and re-galvanized :icon-smile:

IMG_7567_zps5a7a6337.jpg

IMG_7566_zps1f073324.jpg

I've removed the trailer electrics from off of the tow bar and pulled them up into the rear of the vehicle and fitted a trailing socket :icon-smile:

IMG_7175_zpsffd688ac.jpg

IMG_7552_zps524a9290.jpg

IMG_7549_zpsdc01eb52.jpg

IMG_7548_zps7bed6e6f.jpg

IMG_7554_zps18bedab3.jpg

IMG_7555_zpsf21a9d33.jpg

IMG_7556_zpsbb27226c.jpg

I've rust treated and painted the winch bars :icon-smile:

IMG_7557_zpsd74937dc.jpg

IMG_7558_zps43326b02.jpg

Trimmed off the tab from off the back of my storage box that used to tuck under the rear seats on Fiery as it now no longer reaches the back seats on Swampy and then re-painted the bare edge :icon-smile:

IMG_7559_zps3564d48b.jpg

IMG_7560_zps3a22d2ca.jpg

IMG_7561_zpseb6aabe7.jpg

More Lincomb sand :icon-twisted:

IMG_7562_zps44c13f34.jpg

IMG_7563_zpsdcad80b8.jpg

IMG_7564_zps4db7ea16.jpg

Still can't decide weather to have them Powder Coated, 2K'd or just painted with normal cellulose paint :think:
I would keep it simple and brush paint them, the galv won't be a super smooth finish will it to warrant being too fussy?

:thumbup: That's a very neat job.
Very smart and good neat look
That looks like a nice neat install. Good work.
Nice - very subtle.
Very nice work Steven! Shame about the sandy diff, what a bummer! You'll get it sorted! :icon-biggrin:

Thanks for all of your comments guys :icon-smile: I am trying to achieve a more covert look with Swampy, apart from the suspension lift and huge tyres of course :shifty: oh and the rock sliders :whistle: :lol: I reckon with a little more time and better facilities you could completely loose a winch behind a standard Collie bumper, but alas I have neither. Maybe on the next one :icon-smile:

I would keep it simple and brush paint them, the galv won't be a super smooth finish will it to warrant being too fussy?

I reckon your right Jon, although I'm going to get them painted by a professional after they've been to the Galv' in just normal cellulose paint. That way I can at least touch them up myself in the future with a rattle can :icon-smile:

I removed this Odyssey PC1500DT from off of Swampy when I bought her as the terminals are round the wrong way for the near-side battery and fitted my recently purchased Numax battery to her. Although I've only owned the Numax battery for a short while it had let me down twice in this time, that I was a little annoyed about as the outgoing Banner battery had been as solid as a rock till it died!!! It can be a week or two before I use the truck sometimes, but the Banner battery had always been there for me. When Trevor came to pick up Fiery we had a short chat about batteries and after he'd gone I decided to dig out my old Gunson trickle charger that I used to use on my motorbikes. I firstly attached it to the Odyssey and after a little over a day it turned off indicating that the battery was fully charged. So I took it and put it on the truck while I gave the new Numax the same treatment, but the Numax took two and a half days to fully charge!!! Hopefully this was all that the issue was and it just needed a good charge to get it up, fingers crossed. Both batteries appear to be holding a good charge in terms of voltage so far. Not sure what to do with the Odyssey now though, I believe it to be a good battery in terms of life. It was first sold in 2010 according to it's lable, so is 3to4 years old. The Odyssey blurb suggests a service life of 6to8 years for one and I wouldn't have said that this ones had a hard life. Do you think that it's something that someone may interested in buying if I were to put it on eBay? They sell for in excess of £200 when new!!!

IMG_7534_zps620e9eeb.jpg

IMG_7533_zps96113651.jpg

Motorcycle trickle chargers don't have enough current to charge large agm's like the Odyssey - I killed one doing this (expensive mistake). It will look like it has charged ie the voltage will read 12.8, but as soon as you put a load on you will see the voltage drop.

I will check it, but I don't think that the trickle charger I have is a motorbike specific one it's just a generic automatic trickle charger that will not supply enough voltage for the battery to start gassing off. The Odyssey went straight onto the truck following charging and has been powering the radio and interior lights while I've been toiling away and has been out on a couple of short runs in 2WD:icon-evil: and has then been stood in a cold shed for two or three days and is still sitting at 12.66Volts :icon-biggrin: I may see if i can borrow a more advanced trickle charger and have a go with that then :icon-smile:

Edit - The Numax battery had a voltage of over 13Volts following its two plus days of trickle charging and allowing enough time for the surface voltage to disipate, but then it is only a couple of months old and should be as fresh as a daisy :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
I should add that I used the bike charger (Optimate) over a period of 12 months on a loose battery that I used to start cars/bikes/trucks.

Back