Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1 hdft oil pressure and turbo issue

567simons

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,

I had the turbo refurbed due to wear and tear after 217k and the turbo gave out after 1100 miles. The replacement has been fitted but when the engine started I took the oil return from the turbo off to see how much oil was coming out - it managed about 50ml in 30s which would seem a little low to say the least!!

I've replaced the feed and return pipes and oil and filter. Anyone any ideas how much oil should be coming out the return pipe, and why might it be so little?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I don't know about this particular engine but that does not seem like a lot of oil. And if that's the case maybe the bearings failed on the turbos due to lack of oil. I'd connect a oil pressure gauge (or maybe read the ECU one if possible) to see what the engine is putting out. Check the oil feed line connections on the engine side to make sure it's not blocked either. Are these Turbo's also water cooled? If so, check the coolant lines to the turbo as well.

The 1HDFT and the mine being 1HDT used the same turbo CT26 and having taken off personally the turbo
many times over the years the oil amount you mention sounds about right.

From the small piping underneath the turbo to the side engine block don't ever recall much coming out as this is used only for lubrication manly. Equality not much from the two antifreeze cooling pipes either. One thing to note is that when the engines running pumps works and the flow increases the function they serve.

Not sure why it matters how much came out , so long as some did come out its being lubricated , its an add on , both cooling and oil just tap into the main purpose of both .

Not sure why it matters how much came out , so long as some did come out its being lubricated , its an add on , both cooling and oil just tap into the main purpose of both .

Just nervous that the last failure was probably oil starvation but the limited mileage meant that the refurb company did a warranty repair on it - if I haven't nailed down the cause of the failure and it blows up again I could be out of pocket big time and still no further on diagnosing the cause of the failure.

Many thanks for all the advice so far.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oil pressure according to the gauge on the dash is within limits as per the owner's manual, but I guess that's not very accurate. I'm trying to get a test done using a proper gauge put into the oil pressure sensor hole.

Let me get this straight , your turbo was working fine but you had it refurbished to be on the safe side because it had covered 217,000 miles and just over 1000 miles later it failed .

Screams of human error to me and a turbo can't be fitted incorrectly because it won't fit any other way but right , so the error was in the refurb i reckon .

Shayne, that's it 100%. It was worn, but still working. Had a heap load of other work done and it seemed sensible to get the turbo overhauled while I was at it.

Just drive on and keep the fingers crossed?

Its awful when things like that dent your trust in the truck but time heals . Toyota gauges are crap though so an aftermarket one might help settle your mind .

If the rebuilders are any use they should be able to tell you what was the cause of the failure.

I would agree with Shane.

I've never ran a ft with the turbo oil pipe disconnected for obvious reasons, but I've ran one with a vacuum pump oil pipe disconnected and that pissed out.
Iirc the turbo pipe is a bigger diameter and it's all running at the same pressure.

In my eyes, it was fine before someone messed with it..

There's a difference between oil pressure and oil flow. For example a dripping tap outlet has the same pressure as that in the main pipe feeding it, the flow is restricted though by the tap being almost off. So putting a pressure gauge on the oil flow pipe to the turbo won't tell you anything unless the pressure is very low. Oil flow of the pipe disconnected won't say much as the pipe is designed with restrictions of the turbo in mind. I would have thought faulty oil restriction to the turbo to be very unlikely, especially if your dash gauge looks normal. These usually fail with dropping needle.

If the turbo feed taps off the main oil gallery (I believe it does) and you have 40psi, the flow rate will be enough to squirt the oil several feet. Add in the turbo and the resistance offered by the bearings (Frank’s dripping tap) and the flow rate through the oil return pipe will be much less. I don’t think there’s any specs for flow rate through the turbo, there’s nothing in the FSM about it. As said above, just make sure both oil pipes are clear and you have good oil pressure.

Let me get this straight , your turbo was working fine but you had it refurbished to be on the safe side because it had covered 217,000 miles and just over 1000 miles later it failed .

Screams of human error to me and a turbo can't be fitted incorrectly because it won't fit any other way but right , so the error was in the refurb i reckon .

Fitting is one thing it either will or wont .. priming is another

Turbo Technics (who’ve been in the turbo business for nearly 40 years) will not warrant their turbos unless the oil feed pipe is replaced and their specific priming procedure is followed. With good oil pressure the turbo will probably self prime in a few seconds but it’s those first few seconds where the damage can be done, especially if the feed pipe is not scrupulously clean.

So, it's all back together and going again. Oil analysis from the oil that was in it when it failed showed surprise surprise elevated iron and copper levels from the turbo shaft and bearings. Found out that the oil pressure was tested before the turbo came out first time and was 40psi so within spec. Oil feed and return replaced and turbo back in and 200 miles later no issues. Will change the oil and filter again before too long to be on the safe side. The turbo people sent the old shaft and wheels out on the box with the turbo; best guess is these parts were not changed first time round so more chance of it lasting this time. Will know more in a year's time!!!
Anyway, thanks again for all the help, fingers crossed it's sorted this time.

Back