Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1 kz te hard start.

Ben Ruddle

Country Flag
great_britain
I have 1997 1 kz-te 3ltr td which has a hard start issue.

It goes like this:

On a cold morning say below 7 degrees c it starts on the button great.

If you stop for a short amount of time starts great.

If the ambient temp is above say 7 degrees it cranks a bit then starts with white smoke which smells of diesel also if its a warmer damp morning it seems at its worst.
It also starts this way if you go back to it after about 40 mins plus. I.e once the engine has cooled a bit.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Look for a leak in your intake , vacuum or crank vent pipework .

Strange symptoms given the conditions and I can't really point you to a specific problem. However, as with most things start with the easiest/cheapest.

Fuel filter for example. I would shy away from glow plugs if it starts on the dime in the cold. When it's cranking longer, is the RPM sensor ticking away on the dash? White smoke points to condensation/water I believe. Grey smoke would point more towards unburnt diesel. Hows your coolant level/radiator? I would then go on and check fuel lines. Common for them to corrode on the neck piece of the fuel tank.

Condensation was my thought , iirc i fitted a new turbo because the same symptoms had me stumped for ages .

Water mixes with fuel and the excess volume is fired out the exhaust hence white smoke smells of diesel .

Sounds like a cracked head to me. As it cools, the vacuum pulls water in from the cooling jacket into the cylinders. Hope I'm wrong. Might just be the head gasket.

Is it using any coolant? White smoke like that is typically steam produced in the cylinders when fired up.

cheers Guys.
has not used any coolant in 14 months that i have had it.
Smoke i s grey once ive looked at it properly!! Its over fueling on warm start i think, but not hot start.
will check the hoses though.
Thought i might change the ecu water temp sensor?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Miles on engine? Maybe injectors are at fault. Not that they are known to be problematic though

Miles on engine? Maybe injectors are at fault. Not that they are known to be problematic though
110 000 miles with a near perfect service history.
Thought i might check the air, coolant and fuel temp sensors.
In the week was mild and damp quite hard to start, Sunday morning was about 6 degrees c and went on the button

Last edited:
The crank breather pipe is half hidden and mine split at the bottom , its a long while ago but i've an inkling that might explain your problem ?

Back