Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series front callipers on an 80?

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
As title....anyone tried to fit 100 series front brake calliper's on an 80 ?
They have slightly bigger piston diameter and I know 100 series pads fit my 80 so only difference is going to be mounting points /alignment
What callipers do 105's use ?

A 105 is an 80 series underneath. Just has a 100 series body plonked on top

Yes but, no , but , Chris...;-)
They do have the upgraded steering box that 80's don't ;-) plus all the other little improvements like roller bearings in the front axle stubs etc so they may have still done something with the brakes ;-)
100s do seem to have better brakes and apart from the way the servo works I can't see much difference ... hence wondering if the bigger pistons (only one pair per caliper ) are what make the difference .

I was really being very general there in relation to brakes rather than a technical run down of the differences. 105's in fact use the same calipers as the 100. However, the steering knuckle is the same on the 80, 100 and 105. So there are differences in the caliper, but the mounting arrangement would seem to be identical. According to Toyo in any case. It does show however, that the discs are not the same. You can't tell just by part numbers what those differences are though, but it's most likely the number of wheel studs.

Interesting .....
I might get a set of 100 calipers then and see if they fit ...it might be a total waste of effort and I guess new calipers will by default work better than my original ones that seem serviceable but have started to pull to the left so obviously have a sticking piston on that side.
Don't think the extra displacement of fluid by the bigger pistons should be a problem but it might make the pedal go long ...?
Anyone used the grooved and drilled discs Roughtrax sell or know what brand they are ?

I have grooved and drilled discs on my 80 and given that it's probably close to 4000kg, the brakes actually feel really sharp and effective. Not sure the actual grooving and drilling makes a huge difference; they're just well set up and maintained. But it really does pull up well. Mine were from RT, they're Aussie ones. Erm something like ERB or summat.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 100 brakes are "much better" because, unlike 80 brakes, they are electronically powered as well as vacuum servoed. A 100 will stand on it's nose c/w an 80.

The 100 brakes are "much better" because, unlike 80 brakes, they are electronically powered as well as vacuum servoed. A 100 will stand on it's nose c/w an 80.
Is that the fabled brake motor that goes wrong Frank ? some kind of additional electronic booster pump ?
Well used to having non servo brakes on all the old WW2 era vehicles we have and also on the rally cars.... I just need to push harder then ;-)

I need to refurb and / or replace the front calipers so just thought about trying to upgrade at the same time and 100 series calipers are about the same price..... I already use and stock OE 100 series pads and have Brembo discs so looks like I'll give her new stainless brake lines , new calipers and grooved discs .....

Grimbo you are correct. I don't know the technical term but it is an electric motor that can wear out. One reason I sold my 100 was that it was just a bit too complicated.

Looking at the 100 callipers, personally, I doubt that they would make that much difference bolting them straight onto an 80. The trailing piston is slightly bigger but the superior braking performance of the 100 is more likely down to a combination of differences. I had a sticking rear calliper on the 80 so fitted two new ones, plus rebuilt the front callipers and fitted braided hoses all round and the brakes do feel sharper than before. Initially they felt no better, maybe not quite as good in fact, until I bled them a second time and flushed the whole system with new fluid. It's hard to say what made the most difference, braided hoses, rebuilt front callipers or new rears (unlikely).

Last edited:
Back