Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series rear wheel carrier?

Ken Brenton

Country Flag
england
Since my recent LPG conversion I have been looking for a swing arm rear wheel carrier for a 2001 VX without luck. Does anyone know if an 80 series carrier could be converted to fit the 100 series, or any other solutions please?

Thanks
Ken

There are some that come up on eBay from time to time but they are expensive. Not sure if the 80 fits the 100. I personally don't carry the spare unless I'm going long distance as its hard to get a puncture with chunky tyres. Jon wildsmith fitted one to his and I think there's a thread on it here somewhere

you could probably get a TJM one that mounts off the chassis, there are similarities between 80 and 100, 105 is same chassis as a 80 I believe. I know the 100 Chassis is narrower than the 80.
on another note I have a 100 series TJM rear bumper on my 80 and they do a spare wheel mount that works with the standard rear bumper, bolts to the chassis, ARB probably also do one.

Some one like Julian V at overland cruisers might have more info or it might be an idea to make your own ;)

An OEM style carrier for an 80 wouldn't work on a 100. You can get them off ebay (OEM knock offs) and that's what I fitted to my 100 when I had one but you need to put strengthening brackets inside the bodywork which need to be made they don't come with the carriers.

Thanks for the feedback.
Julian
I am surprised the 100 series is smaller chassis than an 80 as it is a wider vehicle and has wider track. The 105 is larger chassis AFAIK.
I dont really fancy the chassis mounted ones, seems to be a very long main support for so much weight. I had twin carriers on my 80 in RSA but they were on a steel replacement bumper of very heavy duty construction.
Jon
I did try and source the knock off's some time ago but they were out of stock. I tried again yesterday and seems they are now available again at £209. Not much use on the fabrication side so I need to find a panel beater and see if they can make mounting plates based on your write up before I order the carrier

Ken

Knock off!!!!!! How very dare you.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
my apologies, I got that the wrong way round, meant to say the 80's chassis is narrower than the 100, it's only about 1.5 cm a side so not by much, it has caused me to ponder on more than one occasion just how much work would be involved in fitting a 100 series body to a 80 series chassis to make a 105 ;)

Freeways have this bumper with single or twin wheel carriers, with very little difference in cost betwen the two. Whilst it does not sound cheap, from the amount of work I have seen it takes to build a bumper, the price is probably reasonable - the fabricators amongst us might comment on that. I dont know what the quality is like and you would have to ship from France but one of the main reasons I am considering this is that I would like the mods on the 100 to be as reversible as possible and fitting a wheel carrier to the body is not (or at least is less) reversible.

i would be wary of freeways , i paid for a front bumper from them and was messed about for over 4 months and the customer service was sh*te,
i got my money back and built my own front and rear bumper with tire carrier.
cost a lot less and the sense of i built that my self is great.

cheers roy

The price of the Freeways stuff seem pretty reasonable if the quality is ok, but the shipping might make it expensive? An expensive solution if all you want is a swing out carrier though and I imagine they're quite heavy which will eat into available payload before the AHC complains (thinking of Ken's requirements there not yours Reinhard).

Back