Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105. Shame it's a petrol (me like)

I didn't realise they have a coil pack instead of a distributor as well, that's pretty good as it is a lot easier to seal against water.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting post that, Jacob. Any which way you look at it ... Its not cheap to run.. I do like the look of it tho

I’d love a nice 105, but I agree with you about the petrol. I once had a brief, ill-advised and very costly fling with a V8 D2. The LPG made daily running costs just about bearable but it was another system to look after and trips had to be planned around LPG outlets. Can’t say I miss it.

I’d love a nice 105, but I agree with you about the petrol. I once had a brief, ill-advised and very costly fling with a V8 D2. The LPG made daily running costs just about bearable but it was another system to look after and trips had to be planned around LPG outlets. Can’t say I miss it.
Is gas not popular anymore? I noticed the two garages near us have taken it of their forecourts... Interesting!

I have an app that tells you where the stations are, it also gives the prices and whether it is in stock.

This is near me in Devon, the blue ones are where there are 2 stations selling LPG close to each other.

Screenshot_20181109-154339_FillLPG for Android.jpg

We got one of those huge garages with supermarket, 20 pumps Mc Donalds, you can picture it.. it always had gas but no one ever seem to use it .. It was out of order for yonks.. Then it was gone.. Shame. Its all Add Blue Tanks now..

The guy who installed our system was a real gas evangelist and had cut his teeth in Poland, Italy and other big LPG nations. He now runs a small workshop in Luton and told us that business was slow because ‘normal’ cars are just too efficient. When we were there he was working on a Golf R32, a GMC day van and an 80 series.

Another fitter I spoke to at the time told me he went into semi-retirement overnight when they changed the London C-charge rules. Up until then he’d had a steady stream of custom from parcel car and van drivers, many of whom never even bothered to fill up or switch over from petrol.

The guy who installed our system was a real gas evangelist and had cut his teeth in Poland, Italy and other big LPG nations. He now runs a small workshop in Luton and told us that business was slow because ‘normal’ cars are just too efficient. When we were there he was working on a Golf R32, a GMC day van and an 80 series.

Another fitter I spoke to at the time told me he went into semi-retirement overnight when they changed the London C-charge rules. Up until then he’d had a steady stream of custom from parcel car and van drivers, many of whom never even bothered to fill up or switch over from petrol.
I understand petrol in a small car or van, we get fantastic mileage out of the little Polo.Its nearly as good as the Diesel Skoda we got and the Skoda is only £20 a year road tax... BUT in a big 4x4 And if I were pulling my Tri Axle trailer too! NO way.. Sorry Rich I know you got a petrol, But I couldn't justify it...

I dont know what you guys are talking about - if that truck really is rust free, and the engine has no major issues - at that price, its a bargain.

I understand petrol in a small car or van, we get fantastic mileage out of the little Polo.Its nearly as good as the Diesel Skoda we got and the Skoda is only £20 a year road tax... BUT in a big 4x4 And if I were pulling my Tri Axle trailer too! NO way.. Sorry Rich I know you got a petrol, But I couldn't justify it...

thats also the wrong use for a 105 imho. Petrol or Diesel.

I can, it works out to 32mpg on gas... same as driving my 1992 MR2 2.0!

The cost of converting is off putting to people but it will soon be cheaper as you can run LPG through the direct injection modern cars have, because it is injected directly into the cylinder it never goes past the valves so you don't need Flash lube, and you are using the cars own injectors saving more equipment cost, the chap at the calor station where I get my gas from said they always are getting people in asking where they can get their conversion done as there are not many people doing them.

I dont know what you guys are talking about - if that truck really is rust free, and the engine has no major issues - at that price, its a bargain.
It is a bargain.. But we are discussing the cost of running it, As opposed to buying it. It is a great Truck. Shame its not a Diesel.

I can, it works out to 32mpg on gas... same as driving my 1992 MR2 2.0!

The cost of converting is off putting to people but it will soon be cheaper as you can run LPG through the direct injection modern cars have, because it is injected directly into the cylinder it never goes past the valves so you don't need Flash lube, and you are using the cars own injectors saving more equipment cost, the chap at the calor station where I get my gas from said they always are getting people in asking where they can get their conversion done as there are not many people doing them.
I remember your posts regarding your LPG system. A proper sophisticated set up if I remember with Digital Display. did you have it rigged to an App That tells you MPL and the like...

It's not rigged to an app, I just fill the tank to the top every time and reset the trip meter. Then when I know the miles and litres I type it onto a website on my phone and it tells the MPG. I can't do it in my head as I am poor at maths! I do it with all my cars every time I fill them up so I can make a comparison and also I know if they are not running right or some particular driving conditions has changed the result. Also it's interesting to see the results from different brands of fuels, they are quite significant.

It's not rigged to an app, I just fill the tank to the top every time and reset the trip meter. Then when I know the miles and litres I type it onto a website on my phone and it tells the MPG. I can't do it in my head as I am poor at maths! I do it with all my cars every time I fill them up so I can make a comparison and also I know if they are not running right or some particular driving conditions has changed the result. Also it's interesting to see the results from different brands of fuels, they are quite significant.
Did you ever reach a verdict regarding Branding.. is there a significant difference between supermarket stuff or expensive Corporate stuff... Im sure that debate will be out for ever. especially Diesel

Shell normal petrol and Sainsbury's 97 are the best, Sainsbury's 97 is cheaper than shell though, shell v power is good but not worth the cost unless you need the high octane rating.

On my Peugeot HDI diesel van I did 120k - 170k on the engine (50,000 miles) with no EGR or emissions faults, no clogging, no smoking injectors, and the oil stayed fairly clean (I changed it every 10k). That was on Shell normal diesel, It's nice and soapy but still gives good mileage. I still see the van around now a year after I sold it.

It's not really a scientific test though, but that was the conclusions I got to!

Back