Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12/24V relay, dead batteries & starting problems

signboy

first, the backstory.
We bought a 1991 Land Cruiser VX Japanese import from Prince George, 6 hrs away, for $8000. It had a couple minor issues, but nothing that worried me, and it made it home no problem through the mountain pass.
Then, we installed a JVC stereo which fit beautifully with an adapter pigtail. I made the mistake of hitting the antenna switch,
even though the antenna is broken off. Oops. We immediately lost the tach, wipers, windows, and stereo. I shut it off to check fuses (which were all fine), and it wouldn't start again. Just a horrifying *clack clack clack* from the starter.
Turned out all it needed at the moment was a boost. The batteries, however, are not charging. I thought "aha! either a ground short or a bung alternator!" nope. Alternator puts out 14V, but not to the batteries.

Then, I found this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7110020/1hd-1hz-1pzt-Engine

On page ST-29, it goes over how to determine if the voltage converter relay is functioning.
Pins 1- and 2+ should have no continuity when the vehicle is off.
In my case, they do. I haven't tested the thing with the vehicle on, as it seems the relay is pooched.

The effect is that the RH battery will not increase in voltage when the alternator is running, unless you ground it to the engine block. The relay is blocking the battery from grounding properly.

On the downside, these relays seem to be about $500 US!!! wow!
Does anybody know where they can be gotten for a lot less than that, or if anything with similar specs would substitute?

I carnt get the link up for some reason.

Where is this relay situated on the truck? I should have a few of them to be honest as long as there not only on the imports.

If it is the 24v starter relay you talk about i will defo have one. I thought these were only part of the starting though.

Karl

looking at it from the mechanic's perspective, it's right behind the Right battery.
5801515077_669ebed0e9.jpg
IMG_0474 by eliring, on Flickr

update: knocked it about a bit with a hammer, and now the left battery is getting charge from the alternator.
I'm quite sure at this point that we have the issue located.

So I got 'er fixed. Turns out Kenworth had the same series/parallel system for a while, and the part is fairly reasonable to buy, as well as being available to buy. It has 7 pins instead of 6, but a quick google search turned up some wiring schematics that even I could read. It started first try, and runs like a charm now.
Being a musician and definitely NOT a mechanic, I was pretty darn proud of myself :D
If anyone else has or had this problem, I can post complete part #'s and steps required.

Please do post always good information to have to hand

thank you

and well done Mr Musician

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back