Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 D-4D Injector replacement

Stuart

Country Flag
england
Hi all - after >10 years of dreaming, I finally bought a 2003 120 a couple of weeks ago, with the intention of turning it into an overland tourer.

I'm looking to do some preventative maintenance over the next few months, and I'm wondering if I should get the injectors replaced first. It's a 140k miler with not the best service history.

Does anyone have any idea of how much this is likely to cost? I've tried looking online but haven't been able to find any prices in UK.

Even ball park figures will be helpful. Cheers.

I'm just on with this myself although the injectors are a bit different on my 05 model which started the rattle on start up at 140k.

£ 820 for new Denso injectors. Recon ones about 75% of that price but consensus of opinion of those who fitted them is that they'd fit new ones if they had the choice again.
Around £70 for associated new washers seals gaskets etc.
Been Quoted £120 for labour and programming of injectors.

So upwards of a grand.

I got the injectors from here:-

I have a Tunit box spare which will give you up to 200BHP if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Andy, do you know if there is an official on line register that I could look at, to see if mine has been done.
2006 lc3, full Toyota stamped book but unless there are receipts, useless history.

TBH I think I asked my local Toyota dealer to check for me but I seem to recollect that mine was past the point of needing a recall ( I think). I would think there is somewhere on here with the chassis number cut off point. Mine ran so well on the test run I never considered the injector recall issue.
When I was searching for a 120 and did ask, the seals were changed at the next service interval on some of them.

Thanks, mines running well, no issues, noises, smoke, but will look into.
Presumably, as mine has been to main dealer all its life, majority the same one in Scotland, it would have been done, - or not ? Thanks.

When i bought mine i phoned round the various dealers in its service history, trying to find out if any recalls had been carried out.

You'd think i was some sort of modern day cold war spy trying to subvert the country the attitude from one of them, the rest varied between couldn't find anything on record to couldn't be bothered.

Best thing is to get the live data read to see what needs doing re the fuelling system, but first things first drop the engine oil and inspect the pick up carefully, the condition of that will tell you much.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If I remember correctly it was never a recall as such. You can check if you model is effected by the numbers. There is a tread on here somewhere with the details.

Juddian, thanks for that. My first thoughts were to phone the main dealer in Scotland, where it went most of its life, but I thought pretty much as you have found out, - a lesson in non co operative time wasting !
Tony P, thanks I will look for that, when I can muster some enthusiasm with this site playing up.

Found the thread..

Thanks guys, and TonyP for thread. From that my vin no. is not included. Phewww ! Lucky or what ?

The injectors will start to pack in around 100K miles. Best bet is to hook up Techstream every service and check the fuel trim figures. Anything less than -3 or more than 3 think about replacing soon. The "recall" was for crappy sealing washers rather than the injectors themselves.

Hmmm, On 130,000 now, shyte ! What is this Techstream I have heard so much about on here ?
I think all of a sudden I am liking my lj78 more and more ! Thanks Rob.

Hmmm, On 130,000 now, shyte ! What is this Techstream I have heard so much about on here ?
I think all of a sudden I am liking my lj78 more and more ! Thanks Rob.

Software and a cable. Search on ebay. Loads of people selling them. Just make sure the software is compatible with the version of Windows you run. You plug into diagnostic port under steering wheel. It reads (and resets) fault codes, and importantly shows live diagnostic info while the engine is running. Also use it to program new injectors if you fit them. I changed mine on about 140K miles but they were pretty bad by then.

I'm just on with this myself although the injectors are a bit different on my 05 model which started the rattle on start up at 140k.

£ 820 for new Denso injectors. Recon ones about 75% of that price but consensus of opinion of those who fitted them is that they'd fit new ones if they had the choice again.
Around £70 for associated new washers seals gaskets etc.
Been Quoted £120 for labour and programming of injectors.

So upwards of a grand.

I got the injectors from here:-
[/URL].

I have a Tunit box spare which will give you up to 200BHP if you are interested.

Hope this helps.
I couldn't find anything Land Cruiser with this link Andy?

Back