Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 rear door question...

Robertxc

Having given up on the idea of finding an 8 seat Amazon, I am now ready to buy a petrol LC5 instead, to be converted to LPG. However, I have a doubt...

I am planning to buy a 4.0 VVT-i, which has the spare wheel slung under the boot. The guy who is doing the conversion will need to fit the gas tank where the spare is. I specifically need 8 seats, and the third row will be permanently in place. Does anyone know if it will be possible to fit a rear door from a 120 that does have spare wheel mount points? Surely Toyota wouldn't have different fittings for the different types of door, or would they..? I live out in the sticks in the Highlands, and I'm really not keen on the idea of running around without a spare!

Speak to Gary Stockton, he's been doing similar recently i believe....

Paging Mr Stockton....

And whats wrong with an LC3 that already has the wheel under neath ?
Remember all the active ride problems ?
There are more people converting active ride back to good old coil springs.

Graham

As Tommo said, Gary is busy swapping doors over at the moment.

The early LC5s had the door mounted spare as an option. I think it was 04 they stopped. If you can find an early one you'll be ok. Petrol ones are hens teeth though. What's wrong with an oil burner? ;)

The 120 cannot (easily) be changed to normal springs at the rear. They apparently don't have any of the mounts - airbags only. I believe the 100s are the simple ones to change.

Crispin said:
As Tommo said, Gary is busy swapping doors over at the moment.

The early LC5s had the door mounted spare as an option. I think it was 04 they stopped. If you can find an early one you'll be ok. Petrol ones are hens teeth though. What's wrong with an oil burner? ;)

The 120 cannot (easily) be changed to normal springs at the rear. They apparently don't have any of the mounts - airbags only. I believe the 100s are the simple ones to change.
I've already sourced a petrol one and am planning to go and get it tomorrow. I already have an Australian import Prado that runs on LPG, but we wanted to update to something a bit newer. We have an LPG tank at home that fills the Prado for about 48p a litre, so the saving on petrol or diesel is substantial. Once I've got the new one, I'll sell the old one and use the money for the conversion. The old one has done 150,000 miles and went through its MoT last week without needing a single thing done to it!!

My first question would be 'why a petrol??'

The diesel is, I think, just as good. If you take a good long look at the specs the petrol doesn't get you much, especially if you put in the TTE chip, which Cody you'd soon recoup.

But to answer the question, yes a door with the mount on it should fit. I'll know in a few weeks for certain. There may be a need to put in a new siding loom - there are two different looms specified, and there may be a need to put on an LC3 bumper with the different tail lights to fully comply with the law. You may of course choose not to do that but I won't recommend that on an open forum :)

I'm a bit surprised actually. Have you seen a 120 with the rear seats in place? You won't get anyone over 7 in there comfortably for a long trip, and I don't think you'd get child seats in there either. And once the seats are down there's about as much room for luggage as you pack a chihuahua into :). The 120 is considerably smaller inside than a 100. The oy reason they can advertise the 120 as an 8 seater is because it has that fancy seatbelt in the roof. I would reckon it'd oy be able to be used as an 8 seater if Snow White was driving ...

Before you commit, try have a fitting session with all proposed occupants - the rear seat is tiny, with no footwell ...

Just my 2c ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
My first question would be 'why a petrol??'

The diesel is, I think, just as good. If you take a good long look at the specs the petrol doesn't get you much, especially if you put in the TTE chip, which Cody you'd soon recoup.

But to answer the question, yes a door with the mount on it should fit. I'll know in a few weeks for certain. There may be a need to put in a new siding loom - there are two different looms specified, and there may be a need to put on an LC3 bumper with the different tail lights to fully comply with the law. You may of course choose not to do that but I won't recommend that on an open forum :)

I'm a bit surprised actually. Have you seen a 120 with the rear seats in place? You won't get anyone over 7 in there comfortably for a long trip, and I don't think you'd get child seats in there either. And once the seats are down there's about as much room for luggage as you pack a chihuahua into :). The 120 is considerably smaller inside than a 100. The oy reason they can advertise the 120 as an 8 seater is because it has that fancy seatbelt in the roof. I would reckon it'd oy be able to be used as an 8 seater if Snow White was driving ...

Before you commit, try have a fitting session with all proposed occupants - the rear seat is tiny, with no footwell ...

Just my 2c ...
It needs to be petrol for the LPG conversion. From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be any more or less space in the third row than there is in my Prado, which is fine because it is just used for the kids - of which I have 6... :D

Rear door with the spare wheel carrier successfully fitted to my LC5 - some pics to follow when it's not raining or dark - maybe about May 2011, I guess :lol:

Busy man. You'll be getting some snow at the w/e to try it out, unless you've had a bit already. :thumbup: We're due some too. :clap:

Put in a Kaymar spacer to ensure the wheel doesn't catch - can now go to a 285/70x17 successfully.

Couple of piccies:

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00032.jpg
    DSC00032.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 814
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 331
more pics:

The spacer:

69c5d1e6.jpg

16d7505d.jpg

The extension on the right is for future use - mounts and extendable worklight and an antenna...

30fa20b7.jpg

9417b585.jpg

Tyre back on - there is a decent gap now:

806e1f1f.jpg

3078286f.jpg

9ba62a4d.jpg

And with the wheel cover on - ready to GO!!!

0169350c.jpg

c7183611.jpg

Had the 'new' rear door glass tinted to match the rest, so now I have to stick on another club sticker and flag, and wheel be ready for June!!

:)

Attachments

• 69c5d1e6.jpg
    69c5d1e6.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 160
  • 16d7505d.jpg
    16d7505d.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 30fa20b7.jpg
    30fa20b7.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 9417b585.jpg
    9417b585.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 806e1f1f.jpg
    806e1f1f.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 3078286f.jpg
    3078286f.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 9ba62a4d.jpg
    9ba62a4d.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 0169350c.jpg
    0169350c.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 138
  • c7183611.jpg
    c7183611.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 132
Nice job - clever idea with the sticky out bit for future add-ons :cool:

I was considering popping an extension arm onto the swing out 'I' did for Muxley. Question: Would the antenna mount need to be above roof level or not for optimum performance? Previous reading suggests yes but then I might as well bosch it on the roof...

Thoughts? :ugeek:

Guess it's more on how the ground plane would work - and for CB it's moot anyway as the range isn't that great, and usually we're all in visual range anyway so it wouldn't matter too much. The bracket on the side of this is touted as an HF antenna mount,, and those HF mounts I've seen are usually below the roof line anyway because the whip is so damn long anyway. JW doesn't drive with his HF antenna deployed anyway, and he has the VHF and CB at roof height on the rack. I will probably stick the cb on the roof with a mag mount and the VHF on the roof rack with a proper roof rack mount :)

The 'D' pillar is a popular choice for a permanent mount, and I quite like where Tommo has his stuck on - wouldn't work for me due to the roof tent over-hang.

Probably best plan is to have a couple of options and try them in the field and see which one works best?

True enough.

I have been using a mag mount with a springer in the middle of the roof & it works fine for the laning/convoy situation IMHO. But, I trashed it on the last mishun when it got caught in a branch & pulled the cable out of the moulded block on the mag mount...

When I went back to find it (cheers KW & D.) it was still hanging off the farkn branch!!!

I have a Sirio Hi-Po whip to mount & can't decide whether to play like the rest of the boys & put it on the front bumper or go off-piste & put it on the back as previously suggested...

:think:

If you've got a mounting lug up front I'd put it there. If nothing else it's a good aiming point for pilgrims ... :)

Furry muff, front it is - I need to get that front bumper finished off... :doh:

Sorry for the dig @Gary Stockton but can you confirm that we can change from a rear door without the spare wheel mount for a door with spare wheel mount? Been trying to sort this out but seems not many people do it.

A good thought, that Karl, as the door hung spare blocks off o/side rear light when open, which is why extra factory light assemblies in rear bumper on door hung spare model.
Mine is 2006 lc3 no air bags.
Will the mot man ever twig though, as they don't open door on lights check ?? Depends on how savvy they are.

Last edited:
Back