120 Series Air Suspension / TEMS replacement

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

My Aussie suspension has arrived, so in the next two weeks or so I'll be having a go at replacing it. It all looks pretty good - the airbags are made by Firestone, so that's good news!! They're bigger than the originals too so that'll be a benefit. Looking to get 850mm wheel-arch to bottom of wheel rim, which should be about 40mm lift or so. The replacement process looks pretty straightforward - I have to slot the top mounting air pipe hole to get the elbow air-fittings in, but no big deal..

The shocks are adjustable and look great - the front springs should also give a 40mm lift, and are heavy duty to cope with the turbo diesel motor, winch bar and winch (future toys :lol: :lol: )

So - first question :D

The front shock / springs are in bits still, and need assembly. Do I need to put on new Front Suspension support assemblies or re-use the existing units? I've still only done 35000 miles, so the existing stuff should be OK - but maybe I should replace them anyway just to ensure that everything is new, including the rubber bushes ...

Comments on a postcard, as always ....

Thanks

Gary

At 35k I would re-use what's there unless it's obviously worn. 2 reasons - not wanting to make the job any more expensive/complicated than it needs to be and keeping the number of things changed to a minimum in case of having to diagnose problems.

Sounds like an interesting little project you about to do :cool: Pretty quick shipping from Aus.

Does TEMS do anything for body roll in corners and self leveling or is it purely a jack-up/jack down thing for offroad?

TEMS is supposed to self-adjust based on driving style and road conditions, and can be set from soft (comfort) to firm (sport) :shock: in the vehicle. There is a slight, but noticeable, difference between the two extreme settings, but even on firm with the roof-rack and RTT there is significant roll in the corners - well, I think so, anyway :D

The Oz guys have been brilliant - always respond next day, ordered in all the parts on the strength of a verbal 'OK' from me, TNTd it over PDQ and it all looks very very solid stuff. I popped them a mail yesterday about something I wanted to check, and got a reply last night at about 23:30 - so pretty damn early in Oz - been extremely impressed with them.

Now to find someone with hydraulic spring compressors .... :roll: I don't fancy using the Machine-Mart ones to do all this - far too much PT. And I was kicking myself yesterday - I see I could have ordered the front shock and spring already assembled for a few $ more ...

Gary Stockton said:
Now to find someone with hydraulic spring compressors
Would your local Kwik Fit or the likes do you a favour for a beer token or two???

Ummm - I've had one too many poor service experiences with those guys to trust them with anything this important ;)

The last issue was they managed to strip a wheel stud :shock: For Pete's sake - they were asked NOT to use a rattle-gun, and look what happened - didn't listen. Then - I must buy the replacement and take it to them for fitting??? I think not ...

But I'll find someone ... :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Or maybe buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-QUALITY-H...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item588883900b

!BYSzDdQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlwLjKBKgwsvkyzw~~_35.JPG

Attachments

• !BYSzDdQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlwLjKBKgwsvkyzw~~_35.JPG
    !BYSzDdQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlwLjKBKgwsvkyzw~~_35.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 99
That's the sort of thing that I have been looking at Gary. Reckoned that I would use and then flog it if I ever needed to do coils again. Well worth not having to use the damn stupid threaded things.

Chris

Gary

After having replaced my wheel bearing, it might be worth considering splitting the lower arm from the steering knuckle, supporting it from underneath of course (I used a small trolley jack), and then lowering it gently and it will uncompress the spring. You should be able to drop the shocks and stuff then too. From memory, that should work OK.

Back