Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1967 fj45

simon 45

Hello All,

I briefly posted on the land cruiser net www when I bought my fj45. Now it seems most of you are here I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

Recap: I bought my 45 from OZ with few spares. It's been here a year now and I'm still nowhere near starting work on it. (Its very solid but I want to restore it, refurb axles, disc brakes, fit V8, bodywork suspension etc).

I've just started posting on here because I want to start the ball rolling with help rebuilding the axles (see Technical section): I posted there asking for recommendations as to who does this sort of work to a good standard. There are a couple more pics there also. Wanted to say hello to the 40 series section which I reckon I'll be visiting a fair bit in the future.

Going to be a long journey this one!

all the best
Simon

Attachments

• IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 919
That truck looks amazing is it the colour or the bigger wheels? Like it

More pics please

Good luck with it I'm restoring a BJ41 it's a long old slog esp trying to fit in work and other stuff but it'll get there

tonytoyota

Hi looks good I have a Fj45 and a fj40 with 4.L Diesel 6 Cylinder in the fj45 is a 1977 pick up I love the look of the 40 good look with it Tony.:thumbup::thumbup:

That is nice, with all the 40's I have had they have always been later models. The earlier ones with the round indicators and high wipers look great. Does it have the steel doors(no plastic door cards?) Do you have original seats?

Thanks all, I like it despite it's scruffiness. It is 40+ years old! My wife much less than impressed with it, to the point where I have to store it "offsite" at a local farm.
Yes it has steel doors (I know what you mean). I have the seats but plan to get some reproduction seat covers + foam from the states eventually.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all, I like it despite it's scruffiness. It is 40+ years old! My wife much less than impressed with it, to the point where I have to store it "offsite" at a local farm.
Yes it has steel doors (I know what you mean). I have the seats but plan to get some reproduction seat covers + foam from the states eventually.
If the Mrs don't like it I feel in the interests of a happy marriage you'll have to sell it to me. It's really for the best you'll thank me in the long run

Are the wings curvier than the later models?

:icon-biggrin: So, I don't think the wings are different but I may be wrong: I think the round indicators and big tyres make them look curvier. I'm working on a Lotus at the moment which I have to finish to make space but I'd so prefer to be firing into this truck instead.

Hi hope you can finish the 45 it looks good,your wife will thank you in the long run,it's worth the hassle believe me I've just finished a HJ47 to its original state and took lots of work and $$$$$,but it was worth it.

Status report (not much to report)

It's been a while and I don't really have any progress to report (I have to finish another car before I can get into this). However I have got the ball rolling by sending the truck over to a friends to start the body work. Here's a picture of it loaded up to travel from Crewe to Norwich on my mate's not-insignificant trailer.

He's going to strip it and repair all the dings (no rust) and then get it blasted and primed. Hopefully by the time that's all done I'll have space in my garage to tackle the chassis / engine.

I have managed to sort a couple of bits for it: New rear tailgate and a rear disc brake conversion kit for the standard rear axle.

Also due to change of plans will have some parts for sale which I'll list on here: Original FJ / HJ 45 / FJ /HJ 47 LWB pick up bed (4 hinge) imported from Australia so in very solid condition (not the one in the photo) and a full Old Man Emu spring, damper set up (brand new) 2.5 inch lift. Let me know if anyone wants more details.

cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 429
Simon could you please PM me some details of the bed please.
I know I will kick myself if I don't ask about the lift kit aswell.

Hi Simon can you pm me:icon-biggrin: with the cost of old man Emu springs and damper set thanks a lot tonytoyota.

Hello All, thanks for interest in pick up bed and lift / suspension kit. I've finally listed them in the classified section.

Took the old tray back off and placed the original style version on the chassis. Pleased!
Also I like the way the wheels (33's) are tucked under and not sticking out too much but predictably need more offset as there is a clash on front steering arm.

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 228
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 250
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 235
Hi Simon,

My brother Tonytoyota told me about it, look great and good look and if I can offer any advice it would be get it under cover before the rust monster gets a grip. :icon-cool:

Mike.

IMG_3290-smaller.jpgIMG_3291smaller.jpgIMG_3292smaller.jpg

Finally work begins, engine, box and front axle out. Stripping the cab for blasting. I have too many projects on at the moment so am not doing the work myself. Also when it comes to the bodywork i don't have the skills anyway.

Plan with chassis and powertrain is a dry build with new front axle, small block chevy block loose assembled with heads and headers and 5 speed box. Spring over axle. Objective is to do all fabrication before cleaning it up and painting / coating and re assembly. Long journey.

Hi Simon good to see you getting on with the fj45 love wot you R planing on it will have to come and look at it one day love the old fj45 keep up good work thanks for the pictures tonytoyota.:icon-ugeek::clap::think:

Hi Simon how R you getting on with the fj45 I can not weight to see it coming on good like with it love the back and the 33 tonytoyota :laughing-rolling::thumbup::wtf:

Back