Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 Land Cruiser

nucisotopes

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Land Cruiser with 152k. What should I look for in potential problems and mainantance issues? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nucisotopes

A lot of topics about this item :)
- check the bottom of the car: all rusty? or ok?
Rust isn't allways a real problem, you can get it off and give it a new rust protection black paint, but it gives a view what people did with the car
- does it have diff locks? center? or also front+rear? The lights on the dash need to be permanent on when they are engaged. When they keep on flashing there is something wrong. Sometimes easy fix, sometimes very expensive (new actuators)
- check the axles for any free play
- are the big end bearings replaced? needs to be done around this mileage
- injectors? replaced or checked?
- leaky windshield? A lot of 80's have a leak at the front windshield or A pillar, check the floor mats
- an 80 normally starts with one click of the key.
- springs ans shocks? original? or lift?

3 litre, 3.4 litre,4.2 litre, 4.5 litre? 80 series, 90/95 series? different models have different characteristics so for a better directed answer we could do with knowing which model you are considering as there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Andy

Ow, I assumed it was a landcruiser 80 :), so 4.5 petrol or 4.2 diesel(turbo)

If my eyesight was better I would have noticed it was on the 80 forum page oops......

Andy

Its not that mint VX TD blue one vicar owned thats polished weekly, never seen salt and had seat covers on the leather seats all its life is it? you know, the one thats occasionally seen in the Clay Cross and south Chesterfield area in fine days.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oi, Lomas, go and boil yer head in a bucket why don't you!

You know that one was cat C write off. Act of God it would seem.

C

Been a couple of weeks since you bought one to be fair, mate.

C

Back