Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AMAZON 4x4 VX DIESEL MANUAL TD

Alot of are thoughts when buying is that we can do the work without taking to garages. Start adding supper rates to a truck and the cost go sky high. If your happy you walked thats good. Just be careful that setting your sights so high you may not find the PERFECT one. These are old girls now.

Yes Karl I agree viewing the next one should be very educational. How much would a front diff rebuild be if I do it myself. Also I have never rebuilt a diff, would the knowledge/support on this forum be good enough for me to attempt it. I have tools and love doing work myself

Second hand diff around 350. I know you didnt ask that question but if your looking at a truck with a noisey diff you can use that price to shave asking price:icon-wink:

I personally wouldnt do a rebuild on a diff myself. We have a inhouse diff doctor that may drop you a pm if you ask nicely :icon-biggrin:

You didnt mean a front axel rebuild did you? If so, with help on here you should manage that:icon-wink:

very good info thanks Karl - will ask nicely when I get my wheels, hope the service will be offered to junior members as well :)

Tobie

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One thing to know is that you need oil in the diff and grease in the hubs. The seal between the two goes and you end up with oil in the swivels. Don't worry. All this can be sorted with the axle refirb. But, what you do not want is grease in the axle. This can have pretty catastrophic effects on the diff. If you are going to look at an 80 in detail, you should be taking a 24mm socket to remove the filler plug on the front diff so that you can see what's in there. It's not easy, but if clear oil runs out then it's good news. If there's no oil as it's run out of the swivels, well, again it's something to think about. But if there is soup in the diff then it's really not good news. However, this worst situation is generally the most rare.

No I'm not bidding. I want something a bit tidier than that

I was actually tempted to take a 24mm socket......

We think alike Chris. Are you planning to look at the one that's re-appeared?

they're not rocket science but you do need the right tools and parts to do it properly really and then there are options like solid spacers which I almost always make and fit when doing a rebuild these days which you need a lathe for. I'm not fussy who I rebuild them for :lol:

No, I'm not. As I said a few mins ago, I am after something tidier than that.

C

they're not rocket science but you do need the right tools and parts to do it properly really and then there are options like solid spacers which I almost always make and fit when doing a rebuild these days which you need a lathe for. I'm not fussy who I rebuild them for :lol:
Bit cheeky to ask but for future reference can you do Salisbury diffs too? ​its for a Land Rover.:icon-rolleyes:

I've only ever done various types of Landcruiser diffs so I don't know about Salisbury diffs. The main problem would be if any shims needed changing - I have complete sets for the various cruiser diffs I do. If it has side adjusters for the carrier rather than shims and the pinion depth shim didn't need changing then I probably could.

I believe they have shims. They also need the axle to be spread slightly to get the diff out as the axle housing is designed to provide pre load on the bearings. Apparently they are a bit of a sod to do if you don't have the right tools.

Back